The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Listens to first part of set II City Island, Harrisburg '83 last night. Weird show, Bobby mentions the then recent 3 Mile Island incident before the set starts, and the space includes Bobby saying "evacuate, evacuate" while Jerry mimics a siren. Weird, slow early Hell in a Bucket to open the set, with a few slight lyric variations. I don't think I have heard as early a version before, and they were still finding their footing on it. A far cry from later, rocking versions like JFK '89 or Albany '90. Pretty good China Cat -> Rider especially the transition, Phil high in the mix. Interesting, although a bit scattered jam after Playing and a short Spanish Jam out of Space. Started having streaming problems during Stella Blue and bailed on the rest of the set. don't think I'll revisit often but an odd, three-eyed duck of a show and was an interesting one to check out once at least. Rockinlazys put me onto this one. Someone on archive.org said they knew someone from the area who later dated Bobby, and he said they hated the venue, for what it's worth.

ianuaditis and bmoregnr like this.
  2. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I haven't followed this thread at all and at 72 pages it'd take me hours to find the answer. But can anyone tell me what the date is for the only show where the full "Terrapin Station" song was performed? I believe it's an audience recording and not a very good one at that.

3. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

Listening to the Feb 28 show from the Fillmore West 1969 box set. "Doin' That Rag" is one of my favourite tracks on their 1969 setlists. Fits in perfectly with where they were at back then. I think it's the actual keyboard sound that nails it - luv it!

Wingtip likes this.
  4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

They came closest on March 18, 1977 which is the only one with the "At A Siding" section. There are fine Betty Boards of this show.

Barnabas Collins likes this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

7/5/81 Oklahoma - very unique Shakedown, nice Charlie Miller board. Just getting into this one, will report. Ack after hearing more. 2nd set of previous night in Manor Downs is an old favorite of mine.

Claxton likes this.
  6. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Not really much to this show as Crispy said but if you are old enough to have had Air Raid Drills in School it will have you diving for the nearest Table. To make things stranger Phil in Lab Coat, blowing kisses at the crowd... Weirdness abounds!

ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  7. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Don't keep us in the dark for too long...:whistle:

bmoregnr likes this.
  8. Wingtip

Wingtip Forum Resident

Tree-bot, I dig that Feb 28, 1969 at the Fillmore East. Of all the commercial releases, that and Dick's Picks 8: May 2, 1970 are the ones I really hope they release on vinyl.

9. WiseJake237

WiseJake237 Forum Resident

I could be missing something (I hope I am), but has there really never been an official JGB release with a "Reuben and Cherise" on it? I'd really like to locate a JGB show with a good version of that song in it. I know they played it.

10. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

Are you possibly confusing the East (Fillmore East 2/11/69) & West Fillmore shows? The one that I listed (Feb 28) is from the Fillmore West box set and wasn't released on its own. The whole box set would be a killer release on vinyl though. Imagine that...

