Why are Michael Jackson's vocals low in the mix sometimes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warewolf95, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Yes, as Bobby stated above the best place to start with the Jacksons is Destiny. Triumph is their magnum opus. A personal favorite of mine is their self titled debut with Epic.
    It features my all time favorite Jacksons song which was a #1 hit in the UK.

CrashU, andy75 and warewolf95 like this.
  2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I do. About 2 years ago my parents had a very nasty divorce. I fell out with my dad and my mom had to leave the house, so, because I hate my dad, I went to live with my awesome grandmother.

I can't exactly move a record collection and loads of cds, etc, 450 miles without a really good reason, so I sold off about half of my albums to a good friend who was just starting to collect vinyl - my entire Queen, Dylan and Beatles collections, to be precise. Lots of rarities as well.

It was a good time to "clean the slate" though and get rid of some things.

Luckily, my dad and I have almost reconciled and actually in about 6 weeks Ill be going to see him for the first time in a year and a half and claim my things.

I had to leave my amplifiers, one of my guitars, my turntable, and all my vinyl/cds/books/ etc, so Im freaking out now :)

I didn't have a single music store in my area, but over the course of 7 or 8 years, I built up a big collection of things. My dad's company car gets free gas, so every summer we would take these awesome road trips to see our family 2000 miles away (Florida-Connecticut).

On these trips we would stop anywhere and everywhere. Flea markets, antique stores, any record shop, etc. and I'd splurge the money I'd saved all year mowing lawns, lol. I would pull some serious hauls sometimes (I'm still really surprised how much I was able to amass)

Etc. etc. etc. thread derailment etc. etc. etc.

:)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. warewolf95

I've only recently gotten into History as well.

I've always been a fan of MJ but until this past year it never really "clicked" with me. I think History can be a lot more enjoyable if one knows/understands the context of the time in which it was made. It's a very personal album.

:)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Who knows how this thread started anymore?!:)

I've read your profile (as you know) and remember a lot of this now. Sad to lose those Beatles and Queen goodies, though! Please let us know what happens in a few weeks.

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

HIStory was surely recorded at his darkest time.

warewolf95 likes this.
  6. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

There was just a thread about Mick Jagger being down in the mix on a lot of Stones tracks ... These guys are so great they know they don't need to be front and center all the time.

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

JohnnyQuest knows his Jacksons!

I'm one of the few people in the world to like the 1984 Victory album too. I don't care what you all say!:)

JohnnyQuest and warewolf95 like this.
  8. warewolf95

Yea, losing three serial no. copies of the White Album with posters and prints and my mono Sgt. Pepper..... At least I still have my 3 zipper copies of Sticky Fingers! :D

I figured, I really needed to let some stuff go for space and moving reasons and I didn't want to become a packrat, so I figured I might as well desensitize myself to losing things early, lol

It's quite funny - I got my record player from some 90 year old guy at a yard sale, brand new, who was selling it for 5 dollars because he thought it was broken. It was a 200 dollar radio/turntable set. All he needed to do was flip a switch on the back. I don't like to scam old people, but come on... :)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. JohnnyQuest

You're very lucky. :) When I was a child there was two superheroes that I Idolized and they were Michael Jackson & David Bowie. :love: When I rediscovered his music in early 2009 I was blown away by the quality of the album cuts and outtakes. I was aware of his Pop Icon status but I didn't know that many of the songs that didn't make the cut were just as incredible as the album tracks. That's what hooked me and turned me into a MJ fanatic. As with most of my favorite singers I became obsessed and burned myself out by the end of the year. Lol I still admire him and all the work he did with Epic/Motown and he will forever have a spot in my top 5 favorite musicians of all time.

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. warewolf95

That's interesting to hear - I've never once heard a Stones track with Jagger's vocals too low... mmmmm. I'd like some examples. :)

11. Bobby Morrow

For saying you're only 19 you have/had some pretty great stuff.. You obviously have an eye for collecting so I'm sure you'll have no trouble amassing even more as the years pass. As you say, it's good to have a clear-out, though I usually find I miss the stuff I've gotten rid of terribly. It feels like betrayal!

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

Don't go getting him into Bowie too!:)

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  13. warewolf95

Also, not to turn this into a thing about whether he is/was guilty, but I really, truly, honestly believe, from everything I've read, seen and learned about from this past year of research that he was innocent and basically got taken advantage of for money.

I really think he legit liked kids in an innocent way. That might not sound right, I know, but being abused as a child probably left some impact on him and what I get from him is that he just wanted kids to have, like, the best childhoods they could have, etc.

I just can't help but admire him for that.

Of course, he was dealing with all kinds of stuff in the 90's and got sent on his downward spiral. He got really jacked up and it's just a shame how the last decade of his life he was so ****ed up.

