The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Disc 8 (amazing Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklin's Tower).

2. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

the thing about the bo set was it's rarity with the boys as a backing band. nothing adventurous musically as you can hear as expected for the type of material but for those of us who were there it was loads of fun to see.

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I believe the only other 72 two verse Dark Star was on 7/26/72. Next appearance of the second verse was...I think 12/31/78?

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

12/31/78 is not a two-verse "Dark Star". Jerry plays the vocal melody on guitar, and they go into "Wharf Rat".

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Disc 4.

wavethatflag, JRM and budwhite like this.
  7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Fantastic! Many thanks from a Berkeley alumnus/Dead Head.

It turns out that Dead audiences had something to teach skeptics about responding to sound beyond the conventional spectrum of audibility — in this case a test signal that shouldn't have been perceptible but clearly was:

Generally if a tone or voice is below the ambient level it’s very hard for the brain to hear it,” John said. “At the Grateful Dead shows we were down 100 times below anybody’s ability to hear this. After about half an hour the audience started to scream and stomp. So maybe we should stop. Then they stopped screaming. It’s just a coincidence. Let’s wait a little while and start up again. There’s no way they can detect this. It’s just impossible. They started screaming immediately. This isn’t making sense. It’s impossible, but somehow they sensed it. They can tell. We have all these ideas about how things work, but there’s so much we don’t know.” That’s one reason John disdains the widespread use of compression in digital audio, which throws away tremendous amounts of information to make sound files easily transmittable.

8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Any preference on which version? SDB or the matrix? etree has both

9. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

This week's DeadPod: second set from 3/19/77 at Winterland.

10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I only have experience with the miller sbd. You can stream them here> miller sbd and matrix first if that helps, although I don't know exactly how they may or may not match up elsewhere. Whoa first time with the new interface.

budwhite likes this.
  11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I was only aware of two: a Charlie Miller seeded in 2008 and an audience. I listened to the Miller. There are probably others, I'm not sure.

budwhite likes this.
  12. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

13. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Listening to 3/27/85 Nassau, the first of 19 shows I would see in 1985. The 3/28 show overshadows this, but it's still a good show, notable for Half Step returning after 3 years away, and the first Tom Thumb.

14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Disc 1. If I happen to be in the mood, I will continue with disc 2, and so forth, this run deserves to be revisited over and over again. I still remember the thrill I felt when I received this little box back in 2008.

15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

What set is that from man?

16. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Alice D. is a fun treat, and it gets unexpectedly spacey. But the GSET is Almost Dead in very fine form, the final three minutes = diamonds.

Zafu likes this.
  17. wavethatflag

That would be the Winterland '73 box. It's three shows, and a bonus disc from Cincinatti if you acted early (and I did). :D

18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I'll never forget the Phil bombs during the 7/2/88 Jack Straw in Oxford, Maine. We were fairly close up on Phil side and he was grinning and having a lot of fun with it. Coincidentally, or perhaps not, I later sold anti-nuke bumper stickers on tour that said "Leave the bombs to Phil!"

19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm not very fond of the disc from Cincinatti, but it's been many years since the last time I gave it a spin, so I might check it again if I happen to go through the whole set again.

20. wavethatflag

As I sit here I can't remember what's on it. Truth be told I appreciate some bonus discs just for the limited run factor. Although the bonuses included with Dave's have been pretty crucial.

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

To be honest, the only thing I recall is a version of "Eyes of the World" that was not very satisfactory to my ears. I remember some out-of-synch playing in the (hell, how can I describe it) the "written" section of the song's coda, after they change of key. Very bad description, ain't it?

22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It's probably the weakest material released from '73 by a good margin. There is also a very long, spacey Dark Star, but it is far from my favorite version.

23. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    "Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy" --Ludwig van Beethoven

4-14-72, Tivoli Concert Hall, Copenhagen

My slow roll through the E'72 tour continued this week with several listenings of this fantastic show. Last night I listened to most of the second set again, and again today I heard Good Lovin' through the end. This may be the best show I've ever heard. I've tried, but I can't think of anything better. The first set is solid from beginning to end, including standout versions of "Black-Throated Wind," "Playing in the Band," and "Tennessee Jed." I also enjoyed Jerry's reading of "You Win Again." Fairly rare tune as these things go, and nicely done. Such understated and tasteful presentation as only Jerry can do.

The second set reached brilliant heights on "Truckin'," "Dark Star," (top 5 version)... but somehow, Pigpen (with some help from his friends) managed to steal the show with a Good Lovin' > Caution > Good Lovin' that was a funky, nasty, drinkin' and gamblin', howlin' beast for 30 minutes. And, as if that weren't enough, we get NFA > GDTRFB > NFA, and an encore of "One More Saturday Night" that is a real screaming ass-kicker.

Honestly, I don't know how you can improve on this. But we'll see! In order, I rank the first 4 E'72 shows: 4-14-72, 4-8-72, 4-7-72, and 4-11-72.

24. wavethatflag

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha! You've been bitten by the E '72 bug. There is no turning back. Once you've come down with Bozo-Bolo Fever, you'll never listen to the GD the same way again. Never! Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!

DrLunchbox, US Blues and Zafu like this.
  25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

"Dark Star"? Where? I was talking about the Cincinnati bonus disc.