Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

There are pinkish-clear ones, clear-clear ones, and the matte-pink ones -- the matte-pink ones are the problem, the others are ok, though a lot of those clear ones are way too small and have to be replaced for that reason. RTI refuses to use decent inner sleeves for some reason, though MoFi supplies their own for the records pressed there.

2. Billy boy

Billy boy Active Member

Yeah both of the ones I have are too tight. They're the clear opaque type.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  3. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

Agree they are too tight.

4. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Here is a thread discussing QRP's pricing, which includes the cost of inner sleeve options. I'm not sure if RTI operates the same way, but I imagine that if a label wanted to use a different sleeve then they could for a fee per LP. If that is the case, MM likely just thinks that the default sleeves are good enough and the margins maybe aren't big enough to afford an upgrade without passing the cost onto consumers. Just speculation, though.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/interesting-the-price-of-good-vinyl-records.422497/

5. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

I don't think this is the case. Pressing facilities use inner sleeves that are requested and paid for by the label. I've had records from RTI come in cheap plain white paper sleeves (recent OJC reissues), poly lined paper sleeves, printed inner sleeves, etc.

mikeyt likes this.
  6. Billy boy

Billy boy Active Member

I dont know where they were pressed but I have 3 Classic Records Blue Note re-issues and each inner sleeve is different.

7. Billy boy

Billy boy Active Member

Does the fog clean off? Does it affect the sound? I've noticed it on my copy of The Big Beat.

8. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

I personally swap out the inner sleeves because I prefer the Sleeve City ultimate inners (http://www.sleevecityusa.com/diskeeper-ultimate-audiophile-inner-sleeve-p/312nlps.htm), but to be honest the RTI sleeves are OK and do not damage the records. Seems to be another internet myth being created....

Any residue left on the LPs after stamping does wash off if you want to do that, although I have never bothered, but is not unique to RTI, and has nothing to do with the sleeves. Its part of the pressing process!.

timmikid likes this.
  9. Billy boy

Billy boy Active Member

Any residue left on the LPs after stamping does wash off if you want to do that, although I have never bothered, but is not unique to RTI, and has nothing to do with the sleeves. Its part of the pressing process!.[/QUOTE]

OK Cheers for that. I always clean my records with a Knosti before I play them. Looks like I need to try giving it another clean. Still not keen on the inners though.

10. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

Yeah, me neither, but I think they are pretty harmless over the medium term.

11. Billy boy

Billy boy Active Member

E="antielectrons, post: 12098534, member: 26904"]Yeah, me neither, but I think they are pretty harmless over the medium term.[/QUOTE]

That's the main thing. I will get them replaced in a couple of weeks. Thanks for helping to put my mind at rest.

antielectrons likes this.
  12. Don Mason

Don Mason Member

My vote for the best inner sleeves goes to Pallas. They use those waxy off-white poly lined paper that slip in and out of jackets easily and they look durable too

johnnypaddock likes this.
  13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Okay, since we're talking waxy and non-waxy inner sleeves in the Music Matters thread, I don't ever want to read anyone harping about those who post regarding quality control. :p

Meanwhile, forgive me if I missed this, but has anyone compared the new 33 of Empyrean Isles to the 45rpm? :)

14. timmikid

timmikid Forum Resident

I completely agree, although being suspicious of the blueish first run of inner sleeves, I also replace the better inner sleeves from the latest batch. That's my choice. I have not really compared Empyrean Isles 33-45 rpm, I have just spun it right out of the box. The sound was stellar, yet there were quite a few random tics and even repeating tics. I washed the record on my Clearaudio and, phew, the record played perfectly. Ofcourse one can't wash off nonfill, but many seeming defects may disappear after washing the dirt off and maybe killing some off the static. I am, as I'm typing, going out off my head listening to this fantastic record! Wow! It's been a while since I played the 45 rpm, strange isn't it? How the mail man can revive the love for an album!

antielectrons likes this.
  15. AnalogJ

I finally got back my second replacement for the 33 Maiden Voyage, the prior two having non-fill issues. Well hooray, no non-fill on this copy!! I'll leave this to sit for a second.

However, there is almost constant crackling throughout this copy, worse on side 1. On side 1, it sounds like there are a half-dozen small scratches over a half-revolution. Imagine taking a guitar pick and running it quickly over the six strings with your left hand over the frets to keep the body from resonating, just leaving the quick ticks of the light strum. The volume is just at or below the level of instruments playing quietly, And this repeats throughout the entire side, the same rhythmic crackling.

Side 2 has some repetitive crackling, but it's a bit more inconsistent.

I have twice tried cleaning this copy with the 2-step MoFi Super Deep Clean and Super Record Wash via my Nitty Gritty and things have not improved.Perhaps I need to borrow your Clearaudio. ;-)

All of my other 5 Music Matters records have had pretty quiet surfaces. Even the prior two copies of Maiden Voyage were quiet except for the non-fill. This one has no non-fill, but the crackling. :-(

I'm tired of sending this one back (this would be the third time -- and that's costing me shipping, about $20 for all three copies in total, assuming I ship this one back), but I'm not sure I could put up with that crackling, particularly on side 1.

16. timmikid

timmikid Forum Resident

A Nitty Gritty should do the same. If your needle is clean, this sounds like bad luck! I must say I have played my Maiden Voyage, but only in the background, while I was cookin'. I will play it again for critical listening.

17. AnalogJ

Thanks. I was only kidding about the Clearaudio. If it's crackling exactly the same way the entire length of the side, there has to be something about the pressing itself which can't be removed. If it were something removable, I'd think it would be more random. I can't see anything on the vinyl.

18. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Have you ruled out static electricity?

19. AnalogJ

I don't think that static electricity would explain a repeated pattern of ticks/crackling, do you?

20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

That is the down side to these (or the vast majority of vinyl/vinyl reissues) is missing out on the bonus tracks. Fortunately it is usually just alt takes, and Lion/Wolff were masters at selecting the best takes to appear on the album. But occasionally there is some new music left off. I'm not new to Blue Note; I have the vast majority of the catalog for music I like ripped to my server. I make index cards with notes and leave them in the album jacket in case there is extra bonus tracks or particularly alluring alt take from a CD/Mosaic set I will listen to it after the album. I used to have notebooks of my listening notes for jazz and classical. Lost in the great Canada to US move :(

The good news for people new to this music is at least a good 80% or more is available to stream on Spotify, with a pretty nice built in Blue Note app.

It cleans off with Disc Doctor Miracle and a couple of water rinse/vacuum steps afterwards. In my experience AIVS solutions are less effective. I've bought really old RTI pressed vinyl that had the residue on them and haven't had any problems cleaning it off with my method yet. I too switch them out with different inner sleeves, usually whatever I have on hand, Disc Keeper or Mofi.

Does anyone leave the jackets in the stock Music Matters outer sleeves? I love them, they are big enough for the gatefold, easily slide off and have a pretty cool hype sticker.

21. Gabe Walters

It could.

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

What about having the LP cleaned using an ultrasonic cleaner? There is a guy on this forum, the Record Genie, who does this. I think he's in the Boston area. Worth a shot and it will give you a much deeper clean. At this point you have nothing to lose. Either that or get a refund.

23. AnalogJ

I doubt it. Not with one entire side sounding the same and the other inconsistent. Please tell me how that could be possible?

24. AnalogJ

I'd be willing to give it a try, but I'm otherwise going to send it back.

25. Gabe Walters

Static buildup can effect an entire side. When you flip a record, you alter the static charge. I was just asking if you'd ruled it out.