Star Trek is almost 50. Will Trek come back to TV?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by benjaminhuf, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The production values are good but the scripts have failed to impress me all that much and the pretty awful IMHO.

2. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager about equally. But as you can see by my avatar, I'm doing a tiny bit to help the campaign to get Deep Space Nine rebuilt for HD, as has been done for TNG.

lukejosephchung likes this.
  3. I think refurbishing DS9 would be the next best thing to actually getting a brand-new Trek spin-off series on the air...would love to see these episodes in full 1080p resolution and getting the love and care "Next Generation" got the past 2-3 years from CBS...:righton:

robertawillisjr and benjaminhuf like this.
  4. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I've been watching the Trek movies this past week, all of 'em. I really wish, rather than go back and start over, they would have continued on after the Enterprise E, so many new ships could be designed and brought to "life." I think that would be a great point to start a new TV show. A new crew, new Enterprise, new enemies and challenges.

5. DLant

There's some nice exterior shots of the Enterprise A in that.

image.jpg

image.jpg

old4mat likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If it's directed by William Shatner, how good could they be?

7. DLant

Btw, that's the sexiest ship Starfleet ever had, IMHO.

jriems likes this.
  8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Each series after TNG got worse and worse. Let the franchise live on via movie sequels if they must.

9. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Only if they could do movie sequels that were not based on JJ's Kiddie Land view of Star Trek.

10. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Honestly as bad as this will sound, I am totally tired of Klingons, and Romulans.

Do something entirely new. More exploring more things that are bigger than a culture with some issue.

Laibach likes this.
  11. DLant

That's what I'm saying. The Borg, Romulans, and Kligons are played out. Something new and really vicious.

Attached Files:

13. I'm interested in Singer's take on a reboot. It would never happen of course but its interesting. By the way, the reason previous alien species keep showing up on the movies is because that's what most of the fans want. When "Enterprise", for example, introduced the Xindi many fans wanted theRomulan war introduced instead.

14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

That's Trek fans for you. They want things they've never seen before that are familiar to them. :D

dkmonroe and fitzysbuna like this.
  15. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I actually liked Enterprise even though most trek fans did not .

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. DLant

I didn't think it was too bad, save for the theme song...

hidden1one likes this.
  17. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

It's been a long time....

I really liked Enterprise. I thought it was too bad it didn't go on for a season or two more than it did.

SandAndGlass and DLant like this.
  18. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Looking back on all of the series with an open mind now. My feeling are very different than when I initially viewed most of them

STTOS,..... very fun, kidna dated, kinda goofy, but entertaining, and at times quite good.
    (Originally thought it was the greatest thing ever)

STTNG.... Great acting, great interplay, great stories. A bit bland at times, but maybe the best compromise overall
    (Originally thought it was lame but good a lot better last few seasons)

Voyager... Good idea in theory, but very annoying characters looking back. It did not age well for me at all.
    (originally loved it and looked forward to it...)

DEEP SPACE NINE...Decent still, but very claustrophobic feeling. The ferrengi annoy me, has not held up in some ways.
    (liked it a lot.....originally)
    Enterprise.........Uh ...not able to really watch all of them, they can not hold my interest. Not bad not good, just not all that interesting, although it should be...?

19. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Wasn't Enterprise the first (of now many) times the writers attempted to change the timeline?

The premise of a pre-Kirk Star Trek was interesting: Establishing the back story of the relationships between the Andorians, Tellarites, Orions, Vulcans, Klingons, Romulans, and the UFP. But this apparently was too restrictive a canvas for Rick Berman & Co. It started out well, but before you know it, there's a new time line and now a race Kirk's time never encountered called Xindi appear.

The "Star Wars-ification" of Star Trek was started by Berman and Paramount/CBS really don't care how low it goes now. It has sadly become little more than an "explosion movie" franchise. :(

kevintomb likes this.
  20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Deesky likes this.
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Good news, everyone. Maybe. I'd love Trek to come back to TV, but I'm not overly confident that a broadcast network cam pull it off today. I'd be much happier if a premium cable network were given the reigns, even if it meant, say, a 13 episode season. Then again, it could all be vaporware.

Encuentro likes this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'd love to see Star Trek come back, but, really, like most of you, not quite as much as I'd like to see a Coach reboot.

Solaris likes this.
  23. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

I liked TNG because of all the plays-on current events - morality tales - stuff that made you think - Picard weighing pros-and-cons of his actions - that had a big effect on me as a kid - in the reboot - any vestiges of that is just window dressing on top of a boring action movie - the series subsequent to TNG were ok (some episodes great - some episodes so-so) -though it lost a lot of that quality TNG had - science fiction used to make you think - the ratings are going to be about the same regardless of what they do - I hope they don't just go for the lowest-common-denominator.....imagine if they could do it like a really intelligent AMC series or something... more Vince Gilligan and less J.J. Abrams(!!!!)

24. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I think there's some potential in more Star Trek for TV if they can find a way to do it right. The "pre-original series" has been done, and the parallel series have been done...go forward again like they did with Next Generation. The problem though is that those with the $$ are not so willing to give things a chance before canceling as they were back then - these days ST:tNG would have been ditched after the first 2 or 3 episodes.

And ffs...give it a finite run - that really helps a lot when writing plots and planning for an end...be true to the original...a 5 year mission, 12 or 13 episodes per season, lots of potential there.

25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Lemme just stop you right there.
    Actually have read some comments on TrekBBS recently indicating that Shatner's direction is by far one of the best elements; most seem to bag on the visual effects and story moreso.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.