POLL: Jimmy Page Will Take Your Career Directive- Choose Them Here!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paperback Writer, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LSP

LSP Well-Known Member

The rockers among us welcome JP/LZ's increasingly frequent interruption to Mojo's tedious & unwarranted Beatles hagiography.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  2. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

That's just commerce. They know a Page interview shifts copies. An article on his many musical thefts would be more interesting, but then they kill the golden goose.

3. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I went the Clapton vote as everything he does is magic. :agree:

4. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

"Yeah. I love that store. Next time you go in there , talk to the old British guy with the grey hair. He really knows his blues and 60's stuff..."

ARK and Paperback Writer like this.
  5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

He practically IS done, so I don't see what everybody's complaining about. Last album in 1998, last public performance was the Zeppelin reunion, is him saying, "I'm retired" really going to give you that much satisfaction?

6. dkmonroe

That's Sting, silly. :laugh:

7. dkmonroe

Yeah, Jimmy - quit calling up Mojo and insisting they do cover stories on you! NOW, young man! :laugh:

8. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

I'd like to see a combination of some of the latter options. A double album, one of which is electric with a band but features some of his trademark "guitar army," and the other acoustic/experiemental, where he goes off on Celtic/Folk, again with layering and lots of open tunings. Then tour and play somewhere near Milwaukee, WI.

9. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

It's too late for Page. Frankly, I have never seen a musician of the stature he once enjoyed do so little with a career. Except for the debatable value of two mediocre Firm albums and the sub-mediocre Coverdale-Page, he has done virtually nothing worth hearing in the last 35 years. At least Beck and Clapton have kept themselves busy, and have even come up with some memorable songs during that span. So I voted retire.

10. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

All elderly rock stars...who are intent on rehashing.

I mean I love the Stones, but man, I isolated Keith's guitar track by accident on Shine A Light and it sounded like Courtney Love being thrown down a flight of stairs while still plugged in :)

Clapton makes a movie about his final tour and retiring/saying goodbye to all of his close friends (in Dubai?), and the week after it airs new shows are announced.

As for Page/LZ, if you have to tune down a step and a half for the singer to sing... I did enjoy Page and the Crowes just because it was different and three guitars, but even that was 16 years ago now!

Picca and Paperback Writer like this.
  11. dkmonroe

Well, to be fair, that's Plant's problem, not Page's. And I never hear any calls for Plant to retire.

I think Page played much better at the 02 gig than he did with the Crowes.

12. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I don't really care to see him trying to re-capture the flame of his LZ days. I chose for him to play English folk and Celtic music. He has long had an interest in this type of music and it would be good to see him actually explore it further.

Scott

13. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

From Wiki:

On 30 September 2014, Page – who hasn't toured as a solo act since 1988 – announced that he will start a new band and perform material spanning his entire career. He spoke about his prospects for hitting the road, saying: "I haven't put [musicians] together yet but I'm going to do that next year [i.e. 2015]. If I went out to play, I would play material that spanned everything from my recording career right back to my very, very early days with The Yardbirds. There would certainly be some new material in there as well..."

Has he really done anything much outside of Zep? For such a gifted guitarist I'm surprised that at the end of Zep when Bonham died he didn't have a more productive career. Always falling on his back catalog of Zep.

14. dkmonroe

He announces something every couple of years, and either he isn't following through or he's perfectionist-ing it out of existence or he's distracted by Zeppelin reissues or whatever. My point is, why do people keep demanding the retirement of an essentially retired musician? As far as I'm concerned, I consider him "retired" until such point as he actually tours or releases an album. To keep shouting, "Hang it up!" at a guy who doesn't tour or release albums seems ridiculous to me.

If he actually does release something or tour eventually, then I'll withhold judgment until that happens.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  15. vinyl diehard

I hear you. I wish he would just stop with the empty talk.

16. vinyl diehard

You may be right. Richie Blackmore did lots after his DP days with acoustic sets.

zen and Paperback Writer like this.
  17. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

That's it. If he officially retired then we wouldn't have all these "next year" comments from him that actually make him look a bit sad and silly because next year never comes.
    Then if he actually did come up with something he could just pull a Bowie. Shock and Awe Jimmy Page style. :D

18. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Elf boots ha ha ha.

Paperback Writer and dkmonroe like this.
  19. Paperback Writer

Paperback Writer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe something with these guys - but after viewing Profesor Page SHREDDING his off the rack Danelectro - and making it sound like a Million Dollars - I don't think they could keep up!

KASHMIR chords -Jimmy Page, Jack White,...
    Jimmy Page (Led Zep), Jack White (White Stripes), Edge (U2). From...
    youtube.com3:505 years ago

20. Paperback Writer

Just noticed almost 6 MILLION views of this video !
    Wonder if Page knew White was going to play a Led Zed song with Plant this week- if he would have been so calm and educational. LOL

21. JayB

JayB Senior Member

This

22. Paperback Writer

59 say retire almost 300 and counting say to play on - in some form or another - of course a lot say to keep doing the archive releases!

thanks

23. dkmonroe

Excuse me, I need to go listen to EVERYTHING Jeff Beck has EVER DONE, RIGHT NOW! :yikes:

24. Charles Buxton

Charles Buxton Forum Resident

Obviously, that train has left the station, but in IMHO the perfect gig would have been for JP to have stepped into BCC when JB walked out. BCC's material is pretty close to what LZ was doing, I'm guessing those guys wouldn't mind covering some LZ, especially Bohham, and Hughes is probably one the best guys on the planet capable of singing LZ songs, other than Robert Plant himself. Plus, everyone of those guys is of the caliber Jimmy would probably be seeking. Jimmy's presence would probably have guaranteed some great size gigs on both sides of the pond for BCC.

25. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

At this point I'll take any reason to keep Page's name/face out there whether it's publicity for a book, Zeppelin related stuff, showing up to guest with an artist on stage at a concert, etc....The guy is getting up there in age so my expectations have changed over the years. I'd hate to see him truly just go away while he is still walking this earth.

I consider him pretty much as a National Treasure musically these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.