14. warewolf95

I have been incredibly lucky. The thing I'm still killing myself over is that I once came across a mint original Their Satanic with the 3d cover, etc., for 50 bucks and I passed it up because I already owed my dad 300 dollars from that day..... never seen another one since.... :(

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

The thing is, you know what you want. You've done it before and you'll do it again. When your finances improve, obviously! The above is one of those awful things that haunt collectors.. Hopefully one day. Though it may cost more than $50 then!!

One thing I'm troubled by from earlier... Why THREE zipper copies of Sticky Fingers?!

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

So...Michael Jackson...

I haven't heard the "mixed low" MJ on anything I have. Bruce Swedien wanted the whole thing to sound like an entire package rather than Michael + band and that's how it sounds.

Ed

andy75 and warewolf95 like this.
  17. warewolf95

I didn't know that. Next time I listen Dangerous I'll have another perspective :)

18. JohnnyQuest

If he was guilty about something he wouldn't speak so freely about it in the interviews I've watched. I have a feeling that he is innocent and was taking advantage of.
    It's a shame that those allegations has somewhat overshadowed his musical/performing accomplishments. :sigh:

I'll try not to. :p Once I'm in Bowie mode there's no stopping me. Lol

warewolf95 likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

He may already be a Bowie fan.. I think we could both help him down that path if he isn't!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  20. JohnnyQuest

I believe so. As long as we steer him away from "Never Let Me Down". :p We don't want to scare him away. Lol

21. warewolf95

Well, the first one, the packaging was in great shape but the LP was completely knackered. The second one, the LP was in great shape but the packaging was knackered. The third one, well, it was five dollars and in decent shape so why not! :)

I''ve literally NEVER found a copy of Exile. Anywhere. It's like my stupid holy grail because its one of my favorite albums of all time and I'm shocked I haven't at least seen it anywhere. What the crap? I've seen a 3d Their Satanic and not Exile......

I pride myself on knowing, generally, what things were collectible/rarer/etc. so It was pretty easy knowing when to skip over things or not to pass something up, etc. :)

My favorite "surprise" find out of everything was a copy of "Innuendo" by Queen. In a dinky, hole in the wall store in Connecticut, I was rummaging through some bins looking for KISS albums and I found it. An original UK copy in perfect condition aside from a very slight corner crease in the cover. $10.

A lot of times the best things find you when you're not looking for them. I didn't sell that to my friend, haha :)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. warewolf95

I'm very interested in Bowie - let's put it like that.

I'm big on artists that are very original or individualistic. I get bored easily, so the more intriguing an artist the better :) (but then again, AC/DC was my first obsession...)

There's a lot of Bowie albums I like a lot but overall I can't seem to make that jump from "I like this. This is good." to "**** yea, new Bowie album! OMFG", haha

I really, really like:

Diamond Dogs
    Station to Station
    Low
    Heroes
    Lodger
    Earthling
    Hours
    The Next Day
    Tin Machine I
    Tin Machine II

There's not really anything or any album I dislike and I would call myself a Bowie fan, but I'm just....not completely there....I think. :)

23. JohnnyQuest

You have a few of the essentials in your list like Station to Station,Low & Lodger (Imo). I'm surprised that you don't have Hunky Dory,Ziggy Stardust & Aladin Sane. :eek:
    Those are must haves for every Bowie collection. It's mandatory. It's difficult to appreciate his evolution as an artist without those albums. I'm also fond of Young Americans. It's interesting to hear Bowie explore the sounds of Philly Soul.
    Earthling is another personal favorite. I feel as though his take on Industrial is quite fitting and couldn't be more natural. Yay! The atmospheric sounds blends in very well with his outlandish lyrical themes! Lol
    I've never enjoyed Hours because of it's quiet,simplistic,toned down approach. It's a little boring and the only good use I got out of playing that album was listening to it before I Zzz. lol
    I like how you skipped past a whole decade's worth of Bowie material. :laugh: It's not as bad as people make it seem. When the bar is set that high anything that's not masterful or up to Bowie super high standards will be viewed as a low point.
    That's not entirely bad considering how Bowie's low points still ranks above most singer's artistic peaks.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    warewolf95 likes this.
  24. warewolf95

As far as the essentials go, yes, I know they are the essentials (and I do enjoy them now and then) :)

That's nothing against Bowie - whenever I get into an artist, the essesntials always end up being the last albums I get into (for whatever dumb reason). I always get drawn to the "lesser" works first. Don't ask me why :p

I particularly like Hours because I am really drawn to that whole late-90s melancholy thing that was going on at the time. Don't ask me why :)

What are your thoughts on Outside? That, along with Let's Dance and Scary Monsters is really the only album I've not heard. Outside seems interesting but also dense, lol

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  25. JohnnyQuest

I understand what you mean. My favorite Bowie album is actually the black sheep of his catalog which is "Never Let Me Down". It's widely hated by the critics and fans alike :sigh: but it holds a special place in my heart.

warewolf95 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.