Star Trek is almost 50. Will Trek come back to TV?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by benjaminhuf, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yes?

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The published critics, time, and the box office would tend to disagree. From Wikipedia:

Critics generally gave The Final Frontier poor reviews. The film holds a 21% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 43 reviews, with the critics consensus "Filled with dull action sequences and an underdeveloped storyline, this fifth Trek movie is probably the worst of the series." At Metacritic, which assigns a weighted average out of 100 to critics' reviews, The Final Frontier received a score of 43 based on 16 reviews.

I think the movie was jaw-droppingly awful beyond belief. I saw it in the theater and spent half the time saying, "WTF???!!!", and the other half thinking, "why did I spend money to see this piece of crap?" The scene with Uhura stripping was possibly the nadir of all of Star Trek, in my opinion.

[​IMG]

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

No, nobody's claiming it's redeemable :p just that Shatner's direction is not a major issue with the film.

Uh, it's Latino Review. Since when have they ever been right about anything?

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Shatner was personally involved in the script, and I think 90% of the problems with the film are related to story, direction, pacing, and structure. It's a horrible, horrible film. I think Shatner demanded a chance to direct because he'd had experience directing some TV episodes of T.J. Hooker and was jealous that Leonard Nimoy had done well directing two previous Star Trek films. When a film bombs this badly, the director is a large part of the reason why.

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

A very brief Google search would lead one to believe otherwise. They seemed to have gotten a number of scoops. This is just one hit I found when I typed "Latino Review Reliable."
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ignition/news/?a=90183

6. BeatleJWOL

Eh, I like it anyway. Wins brownie points as the scenes with the Big Three are spot on, even if some moments are rather cringeworthy.

That "Deck 92" business during the turbolift shaft escape scene is a howler though.

We shall see, then. Trekcore yanked its post about the same story citing uncertainty about the source.

I'm about done with this whole clickbaity "a source says" type of entertainment coverage, anyway.

The other issue with the TREK IS COMING BACK TO TV WOO rumors is that there were a small group of fans absolutely insisting a few months ago that it was happening and they had a date for it and it had to do with Bad Robot's contract with Paramount finally ending (which then, surprise! didn't), etc etc. Would not be at all surprised if this comes from the same source.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Star Trek III isn't out for at least a year, and people are already worrying about a contract ending? Contracts can always be renewed. The movie is coming out in July 2016. Guaranteed, if it goes through the roof, they'll renew the contract.

8. BeatleJWOL

These were not rational people making these assumptions. The same people were convinced (by one or two who had "sources") that there was no script (Bob Orci had already written one or part of one), no director (which wasn't true for long; Orci out, Justin Lin in), and no budget (yeah uh anyway). Exactly the opposite happened regarding the contract:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jj-abrams-bad-robot-productions-775037

Severe JJTrek hate going on there.

9. I'm one of the Original Series fans who grew up in the '60s that enjoyed the 2009 & 2012 J.J. Abrams reboot movies...all the gossip that's been going on about Paramount & CBS' plans for 50th Anniversary by Fanboys & Geekettes has been highly entertaining to me...if there IS, in fact, a new Star Trek TV spinoff in the offing, I look forward to it and will reserve judgement until the finished product is available to see...the same goes for "Star Trek 3" in the theaters next year...

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  10. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

11. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I have to admit that I turned 40 this year and was a huge fan on ST:TNG but I never really watched any of TOS. Just bits and pieces here and there (though I had seen most, if not all of the movies). Last week I started watching TOS during my workouts and I have to say, that I really dig it. :)

12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I think ST is done on TV.
    I would like to see an official web-only series. That I'd watch.
    I know there are some fan created ST stuff on the web, but I'm not up to date on them.
    Can someone recommend me the ones to look for?
    So I can do some catching up?

Darryl

marblesmike likes this.
  14. I disagree. I think "Deep Space Nine" Improved on STTNG.

Rfreeman and Deesky like this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I see no reason to...

16. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I'd be extremely happy to see Trek return to TV in one of the established timelines of TOS, the films, or TNG. The reboot simply isn't true Trek. I tried hard to like it, but I really do not.

17. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

There may not be anyone left alive to interview.

18. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I pretty much agree and would like to see same.
    I'm watching Babylon 5 with my wife now, which benefited from a 5 yr cap to its run and a planned story arc.
    Though Trek doesn't need to be THAT serialized- my ideal would be a half-serialized, half-standalone stories, like X-Files tried (but failed) to do.

While we're fantasizing about hypothetical Trek TV, I would also like it to be on FX. With Justified ending, The Americans being consistently entertaining, and Louie generating conversation with every episode, that is a network that has figured how to deliver well-directed and paced entertainment that could help bring Trek up to date.

I just don't like Trek movies. Ok sure Wrath of Khan is a fun adventure but Trek was made for bite-size adventures with interesting ideas not drawn-out action/adventure movie-by-rote structures.

19. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I'd like to see a re-done The Original Series, with really good actors filling the roles and good storylines (no dated 2015 drama BS), like as if the show had never been cancelled.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There are hours and hours of interviews in the vaults, plus Nichelle Nichols, George Takei, William Shatner, and Walter Koenig are still alive and kicking.

wayne66 likes this.
  21. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I would like to see a live action remake of The Animated Series and the computer game episodes. That would last for two seasons. Then in 2018 a new series based upon the old Phase 2 concept. New actors would play Kirk and company on their second five year mission. In the timeline, its after The Motion Picture, but before Wrath of Khan.

22. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Already being done (though you could probably quibble about some of the actors)

23. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

They should hire some actors, yeah..

24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Never, for the life of me, could I figure out how "Ringworld", Asimov's "Foundation" and David (The Troubble With Tribbles) Gerrold's "The War Against the Chtorr", never made it as a major motion picture or a miniseries.

I agree, that Ringworld could be adapted to the Star Trek universe.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Plot Synopsis: In the distant future, a planet full of retards with potato guns manage to take over a United Federation of Planets starship and go beyond the end of the universe looking for God (A worthy tribute to Mack Sennett).

Quotable: Kirk - "Why does the almighty need a Starship?" (something along this line, to painful to watch again)

Action Scene: Senior engineer Scotty, after 72 TV episodes and 4 prior movies, has yet to learn to duck under bulkheads and gets knocked out. (Mack Sennett is grinning ear to ear from the grave)

What's not to like?

With the silver anniversary of Lost In Space just around the corner, maybe Shatner could pitch the network to direct a redux episode, I'm thinking, the one with the angry vegetables, this time as a 2-hour made for TV special! (Shatner could don one of the costumes as a cameo).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.