Tell me about the Dynavector 17d3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ghost rider, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was talking to a salesman today mostly about the XX2 but something he said about the 17D3 made me think I should look more at it. He said it had more detail coming from a AT-OC9ML/II it may be more to what I'm used to.

2. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I had one, it's a very detail oriented cartridge, it is slightly lean sounding and more to the analytical side. I would say it closer to the early style of Lyra cartridges than the Dynavector sound. I personally liked it but i favor that sound.
    If you liked the OC9 you will love it.
    Speaking dog to dog

Tommyboy, Raylinds and ghost rider like this.
  3. ghost rider

Thanks that's more or less what I was thinking. The thing is the OC9 is the only good cartridge I have ever heard. I may prefer the Dynavector sound, like the XX2. The 17D3 is more in my budget.

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, a bit "cool" sounding, though neutral. Picking the right phono stage likely should balance out any coolness. Very nice cartridge, via excellent transfers I've heard made through one. I remember hearing of someone having issues with its very short cantilever - with warps, IIRC?

ghost rider likes this.
  5. ghost rider

I'll be using the McIntosh 2500c. Not changing that ,this year anyhow. Interesting about the cantilever but I have vinylflat records don't stay warped for long.

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I have the 17D3 and it is just dead neutral. Excellent detail and frequency response, plus great tracking. Not bright or thin but not fat or lush, it can be loaded to sound a bit bright or a bit dark if that's what you want to do. As good as the Karat is, the XX2 is way better at everything; that's a serious cartridge.
    -Bill

7. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

When I was choosing between the 17D3 and the XX mkII, my dealer had similar feedback about the 17D3 being on the cool side of neutral while the XX2 had the better balance between detail and warmth. I wanted to stay away from any possibility of a brighter sound, so I ended up with the XX2. Thing sounds awesome, especially after about 100hrs. Of break in.

- Buck

ghost rider likes this.
  8. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Is this definitely the case? I'm considering both of these cartridges at the moment, and I definitely prefer speed and liveliness to warmth, but I guess if the XX2 can give you both it might be worth the extra $$$.

ghost rider likes this.
  9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It's totally worth it if it is within your reach. It has greater dynamics and an overall more full and natural sound. Both are very neutral in terms of having a flat response, but the XX2 has more body in the mid bass and its separation and dynamics are amazing. You might hear the Karat as having a very exact and matter-of-fact sound, not embellishing but revealing, where the XX2 has that as well but includes more of a "you are there" presence to it. I would say that the XX2 is warmer in that regard but it doesn't lose any resolution and has greater dynamics, so it's not a lateral move at all. I simply cannot afford one!
    -Bill

ghost rider, nitsuj and Jtycho like this.
  10. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Sent you a PM ghost.

I have a XX-2 on my Classic and it's without a doubt an amazing cartridge. Completely blew away the Soundsmith I had for realism in the music.

ghost rider likes this.
  11. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

There was a useful group test in HiFi Choice (I think) recently which rated the 17d3 pretty highly but the Ortofon Cadenza Red as quite a bit better all round. In the UK they're about the same price.

People match the D3 with Regas but this is quite a lean sound IMHO.

ghost rider likes this.
  12. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Well you guys probably appreciate the high frequencies more than us humans.:p

ghost rider and Nielsoe like this.
  13. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Before I went Denon/Auditorium 23 and I was considering upgrades to my DV20x2L, I inquired with a few local dealers about the 17D3 and the XX2. The response was always the same: If you can afford the XX2, get it.

ghost rider likes this.
  14. Upinsmoke

I put quite a few hours in using a 20x2l and xx2. I have a xx2 on my table now. Till I heard it myself I never knew what a good cartridge the XX2 was.

Most of the sound in the system comes from the cart and speakers. I found the table made just a small difference compared to the cart. I really feel if I never got rid of my technics 1210 and put a xx2 on it I never would have wasted my money on a VPI table. Well waste is a strong word to use, more like it wasn't worth the "slight" improvement offered from it.

Put your money into the cart.

ghost rider and raferx like this.
  15. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I have a 17D3. I love it. The tracking is impeccable, and it's tonal accuracy is amazing. It likes a higher mass arm, and requires more than typical anti skating due to the short cantilever.

ghost rider likes this.
  16. kfringe

kfringe Well-Known Member

Yup. That's what I did after wearing out my 17d3. The XX2 is better in almost every way.

The 17d3 actually does seem to have the better treble reproduction -- and it is incredibly even handed -- but the XX2 is the more lively and musical package. Sometimes, though, I still miss that 17d3 treble. It's just special. I don't know another cart in its price range that comes close.

On the other hand, it's nice to have some real slam on the bottom end.

Daniel Thomas, raferx and ghost rider like this.
  17. ghost rider

I ordered the XX2 today.:D

avanti1960, raferx and kfringe like this.
  18. ghost rider

Thanks for all the comments. This is a big jump. Two years ago I would have never even considered a $2000 cartridge or even a turntable costing that much. Had it not been for the considerably lower price of $1300 for the Scout LE I may still have only my old Project debut with aV15. This really opened the door for me.

19. kfringe

kfringe Well-Known Member

It's only half the jump. Wait until you go to mount it.

I remember the first time I mounted a cart that cost more than a new fridge. I'm not sure my sphincter has unclenched yet. I had to keep putting it down until the shakes went away, all the while swearing at myself for being the kind of idiot who'd spend money on something that fragile. I was convinced that I'd break everything and never be able to afford to play a record again.

These days, I just remember to have a cocktail or two first, I don't think about the cost, and I only swear at myself after I've finished. I do, however, tend to mutter about how much I miss p-mounts.

ghost rider and nitsuj like this.
  20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

LOL ! That's how I feel when working with a $1k cartridge. Mine cost as much as my table.

Imagine then installing a Te Kaitora Rua on a table and that you couldn't afford the cartridge or the tonearm that it was being mounted to! And being in the customer's house, so cursing was not on the table. ;)
    -Bill

kfringe and nitsuj like this.
  21. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

awesome! can't wait to her your impressions!

are you hearing anything about "break in" time? i actually logged the hours on my DV20 and it sounded great after the first install and revealed a sweeter smoothness after 70 hours.

22. Upinsmoke

The soundsmith screws make it a piece of cake

23. Upinsmoke

Its one of those cartridges that sounds really good brand new. No getting used to it or having to wait to know what its like

24. ghost rider

Yea I got the shakes just thinking about it. One good thing about the JMW arms you can set it up in a comfortable position. I'm glad I had a couple of practice runs with the AT-OC9.

25. ghost rider

You guys got me thinkking so I wipped this up it is very stable.

[​IMG]
    upload pic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.