Can a song or piece of music you love truly be unlistenable?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mij Retrac, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

There's a 4 CD set of Lester Young, 1930's/1940's recordings. No-name reissue, incredibly bad de-noising. There's LPs and CDs of this material with much more pleasant sound. In a similar vein, the UK Classical reissue company Pearl has produced some CDs make from damaged 78 sources that really could have used some sort of noise reduction. Also unlistenable, only in the opposite direction.

3. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

Pearl Jam S/T - the whole album is painful to listen to but I love the music :(

4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Somebody's buying Ornette Coleman records.

I know that's not what the OP is referring to, btw.

5. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I suppose so. I love Sleater-Kinney's The Woods and the first Jim Jones Revue album......both make your ears bleed, but fits the sound they were going for.

GodShifter, Mij Retrac and Monosterio like this.
  6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Hell, somebody's buying Albert Ayler and Cecil Taylor records. Probably today.

I am fond of the music of Iannis Xenakis. Most people would find it unlistenable. Most people would say—That's not music, that's noise.

Monosterio likes this.
  7. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Black Sabbath "Sabotage" from the Black Box is unlistenable to me.

8. Sweet Cheerio

Sweet Cheerio Forum Resident

I have a CD compilation of Balinese gamelan music pressed on 78 rpm records in the 1920s and '30s that has more surface noise than usual. It's a tough slog, even though I usually have a high tolerance for noise in general. Heck, I even like noise music!

Mij Retrac likes this.
  9. Mij Retrac

Two questions.
    One, do you've the album?
    Two what makes it "unlistenable" to you?

10. Mij Retrac

What makes it "painful"? Would you go as far as calling it unlistenable though?

11. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I found the Billie Holiday disc in the Ken Burns Jazz series unlistenable. Sat there for years until I bought an infinitely better-sounding Holiday CD.

12. Sweet Cheerio

Sweet Cheerio Forum Resident

My favorite Xenakis pieces are electro-acoustic works like Bohor, La Legend d'Eer and Persepolis. All three of them can definitely clear a room.

Robin L likes this.
  13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Just got a 5.1 surround mix of La Legend d'Eer, with a photo show of the original performance [featuring a 'light show']. Awesome, scary, loud.

14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

If I love the song, then by its very nature it's listenable.

I may not like the mastering, but obviously there's something about the song that's already risen about that.

Scooter59, Spooky and Mij Retrac like this.
  15. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

If I love the music, I'm gonna listen to it. Stepping outside of the audiophile hothouse, sound quality is only one consideration among several and not always the primary consideration.

I am now bracing for impact....:hide:

D.D.

16. Mij Retrac

This is exactly how I feel also.

Gaslight and Diamond Dog like this.
  17. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

My original US vinyl sound fine. The Black Box CD is shrill sounding and constantly distorts. It's the only title from that box that I never, ever listen to.

18. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

I listen to a lossless cd rip on my headphones and the guitars hurt my ears. I found some "rough" demos that sound way more dynamic. It's too bad most of PJ's catalogue is brick walled.

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Absolutely. The High Rise and Mainliner stuff is like this, too.

20. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

I share your opinion.
    You should have a soft landing.

21. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Bruce Springsteen's Magic comes pretty close. Fantastic album, but it literally gives me a headache (on CD or vinyl) unless I play it on my bad car stereo. This is beyond "unpleasant sound" -- I have lots of badly recorded/mastered music that I have zero problem coping with; the Flamin' Groovies compilation on right now is somewhat shrill. No biggie. I'm talking physical discomfort.

22. Mij Retrac

How does Magic give you a headache? I'm asking because even the worst recordings I have ever listened to don't give me a headache.

23. Mij Retrac

Maybe it's the headphones or maybe you have it turned up too loud? I have never experienced this unless one of these things were the issue.

24. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Yes. (not the band).

25. Mij Retrac

And how is it that a song you love can be unlistenable to you? Not just bad sounding mind you but unlistenable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.