is this DCC of Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall a fake or a real promo?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Massproductions, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Massproductions

Massproductions Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I won a sealed copy of Steve's DCC version of Judy Garland at Carnegie hall on ebay for $99.00

I was a little suspicious that a brand new sealed set was selling for this cheap.

The packaging and printing looks real. It has the slipcover, booklet, all inserts look offset printed, glossy, etc.

However, the black screen-printing of "Promotional Use Only-Not For Sale" on the hub made me jump.

It's a gold disc, and I can't tell it's a CDR. I checked it with Toast to see if it comes up as a CDR and it says "CD". Still I'm not sure..

Usually Promo CDs have the packaging stamped as promo, or a cut out.

How can I tell if this is a fake? Steve Hoffman? would you know if this is a DCC promo or a boot?

Perhaps someone that has this CD set could tell me the matrix numbers on the mirror band on their copy?

[​IMG]

2. Yes, the matrix number is exactly the same as on my copy. Looks like the real thing to me.

3. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

It's real. I have a few DCC promos (Ringo, At the Speed of Sound) and they look the same.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Methinks he just wanted to brag....:shh:

5. Massproductions

Nope, just concerned that I might have been ripped off on ebay. Which seems to happen a lot lately, which is sad.

6. Massproductions

Yeah I found some pictures on google of other promo DCC CD's and they looked the same too. Phew!

7. By the way, what is the DCC set going for nowadays on eBay?

8. Massproductions

well I paid $100.00 for a sealed set. I've seen sets for less, but opened, often the slipcase missing, and some wear on the discs.

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No such thing as a sealed set if the disks are marked promo. Wouldn't be sealed. In fact, the disks came in blank cases, no artwork. Someone put promo disks with artwork and sealed it all up.

10. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I used to get DCC promos all the time, mine came all opened with all of the artwork and the promo stamp on the clear area.

The seller probably re-shrinked his open copy to sell as a new disc, a common practice at indi stores.
    That promo disc is bragging rights bubba ;).

Dave likes this.
  11. Massproductions

well everything looked really mint, no fingerprints on the discs, inserts, or any evidence that it was used/handled before.

12. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

My former boss did that all the time, buying boxes of open promos from different label reps and re-wrap them.
    At least the shrinkwrap protected it from the elements and human hands.
    I still have my DCC Josephine Baker 2-CD promo in the longbox, I wished it was the Garland set.

13. whatnow?

whatnow? Forum Resident

Did the sealed package have the 24 karat gold sticker on it?

14. Massproductions

I don't think so

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Looks legit to me. Great, great disc(s)!

16. Massproductions

I don't really care if it was a reseal as long as it's in mint shape ( which it is ) and it's legit ( which everyone confirms that it is ) because this CD set is for keeps.

17. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

How does the 40th Aniverary release compare to the DCC?

18. The DCC has drier sound, whereas the Capitol 40th has slight reverb. Both are great.

19. OpenMindAudio

OpenMindAudio Member

Regarding cost, I see a DCC Gold on eBay listed for $64.99. Don't know if that's good price or not but I recall I paid about the same for my set a couple of years ago, the same version - which to my ears sounds quite awesome. Not being a Judy Garland fan before listening to this, it was really something to play the CD for the first time and be blown away.

Judy Garland At Carnegie Hall [Gold, Hoffman Remaster] (CD, 2000, DCC) »

20. It is a pity the brochure with notes by the late Scott Schechter is not to be found here.

21. OpenMindAudio

OpenMindAudio Member

Yes - I'm not sure I'd pay $35 for the brochure (price difference between this and the great find by Massproductions) but it's very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.