11. Archtop

I spent part of this evening digging into snippets, as is my usual approach to unearthing nuggets from this great band. Here are some that I don't see mentioned much:
    1. DiP 30, 3/28/72 NY Academy - transition from China to Rider. Great stuff; Bobby's lines are clean and crisp and Jerry has a spiraling lick that appears once, goes away and then comes back again at the beginning of Rider down an octave. Start China Cat at 2:56 and go through 1:00 of Rider. Along the way, there's a ridiculously boppy 8 seconds from 0:46-0:52 in Rider. The very beginning of Rider (a subjective decision, but go with what's on the disc) also contains a really nice decision by Jerry to prolong the jam with some gentle country licks.
    2. E'72, 4/14/72 Copenhagen - Dark Star--> Sugar Mag. One thing I haven't seen discussed is the location of the meltdown relative to the Feelin' Groovy. Most often in '72, the GOGD went into a melt and resolved it with rays of sunlight in the form of Mind Left Body or Feelin' Groovy afterwards. But on 4/14, the Feelin' Groovy comes prior to the melt, showing that dichotomy isn't necessarily realized in the same direction at all times (5/25/72 is another example of this). Notice how the melt lasts right up until the very end of Dark Star, and Jerry drags his ideas from Dark Star into Sugar Mag with a determined, wah-drenched motif that finally ends 0:18 into Sugar Mag. The last time this combo was played, the venerable 4/8/72, Sugar Mag bled a full 2 minutes into Dark Star and featured a melt followed by a lovely MLB jam. Six days later, the melt/resolutions are reversed, as are the meldings of DS and Sugar Mag. I actually think about this stuff!
    3. E'72, 4/16/72 Aarhus - Playing in the Band. This is a crazy show. Not talked about enough. But anyway, my point here is the Playin' jam. Listen to the whole thing, but then focus on 5:47-6:00, and stop and bounce over to Veneta, 8/27/72, and listen to 9:26-9:37 of Playin' (on this latter version, Keith doubles Jerry's lick, which reportedly drove Jerry up a freakin' tree). OK, same lick, slightly different intepretation...
    4. E'72, 5/3/72-5/4/72 Paris - Good Lovin' is played on both nights. On 5/3/72, the band is heavily behind Pigpen whereas on 5/4/72, it's more Pigpen. I prefer 5/3/72, and give a listen to 2:10-3:39 on 5/3. Slinky groove.

12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Pretty surprising, but I don't think there has been an official one yet.

13. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Yes my bad, sorry for the unnecessary drama and build up, but this worked like a charm...

Fueled by my new favorite thing:
    [​IMG]
    I chose a Frankenstein setlist inspired by here that had to somehow had to start with:
    [​IMG]
    Aarhus, Denmark (4/16/1972)
    Disc 1
    1. Greatest Story Ever Told
    2. Sugaree
    3. Chinatown Shuffle
    4. Black-Throated Wind
    5. Tennessee Jed
    6. Mr. Charlie
    7. Beat it on Down the Line
    8. China Cat Sunflower>
    9. I Know You Rider
    10. Mexicali Blues
    11. Loser
    12. Next Time You See Me

Next was the need to keep moving forward but never too far:
    [​IMG]
    Veneta, OR (8/27/72)
    Disc 2
    1. Playing In The Band [19:57]
    2. He's Gone [9:32]
    3. Jack Straw [5:06]
    4. Bird Song [13:17]
    5. Greatest Story Ever Told [5:36]

Then the capper; an instance where I still cannot believe sometimes how well this box sounds— I don't think pound for pound any other official release puts me so completely in the room and totally immersed. It has been quite a while since I pulled this specific disc which turned out to be the total cherry on top:
    [​IMG]
    Winterland (11/11/73)
    Disc 9
    "Dark Star" > (Garcia, Lesh, Weir, Bill Kreutzmann, Keith Godchaux, Hunter) – 35:41
    "Eyes Of The World" > (Garcia, Hunter) – 13:36
    "China Doll" (Garcia, Hunter) – 5:40
    "Sugar Magnolia" (Weir, Hunter) – 10:19
    — Encore:
    "Uncle John’s Band" (Garcia, Hunter) – 7:32
    "Johnny B. Goode" > (Berry) – 3:56
    "We Bid You Goodnight" (traditional, arranged by Grateful Dead) – 3:11

Fun day.

14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I used to love that tape not because it was a particularly great show but, a) I did bug out of the 10 mile zone those fateful days, and b) I did love all of the vocal/pa meltdown weirdness of that show. I will have to dig that one up. They played there in '84 as well, only those two times; and I can understand why it never worked for them.

15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

My usual go-to source here for these types of questions says no official release but nearly 100 JGB outings and 4 GD outings in '91. Here is 3-17-91 and below is a '77 JGB just because I needed to hear it, there may well be better versions:

WiseJake237 likes this.
  16. Archtop

Wow, that 11/11/73 Dark Star is...refreshing, to use a word one might not expect. Very different and specifically exploratory. Thanks for the recommendation. Somehow this one has escaped me.

