Bruce Springsteen archive release Nassau 12/31/80

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by windfall, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As this is a new mix, does this mean that the multi-track tapes were transferred to digital using the Plangent Process before they started the mixing process? I'm also wondering if it was mixed to digital. If it was I guess it would've been mixed to 24bit/192kHz, which, of course is also what it was mastered to and released in.

2. jamiehowarth

jamiehowarth Senior Member

Yes we was.

3. There was a Houston show DVD in the Darkness box.Rumour has had it the best quality filmed show from the River tour is from Tempe.

4. 8-20-84 was a long night, it was a special night.

Y'know?

daveidmarx likes this.
  5. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Reason #4395 why you freaks are awesome: at 8:35 this evening, I received a lovely LIVESPRINGSTEEN email notifying me that the Nassau show is available for download . . . 26 hours after I had already seen this thread and bought, dl-ed, burned, and popped the show into yon CD player.

Adam9 and budwhite like this.
  6. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

My hope is that for the River box, we'll get a remix of the album (anyone who buys the set will already have the remaster of the original mix), a disc or two of outtakes, and DVDs or Blu-Rays of the Tempe '80 show and the 2008 (?) show at MSG where Bruce and the band played the Entire River album in sequence.

oh1 likes this.
  7. Yeah, it even sounds good on YouTube.

8. Red

Red Forum Resident

Then I am seriously worried about my hearing, not joking here. It sounds truly awful IMO.

9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Why can't anyone in Bruce camp bother with writing something about the show and how they did the sound?

I mean a text file or something added with the download files.

It's great to have Jamie here to clear a few things out though

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  10. jamiehowarth

jamiehowarth Senior Member

All correct. We did the multitrack transfers at Sonicraft and all were digitized at 192/24, plangent processed at the lab and mixed by Toby Scott. Mastered by Adam at Gateway.

Andrew Smith likes this.
  11. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

BETTER THAN SEX. :D

12. budwhite

Sampled a few songs yesterday. Sounds good but I was expecting Hammersmith quality but it's not even close.

I hope later shows will get more care and sound better. I'm not expecting to many real live albums from Sony so if this is it, make it count

I know you can't polish a turd but I get the feeling that the archives could sound better

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  13. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

In addition to what Alan75 says, technically the Houston video in the Darkness box set was also released on Blu-ray. I'm not sure what benefit it gives over the DVD version though because it is SD video and mono audio. Perhaps there's a little more bandwidth that could be dedicated to it or maybe it was just not to confuse customers (e.g. "why did I pay for a Blu-ray box but there's a DVD inside?").

14. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I have not purchased any of the official downloads yet because quite frankly...I am fine with the unofficial releases that have circulated for years. But this show was too epic to pass up! So I downloaded it last night in 24/192 and only got about 50% through and plan to listen to the rest of this marathon tonight. I think it sounds great - almost like a really strong FM broadcast or Pre-Fm. I don't understand those who are reporting awful sound or in particular - lack of bass. The latter perplexes me big time. I listened on a modest Dac/Amp setup with the notoriously bass-shy Grado 225's and bass was where it should be.

JQ

15. budwhite

Eight songs in.
    This is a big letdown for me. I hate the piano and thought that the show would sound better over all.
    Way to many ifs on the archive series so far

16. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

No disappointment here. Really enjoying this set. It is noticeably better than my boot which I've had for ages. There have probably been upgrades along the way, but I never bothered getting them. My only complaint (and it's minor for me) would be that the guitars aren't up enough in the mix for my personal taste. Ready for the grand slam next release of 12/15/78. :winkgrin:

johnny q, rburly and qtrules like this.
  17. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Other than Grateful Dead releases I usually loathe live albums but the 1975, 1978 and this 1980 shows are fantastic and all that I have been listening to.

18. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Yes, there were some problems with Roy's piano. Roy has commented before that his piano was out of tune at the Nassau shows. Something to do with the temperature inside the venue. Still, I'd rather have the original performances, warts and all, than a polished mix with overdubs.

Carserguev and babyblue like this.
  19. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I'm buying it for that reason only! Now if they would just put the studio version on a CD or download.

20. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

As much as I like the front cover image, to me it still needed something, so I changed the font to the "proper" color! Not content to leave it at that, I also make rear cover art along with inside tray art as well! The cool thing with the tray art is that if you have the double-cd case open all the way, it looks like one long strip of film! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brettster808, dajokr, JL6161 and 7 others like this.
  21. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

2009. November 8th, to be precise! I had the good fortune to be at that show. The show was on a Sunday and I remember how excited I was when I'd read in Friday's New York Post that Bruce was going to play 'The River' in sequence.

22. budwhite

God damn it! Poured beefeater and vermouth in the shaker and bam - what a great ****ing show it is! I don't care about sound issues right now. Second set is amazing and it must been a good ten years since I listened to the whole show. This is the Bruce we love. There is nothing quite like it - what a show man!

dee and qtrules like this.
  23. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I'm buying it for that reason only! Now if they would just put the studio version on a CD or download.

daveidmarx likes this.
  24. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I'm not disappointed, but I hear what you're saying. The overall sound on all these releases are better than the boots but far from previous official releases. They are what they are. Keep 'em coming.

25. If it was on film but they don't have the original negatives there's not really much point in releasing it on Blu-ray. If the source is SD video or film transferred to SD video then a standard DVD-Video release should be sufficient. You could argue that more SD content would fit on a Blu-ray disc than a standard DVD-Video disc, but that's a debate for a different thread.

If any of the shows from The River tour were filmed I just hope all the original negatives are still intact. A Blu-ray release in this scenario would make sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.