Converting higher bit rate songs to 192 kbps AAC (iTunes feature)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Darby, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darby

Darby Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've got over the capaticity of my iPod and the quality raries from 128 kbps to 320 kbps, the majority of the songs are in 320, I think.

Although, by using the iTunes feature which automatically converts songs to either 256/192/128 I can fit them all on by using the 192 function.

Has anybody got any idea how much of an effect this will have on someone who is neither an audiophile nor someone who really wants 128 kbps. I just want to be able to fit all the songs I've spent a lot of time uploading onto my library and be able to fit them on without having to purchase another mp3 player.

Would you use the function or just use up all the space I can without editing or converting any songs and keeping them in there original format.

2. If you convert a higher bit rate lossy file to a lower bit rate lossy file, the end result will be inferior than if the file was converted only once from a lossless format. Data is lost in each conversion. The same is true no matter what the bit rate. I wouldn't recommend doing any modification to a lossy file.

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

If your library is lossless and you are using the iTunes synch feature to convert files to AAC for your iPod it does not effect your "master" files in your library on your computer. It's a convenient tool for those who wish to put as many songs as possible on their iPod. As far as sound quality that's up to the individual. For me for mobile listening on earbuds the AAC 256 are find.

Galley likes this.
  4. sakuraba

sakuraba Forum Resident

Once they are lossy (mp3/AAC), don't convert them to other bitrate mp3/AACs.

I've always preferred v0 mp3 for the best compromise (to me) between size and quality.

Find a way to re-convert the 128kbps files from the originals, and deal with not having your *entire* collection on the ipod at once.

5. stephenlee

stephenlee Forum Resident

That's not always true, is it? If I've got a Constant Bit Rate mp3, my understanding is I can convert it to a Variable Bit Rate mp3 using MP3Packer or WinMP3Packer (http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=MP3packer) without any loss in quality. And it also works in reverse (VBR to CBR) without quality loss.

So that would be your best way to reduce the size of your mp3's. Convert them to VBR.

6. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Why don't you try converting a few songs and see if you can hear a difference? Why speculate when you can hear for yourself at no cost and no obligation :)

stereoptic likes this.
  7. Darby

I agree 256/320/192 are great for me, however, only if they were originally in that quality, whether they were downloaded or purchased and came like that.

8. Darby

I try and I just go round in circles in my mind, I feel like I can tell a difference but I think it's because of the fact that I know they've been converted down.

9. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Never heard of that, and I'd find it dubious - BUT, it's from Hydrogen Audio, so being a LAME fan I'll absolutely read up on it.

Still, I'd likely never re-convert an mp3 file to a different sample rate. I'd go back to the lossless file and re-convert from there.

lbangs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.