Nagaoka MP200 vs Ortofon 2M Blue

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ipl, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ipl

ipl Member Thread Starter

I've been wanting to try out a new MM cart on my deck and have read so many great things about the Nag line. I'm wondering if picking up a MP200 would merely be a lateral move without much difference in sound from the 2M Blue or would I get some noticeable characteristic changes. They are priced pretty close so I can't say that this would necessarily be an upgrade but more experimenting with a new sound.

Anyone have experience with the two? Opinions on differences positive and negative? Worth it or fish around for something else?

THANKS

2. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

3. Have had both and give the Nag a slight edge only because I like the boron cantilever. That said don't know if it would be worth the expense if you already have the Blue

ipl likes this.
  4. ipl

Yea....I'm kinda thinking maybe move up the line to the 500....just save up and go whole hog. At that point I should also be upgrading my deck tho. UGh.

mikeyt likes this.
  5. Just did the deck upgrade thing. Have a very nice Technics 1800MKII with a bunch of carts to go on it, but was looking for something more modern. Bought the Rega RP3 with Exact2 cartridge and boy was I surprised the sonic difference. Still like the Technics but the Rega really is a whole different animal

ipl and mikeyt like this.
  6. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I'd get at least the Nag 300 to get the metal body. I found the plastic body Nags difficult to align due to the slickness and flex of the plastic body and having only half-holes for mounting. To loosen the screws enough to move the cartridge "just a bit" was darn near impossible. Either the thing would not budge or it all went loose and I was where I started. I came to appreciate threaded cartridge bodies or, at least, ones with full mounting holes.

7. ipl

good to know oregonalex....thanks for the tip. i wonder if a little blue tack between the cart and the headshell might give you enough resistance to make those slight adjustments without spoiling your initial alignment.

8. I have the MP-500 and I'm extremely happy with it. What I like the most from Nagaokas (I also have an MP-110) is that, unlike many other hi-fi cartridges (Audio-Technica AT440MLa comes to mind), it doesn't have a "smiley" EQ curve, with enhanced bass and treble and not so much mids presence (not that mids aren't there, of course). Nagaokas' sound has been described as "organic" and I agree with that term since I think they have a very well-balanced sonic signature. Highs are mellower than on the AT440MLa, and middle frequencies are more present, giving more "warmth" to the music. I think this is a great cartridge.

ipl likes this.
  9. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

I have an MP-110 w/ MP-200 stylus on my RP-1 that I'm very happy with. Great all-rounder, and deals with with less-than pristine vinyl....very solid tracker.

I would say that I wouldn't consider the -300 at all, given the big jump in price from the -200 to the -300 (nearly double) and the much smaller jump from the -300 to the -500.

The 110/200 hybrid that I run might be an option too. The magnets in the 110 body are almost identical to the 200, and with the 200 you get the better stylus, boron cantilever etc, plus you have the 110 stylus to easily pop on for thrft store records or as a spare. That setup is actually about $60 less than a -200.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    ipl and BeauZooka like this.
  10. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

I'm liking this 110/200 idea! I've been wanting to ditch my ortofon red.

11. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

What sonic differences did you experience?

12. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

I have both the Ortofon Blue (in a Pioneer PL-707 deck) and the MP-200 (in a Sony PSX-65 deck) both tables connected to my Pioneer SX 1250 and a pair of Klipsch KSF 10.5's.

I'd say the Ortofon is a bit "punchier" sounding and the MP-200 slightly smoother sounding. I use both of these tables for vintage vinyl and they are both very forgiving of less than perfect (VG to VG+) Lp's and both deliver very nice sound. I find myself listening to this set up A LOT, (both cartridges) even though I have a system downstairs for "audiophile" new vinyl - Pioneer Elite A-91D integrated amp, Klipschorns, and a Pioneer Reference series PL-90 with a Denon DL 103 MC cartridge. That set up is not as forgiving of less than mint Lp's, which is why I have separate systems for each.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  13. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

This is interesting. I have a Nag MP-20 on my AR EB-101 and I've been musing on upgrading, mainly because I know nothing about the Nag (I inherited it with the table). I've been musing on an Ortofon but my system is slightly brighter than I'd like and I'd like to bring a little warmth to it. Someone upthread suggested that the Nag MP-200 is warmer than the Ortofon. Can anyone comment on the Ortofon's warmth or, more to the point, the Nag MP-20?

14. thommo

thommo Senior Member

All I can add is that the Nag 20 is definitely on the warmer end of the spectrum than the ortofon 520 (the 2M's equivalent predecessor).

The ortofon is clean, rather than truly bright, but if you want warmth, then the Nag is the way to go out of those 2

15. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Thanks for the comments. I'm torn between aiming for neutral (which might be considered "clean") and adjusting the EQ for playback. This would allow me to get flat needledrops. Alternatively, stick with the Nag but have the colouring it appears to provide "locked in" my needledrops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.