Why are Michael Jackson's vocals low in the mix sometimes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warewolf95, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

I did too until I read the credits. :sigh:

The King of Pop sure knew how to make some incredible Rock songs. :)

I felt like he could've released them in a better order. With Invincible they should've gone with Butterflies first, then followed up with You Rock My World and finishing with Unbreakable since it had that popular Timbaland sound that dominated the airwaves around that time thanks to artists like Aaliyah,Missy Elliot & Ginuwine. Speechless was actually the leading single but it was only released in Korea. Strange...:confused:

I agree. :) I wish they would've explored the Philly Soul sound just a little more but I'm happy with the little that we have.

warewolf95 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I never realized it, but the vocals are very low in "Jam", if you compare it to the similar "Smooth Criminal" from Bad, they really are much lower.

warewolf95 likes this.
  3. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Actually Madonna is on the track In The Closet, it has been well documented in the past just not on the album sleeve notes.
    Madonna herself has spoken about working on the track with Michael. She said that she asked him ''you do know what In The Closet means don't you'' and he said that yes he did. Also when Sony were trying to promote the Essential Michael Jackson album (difficult as they released it right after his court case) they highlighted that track as 'featuring mystery girl' in a bid to try and shift more copies.

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. JohnnyQuest

"The song's female vocal was originally labeled "Mystery Girl" but was later revealed to be Princess Stéphanie of Monaco. "

""In the Closet" was originally conceived as a duet between Jackson and Madonna. According to a 1992 interview with British journalist Jonathan Ross, Madonna said she worked on some lyrical ideas for the song but when she presented them to Michael, he decided they were too provocative and they decided not to continue with the project."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Closet

5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I always thought it was Janet on In The Closet!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  6. JohnnyQuest

She was too busy moaning on her stupid interludes. :laugh:

onionmaster and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Good point!

Honestly, I'm sure I read it was Janet years ago... You've shattered my illusions now!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  8. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

It was a radio single and a promo. I think it was planned to be an official single with a remix or two, but the whole 'Cascio situation' killed this album.

9. JohnnyQuest

(All jokies aside)Was the song about his sexuality? If so, I'm surprised the people didn't catch onto it.
    What a bummer. :sigh: What "Cascio Situation"?

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

I haven't listened to that song in years, so I can't recall the lyrics. I wouldn't imagine it would be about that.. Just a good title for a song! Shame he and Madonna never did get together...

11. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

I bought Victory the day it was released,I like it too. Torture is a great song & it was great to hear Jermaine back with the group even for 1 song.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

Thinking about Jackson and Madonna, this would be around the time the latter was gearing up for her Erotica album and Sex book. Michael must have been terrified!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  13. JohnnyQuest

That's a bummer. It would've been a much better duet than the disappointingly tasteless "Love Song".
    Then again MJ was afraid of anything sexual and that's Madonna's forte. This was around the Erotica so she was really pushing that theme.

Edit: You beat me to it. Lol

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

The worst thing on Victory is Be Not Always. It's the most awful Michael Jackson song I've ever heard. I'm convinced he did it on purpose because he didn't want to do the Victory album and tour!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

I don't have one good thing to say about Love Song... They both should have been thoroughly ashamed of themselves. It ruins Like A Prayer for me.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  16. JohnnyQuest

It's so uninspired and lazy. :o You wouldn't expect two powerful forces in music (especially in the 80's) to come up with something as lame as that.
    I've grown to appreciate "Like a Prayer" more so than before. It's actually tolerable now. There's one song on that album that's now a favorite of mine. Guess which one it is..:angel:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

I don't know... Express Yourself?

18. JohnnyQuest

I've always liked Express Yourself. "Oh Father" I find it to be one of her most personal/revealing songs in her catalog and it's refreshing to see that side of her.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

It's a very personal album. Promise To Try is about her mother. Till Death Do Us Part is about her marriage breaking down. Then you get Cherish, the brightest pop moment on the LP!

20. JohnnyQuest

Musically those songs do nothing for me. :sigh: But I appreciate them for being the confessional pieces they are.
    This was a step in the right direction after True Blue but I still prefer that over this. I get a sweet and warm feeling every time it's in rotation.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

I'm off to bed now, but I want to leave you with a question...

I know when you get into an artist you go all-in. What have been the most disappointing back catalogues you've purchased?

Give it some thought!

22. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

The lyrics definitely aren't about that. It's about a woman and the video is pretty racy with him and Naomi Campbell.

23. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

It's regarding the fake songs that were put on the album [Monster, Keep Your Head Up and Breaking News].

24. JohnnyQuest

You mean the allegedly fake songs? There's no concrete proof that they are fake. I hope not because I like 2 out of three of those songs.. Lol

25. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Pardon?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.