Best external speakers for Ultrabook under $400 USD

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by OliverB, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OliverB

OliverB Forum Resident Thread Starter

My nearly decade old Dell Studio 17 has just bit the dust. It was a huge heavy clunker of a machine that was in a perpetual state of mend for at least half of it's lifetime; barely held together and with an endless list of problems and issues. One big expensive headache. I've finally decided to replace it with a Samsung ATIV Book 9, 2014 Edition.

Since we've recently moved into a tiny one-bedroom San Francisco apartment with limited space, we've forgone the standard tv/ht setup and have been using the old junky laptop for screening DVD's and other media. Now the brand new ATIV will take it's place; hence the larger 15.6" screen size.

The one glaring downside to this Ultrabook is the crummy built-in side speakers. They're just not gonna cut it. I'm searching for more optimal alternatives.

Size and compactness is key. Since a big feature of this ultrabook is it's slim size and light weight, I would like something that compliments the relatively portable device. I currently use an old Logitech speaker bar that clips across the top of my beat-up Dell 1737, but that's only a marginal improvement. I'm looking for something at least equal to, if not significantly better in the AQ dept, that's also as lightweight and compact - if not more so!

Most importantly. I have a slightly less restrictive budget this time around and can assumably afford to do much better than the old Logitech clip-on speaker bar. I'm willing to spend up to $400, though ideally I'd be most comfortable in the halfway range.

So to summarize: I'm looking for the BEST streamlined external speaker option for a new 15.6" Samsung ATIV Book 9 that packs a powerful punch and will enhance the ultrabook's enjoyment as a temporary H.T. device for DVD's and Blu-Ray's (primarily the former!)

Thanks in advance for your recommendation, advice, and feedback; it's always much appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Audio Engine A5+ (http://audioengineusa.com). Best with an external DAC (digital audio converter).

[​IMG]
    The A2+ has a built in DAC but is about 1/3 the size of the A5+.

[​IMG]

Another option is Emotiva's line of self powered speakers. I have no monetary interest in any of these products.

BilboAlaska and jlc76 like this.
  3. OliverB

Thanks but you must not have read carefully - I'm looking for something that is equally small and portable. We usually prop the ultrabook up on our bed to watch movies. I plan to take it on roadtrips as well. I need something that travels light and compact but still delivers big sound.

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Both of these great choices. I like AudioEngine powered speakers and they are great value for the price and sound excellent.

5. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Look into the A2+ then. I did read your post. We obviously have a different opinion of what is small and portable. :)

BilboAlaska likes this.
  6. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Really unsure what size you're looking for but the Samsung should support a Bluetooth soundbar or speaker system.

7. OliverB

Thanks but I'm really looking for something portable that I can easily travel with. I currently have a crappy soundbar from Logitech (no longer sold Z305 model) and I'm looking for something of relative size. They could be capsule speakers or a soundbar or anything so long as they pack a decent punch are compact enough that I can easily travel with them. The A2+ speakers don't look like something you'd want to lug around on a roadtrip. I suppose a bluetooth or USB soundbar would probably be ideal if such exists that also offers pretty good AQ. I'm admittedly not well informed but have yet to discover anything like that.

8. OliverB

I was just looking at the FoxLv2 Platinum but I'm trying to determine if it's all marketing schtick or indeed offers pretty decent AQ... the size is ideal. I'm skeptical of performance.

9. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

I've owned the FOXLv1 for 5 years. It is outstanding for quality sound, but you have to be within 5 ft of it for maximum enjoyment..

10. OliverB

Thank you konut, that actually sounds perfect as we usually prop my laptop up on the bed to watch movies so 5ft is no problem. I'm gonna go for it based on your rec... if that's a Goon I see in your avatar than I trust that you're a man of good repute! :)

11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Check out the FoxL Dash 7 as well. It was designed to be used as a soundbar with tablets when lying flat, although its case also serves as a stand. It too is only at its best when close.

12. OliverB

Thanks John, do you have a personal preference amongst the two or is there a general consensus on which is the better speaker?

13. OliverB

Again, usage would be relegated to my new Samsung laptop propped up on a bed or nearby nightstand with the speaker beside it... would I likely get beter/more rewarding performance from the Dash 7 or LV2 Plat?