17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Finished 7/5/81 Zoo Amphitheater, Oklahoma City. Shakedown is the star of this show, with a slow jazzy jam that seems to have been set into motion with a Phil riff. Otherwise, it is well played throughout (and I really like Brent's keyboard sound in that era), but nothing mind-blowing. Very solid, though, with particularly strong versions of Brown-Eyed Women, Let It Grow, Samson, Music Never Stopped and Stella Blue (with very nice ending jam).

Listening to the Charlie Miller upload of the Bob Wagner recording of Gainesville '80 now. Have heard good things about this show but never listened to it before. The Fox Theater, Atlanta show from this same southern run is one I knew well before it came out as DaP 8, so I do know they were in good form right around then.

Someone in the audience just cracked me up by yelling, "Tell me about Althea, Jerry!" But he decided to tell him about the Candyman instead. "Tell me about my Day Job, Jerry!" said no Deadhead, ever.

Edit/Epilogue: Man, Jerry really is TELLING him about the Candyman. Sheesh, this is a good version.

Edit/correction: Jim Wise, not Bob Wagner, was the taper. Assumed it was Wagner because he was responsible for the next night's Fox tape, but you know what they say about what happens when you assume.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  18. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

DP vol 7 Alexandria Palace UK -`74 Perhaps the most Psychedelic Playing In The band jam I`ve heard lately.if you have any other cool suggestions,please do tell me!:)

warewolf95 and footlooseman like this.
  19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

In my long experience with the 11.11 Star it seems both tremendously focused as a jam vehicle, while also being completely spacious and spontaneous. The psychedelic, telepathic improvisational nature of that Dark Star puts it in the top 5, if not #1, on my list of favorite versions.

20. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Go to Dijon- 18 September 1974, and listen for the proto-Shakedown Street jam.
    Go to Miami- 22 June 1974.
    Go to Philly- 4 Aug 1974.
    Go to Winterland- 16 Oct 1974, which was featured, in truncated form, in the GD Movie. The whole thing is superb.

21. honestdenverman

honestdenverman Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the Mind Left Body Jam in the 11/11/73 Dark Star. It's not my favorite MLB Jam (that honor would probably go to 10/19/73, at lease today), but it's second to none in uniqueness.

warewolf95 likes this.
  22. Archtop

I managed fewer words (of somewhat uncertain meaning), but you actually nailed the explanation. I like having a gem to go to on occasion, and now I have another one to dip into now and again. Between the palindrome on 11/10 and the DS on 11/11, this box pays dividends.

By the by, April 1, 2015 marks the 50th anniversary of the GD's first show. Perhaps an announcement of the Everything Else from '73 boxset is forthcoming? :nyah:

23. honestdenverman

honestdenverman Well-Known Member

Let's hope so. That would be awesome!!! :edthumbs:

24. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Palm Sunday - perfect reason to throw on one of my very favorite JGB discs. As the last song of the late show, this song was actually played on March 19 (which was Palm Sunday in 1978). This Pure Jerry release has my favorite versions of Mission In the Rain, Simple Twist and Gomorrah.

[​IMG]
    1. "Mission in the Rain" (Garcia, Hunter) – 11:25
    2. "Simple Twist of Fate" (Dylan) – 9:17
    3. "Midnight Moonlight" (Peter Rowan) – 11:17
    4. "Gomorrah" (Garcia, Hunter) – 6:37
    5. "Cats Under the Stars" (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:01
    6. "I'll Be with Thee" (traditional) – 5:53
    7. "Lonesome and a Long Way from Home" (Delaney Bramlett, Leon Russell) – 19:48
    8. "Palm Sunday" (Garcia, Hunter) – 4:21

25. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

alexandria palace cries out for a complete release along with miami and pretty much anything else from 74 escpecially a complete seastones maybe a standalone 9/11/74