Marshall Tucker Band on CD recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

"Where We All Belong"- remember, that record is a combo of studio and live. Good sounding disc(s)..

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

The Englishtown 1977 disc is for fanatics only.....sound is very rough.

MikeT and Myke like this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I saw them 15 times from '74-'82, George McCorkle babysat my son once, but I don't want anything that sounds that bad.

4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Are the samples on amazon enough to tell how bad it is?

5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

6. Myke

7. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I saw two of the Shout Factory remasters in the used bins today for only $5.99, but they reeked of smoke! :mad:

8. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Those are loud/compressed anyway. I like the originals better.

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Line discs? They are great from the ones I have heard but very tough to find for a decent price.

10. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

11. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

The first two and Carolina Dreams are my personal favorites. The recent vinyl releases of the first two were not bad.

12. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Actually the first album is on Line, but I think it's the only one.

13. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Huh, I did not realize that. I wonder how the Line compares to the AJK disc. Line is a German disc right? I have the Line discs for the first two Judas Priest albums.

14. Myke

I'm just happy to see people still enjoying them after 40+ years. Recently spoke to both Doug Gray, and Paul T. Riddle via this here electronic computer communication thang.
    Y'all enjoy !

15. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I loved them up through Searchin For A Rainbow. I had the vinyl and I neglected to buy the CDs until the Shout Factory reissues. They are a bit loud but not unlistenable.

My original CDs of Capricorn releases by Greg Allman and Elvin Bishop sound better.

16. eelkiller

I have 5 discs on MainLine, I believe the studio albums AJK did come out on the WG label in 1989 so I apologize if the AJK's came out prior to that. I don't see the year of release on the AJK discs.

Catalogue numbers of MainLine discs I own
    S/T - MCD9.00866
    Long Hard Ride - MCD9.00881
    Searchin' For A Rainbow - MCD9.00872
    California Dreams - MCD9.00899
    Where We All Belong - MCD9.00875

There are two others I have yet to acquire.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    SOONERFAN likes this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I hope whoever posted this thread realized you can find original vinyl of all the Capricorn era albums for something like 20 bucks total.

18. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Curious how those compare to the AJK discs. I only have the AJK and Shout discs.

19. Myke

Yeah, that was the time Brian Wilson came down to Capricorn ! Yeah, him and Gregg Allman wandered off together for a while, but then Brian....Brian goes " I want to record with the Caldwell Brothers damnit ! " Yeah, so I remember Toy sayin'....

:winkgrin:

20. eelkiller

Yep I ****ed up, and did not catch it within 30 minutes. It was inevitable that it would happen again, there is an older post with the same typo.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  21. eelkiller

I prefer the AJK discs for the 5 where I own both, personally I think you are all set.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  22. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

The remasters cds are a little on the load side but they still sound good. Just do some adjusting with ur volume.
    All their 70's stuff is great. the original vinyl sounds excellent.

23. eelkiller

I guess I really should look into getting the Ramblin' CD's for the later material eventually, nice to see this thread resurrected.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  24. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I recently added the MTB Ramblin' discs "Running Like The Wind", "Tenth", and "Dedicated" to my 7 AJK discs for the first 7 albums. This thread has me interested in going a little further into their catalogue. I have been listening to and kind of like the sound clips from "Tuckerized" and "Just Us" so I picked those up as well since I found them cheap. I had read that "Tuckerized" is supposed to be one of the turds in the catalogue but I kind of like it. Now I'm starting to talk myself into "Greetings From South Carolina". I previously listened to clips from these later titles and decided I didn't need them but I now feel different. I do feel like the 1st seven MTB albums are the best hands down. I just really like this band.

Myke and eelkiller like this.
  25. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

Something changed after Tommy Caldwell passed. It must have been tough for Toy and while the albums were beginning to be less than "excellent" thoe in the 80’s really started to decline in quality IMHO. The
    As one that I play straight through is Carolina Dreams. I did however make a nice 1 cd comp from the rest that followed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.