14. john greenwood

I have both. I think the differences in sound between them are much slighter than the effect of speaker placement. As a consequence flexibility in this regard will goven which one sounds better in real life. My guess is that you will have more success with speaker placement with the Dash 7. I don't see the Platinum working that well on a bed. I think the Dash 7 would work better there whether lying flat or on its stand.

15. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

If your looking for something small and portable I recommend the bose mini sound link. http://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundLink-Mini-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B00D5Q75RC
    I received one as a gift and it provides good sound on the go. I use it for sound on the road and link it with my laptop or phone. Works well for sound on the go or while I am grilling in the back deck. I am sure their are other options that probably give better sound but this could be an option. Plays for four hours on a charge roughly and has some decent bass for 15 watt speaker I believe.

16. john greenwood

That's actually the other one I have, and I like that as well. However, while it's still small, it is three times the size and weight of the FoxLs. And when placed optimally in the nearfield, I think the FoxLs have better balance. If the OP can accept the nearfield limitation of the FoxLs, that would be my recommendation.

In fact, I am leaving on vacation tomorrow and finally decided to take the Bose. But that's because my friend likes music that can fill a room.

Clonesteak likes this.
  17. OliverB

Thanks fellas, the FoxLs is in the bag! Should be receiving next week... greatly appreciate all of the helpful advice and feedback!

Clonesteak likes this.
  18. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

That is a Goon in my avatar so I will defer to john greenwood as to the preference of the 7 over the Plat, as I have no experience with the 7.

19. OliverB

20. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

OP is happy so I want to hijack the thread for more on the Audioengine since there is no dealer here for me to see them.
    I am buying my wife a new computer and desk speakers, so I am deciding between the A2+ vs the B2 bluetooth single. I like the looks of wood much better but would go for the A2+ if they are better or more convenient for close up desk play.
    It looks like you would get exactly the same speakers but a choice of 1 or 2 boxes.

Crutchfield website has a good description, the B2 Bluetooth
    (the wood matches my Spendor A6)
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_772B2BZBR/Audioengine-B2-Zebrawood.html
    • Bluetooth with aptX® technology for high-fidelity streaming with compatible devices
    • range: up to 100 feet
    • hand-finished wood veneer on acoustically isolated MDF cabinet
    • built-in 24-bit TI PCM5102A digital-audio-converter (DAC) for high-fidelity sound
    • two 15-watt RMS amplifiers
    • frequency response: 65-22,000 Hz (±2 dB)
    • drivers:
      • two 3/4" silk dome tweeters
      • two 2-3/4" Kevlar mid/woofers
    • dual front-panel slot ports enhance the bass
    • removable magnetic grille
    • stereo minijack auxiliary input for portable music devices
    • rear-panel volume control
    • detachable AC power cord
    • 12-5/16"W x 4-1/4"H x 7-3/8"D

The A2+
    the cabinets not as nice looking but possibly more convenient.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/audioengine_a2.html
    • USB input and built-in Burr-Brown DAC let you bypass your computer's sound card for better performance (works with Mac or PC, no software to install)
    • accepts music files up to 16-bit/48kHz
    • each speaker features one 3/4" silk dome tweeter and one 2-3/4" Kevlar woofer

21. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

In my inexperienced opinion the USB connection on the A2+ will sound better than Bluetooth.

BilboAlaska likes this.
  22. john greenwood

Just a follow up. I did take my Soundlink Mini away on vacation. While I normally listen to a lot of classical, in this case we listened mostly to rock, electronic and jazz. This was not critical listening, but I must say I never found the sound fatiguing or fundamentally flawed (as I have found several other Bose products). And it can play remarkably loud for its size. I have to say, I come back with an improved impression of this product.

23. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Have one. They sound ok and you can put them anywhere.

Clonesteak likes this.
  24. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I use my Bose Mini when I take a shower, since I don't have a dedicated sound system for this room in my house. I also use it for some tunes while on the back deck and when pushing the kids in the wagon. The kids love it.
    Very portable and decent sound that I can take to the park since I don't have an 80's boom box. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.