John Lennon best studio album poll.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boris number 9, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Which album was Lennon 's best. In your opinion. Tell us why you chose as you did. Since Lennon Didin't have
    Many post Beatles albums, I have included the John & Yoko albums.

This poll allows two votes from each participant.

2. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

The first two...

No Bull, Moshe, kozy814 and 8 others like this.
  3. Plastic Ono Band - one of the great debut albums from any artist
    Double Fantasy - a second debut almost......very strong lyrically and emotionally heart-warming.

4. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I don't think that there's much between the first two but Imagine is far more accessible and it has better melodies - so Imagine for me,even though I'm tired of the title track.

5. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

Loved John, but it's really no contest at all.

andy75 and Boris number 9 like this.
  6. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Plastic Ono Band, in my opinion, the best album made by any Beatle after the split.

sram16, YardByrd, dbsea and 16 others like this.
  7. Boris number 9

That is why I settled on two votes per. Assuming most will go to Imagine, and, Plastic Ono. Perhaps
    With a few defectors to Walls & Bridges, and Double Fantasy

8. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Double Fantasy - double the fantasy, half the Lennon songs.

Sean and linclink like this.
  9. Mr. Bob Dobalena

Mr. Bob Dobalena Forum Resident

Love Walls and Bridges. John seems pretty happy and it's all him. (And Harry & Elton of course...) And who could resist the great promotional push he made for the LP- so many TV and radio appearances, and again, seeming to be in great spirits.

10. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Voted the first 2, also like Walls & Bridges & his 1980 stuff.

ralph7109 and Boris number 9 like this.
  11. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Imagine ain't my fav (Walls And Bridges is) but it has the best songs. Even if I don't care for the title track and find "How Do You Sleep" lyrically mean-spirited and a bit stupid there's no arguing with the range, beauty, and beguiling hook-laden craft that informs "How," "Oh Yoko," "Crippled Inside," and "Jealous Guy," which stand very tall in the Lennon catalog.

Thanks for the opportunity to vote twice, but I won't be exercising it here.

Boris number 9 likes this.
  12. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

My vote
    1. Plastic ono Band
    2. Double Fantasy
    3. Imagine
    4. Walls and bridges
    5. Rock and roll
    6. Mind games
    7. Milk and honey
    8. Sometime in NYC

13. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Hey, people who voted for Sometime in NYC, um, why? Care to elaborate?

Personally I feel like that one is a double-album bunt. It's got some OK songs on it, but nothing that really challenges... anything else in his catalog... for greatness. How do you see it? What's your take? Why do you rate it his best, or among his best?

14. Boris number 9

A couple people did rate,NYC their
    Favorite. I wasn't one of them.

The way I listen to NYC. First I add a couple,non album Lennon recordings not originally included.

Happy Xmas. God Save Oz, Do,The Oz, Power to the people.

Then I remove a couple Yoko songs.
    Like we're all water and born in prison.

Next thing you know I,have a cool
    Lennon album with just a little Yoko.

linclink likes this.
  15. Boris number 9

Walls and bridges a very distant third place

16. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Plastic Ono Band. A brilliant and brutally honest record and Lennon pulled it off. Imagine for me is a pretty close second and I'd rate Walls & Bridges as a solid 3rd place not far behind Imagine.

17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Imagine and Double Fantasy, for me.

linclink and Boris number 9 like this.
  18. Boris number 9

Plastic Ono Band running away with it.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  19. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Not an easy choice. IMAGINE has more songs I love (Imagine, Jealous Guy, Oh My Love, Give Me Some Truth, Crippled Inside, Oh Yoko) but also two I can't stand (I Don't Want To Be A Soldier... and How Do You Sleep). I also love most of John's songs on DOUBLE FANTASY, particularly Starting Over, Woman, Watching The Wheels, and Beautiful Boy, but then there's all the Yoko songs, which are admittedly are some of her best, but they still pale next to John's best stuff. If I could combine John's songs from DOUBLE FANTASY and MILK AND HONEY that would win easily. But that's not a choice...
    So I went with PLASTIC ONO BAND. For years I appreciated this album more than I enjoyed it. Part of me thinks John is being a bit of a "whiner". I mean he's really had a pretty good life so stop complaining. I never went through that "teen angst" stage so I can't identify with many of his feelings. Still there are some great songs and no "bad" songs. Working Class Hero is powerful in its musical simplicity and John sings it with feeling. God is amazing the way it builds. Love is a beautiful song. Remember is very good. Look At Me and Isolation both start out like a classic, though they lag a bit in the middle-still good songs though. Hold On John has John being positive. I'm not a big fan of Mother. It certainly was a poor choice for a single. At one time I know I wouldn't have voted for this, but I've come to like it more in recent years.
    So my vote was for PLASTIC ONO BAND, but it isn't the easy choice for me that it is for many other voters.

20. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Those two British albums. I like them much more than anything else in solo Beatles discography. It's got much to do with their sound - arrangments are not complicated, it's a bit muddy, everything straightforward and a bit broken - it adds to the feel of honesty.

But I like Double Fantasy too (including Yoko) and surprisingly Menlove Ave too. Through the years Some Time in NYC is growing in me. :)

mastaflatch, D.B. and Boris number 9 like this.
  21. I wish that "Double Fantasy" and "Milk & Honey" had been put together as a single choice. But, since I tend to, just slightly, prefer the 1980 material as my fave solo Lennon, so I went with both of those two for my vote getters- especially, since, being only half-Lennon albums operationally, I knew they'd get the short shrift votes wise...

With only 6/7 Lennon songs on either, I normally wouldn't have chosen them on their own (like I said, more like a half an album)... For the record I do think that both "Imagine" & "Plastic Ono Band" are as strong as the 19080 material as well (again, ever so slightly prefer "Imagine")...and... that more than half of "Mind Games" and "Walls & Bridges" are great... some of "Sometime In New York City" is too, but it's a much bumpier ride...

From this poll I can gather that, apparently, "Mind Games" and "Milk & Honey" are his most underrated works. As I sort of referenced above, I think the work on "Mind Games" is as strong as "Walls & Bridges" and that the work on "Milk & Honey" is as strong as "Double Fantasy" (in fact that 1980 work, as I noted, is probably my personal overall fave).

helter, D.B., cmi and 1 other person like this.
  22. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I voted for "Walls and Bridges". it's easily my favorite John album. I consider DF and M&H to be John & Yoko, but I don't think my vote would change in any way. I listened to "Mind Games" on the way to work Friday...other than the title song...I didn't think it was a very good album at all. It seemed that "#9 Dream" should have been on this album.

23. sami

sami Mono still rules

I would only vote for a comp like Lennon Legend if it was a choice. I don't like any of his albums enough to own any, but if I had to vote it would be Rock and Roll.

24. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Voted 'Plastic Ono Band'. It's closely followed by 'Imagine' & 'Mind Games' in my book.

Carlox and Boris number 9 like this.
  25. helter

helter Forum Resident

How could anyone vote for Sometime in NYC? :hurlleft:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.