The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society Appreciation Station

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SpookyGriff, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

When you say various parts of Europe you mean other than England? I thought Ray reworked the album before release

2. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Right, it wasn't available in England at that point. After being put out in other places in Europe, Ray changed the album a bit, and then it was released in the UK.

3. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I completely agree. That's always how I imagined it before I saw the sleeve - like a more verdant Sgt Peppers. The back cover and European editions make sense, but what was the thinking behind the concentric circles superimposed on the band on the UK sleeve???

john lennonist likes this.
  4. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Wow, this is a fantastic find! Good eye. They should have used this for the back cover of the Drivin' single!

FJFP likes this.
  5. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Outstanding in their field.

6. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Listened to the title track for the first time - with the exception of "Waterloo Sunset" it is thus far the best Kinks song that I've heard. It's so 'English' it was like I was there at the village green eating scones and jam! Great song.

What is the consensus on the mono v stereo?

FJFP likes this.
  7. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

One of my favorite albums ever! I have both the Deluxe and the "exclusive" remaster from the Mono box. This album takes knowing all the Kinks' albums prior to this one (Kontroversy, Face to Face and Something Else) before you dive into it, but when you do, it's a journey that takes you to a really good place.

As far as mix preferences: I love the mono a lot. That feels like a rock album and sounds a little more focused, to me. The stereo is okay, but I always reach for the mono first.

I hope Sandoval cuts an all analog mono version soon.

FJFP likes this.
  8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If you want 'all' the tracks recorded on vinyl there was a triple mono reissue by Earmark. Not the greatest (digital) mastering and some of the live bonus material is suspiciously 'banded' as if lifted from the CD master.

9. Geir

Geir Forum Resident

Love this album! What a gem. Just recently heard it for the first time. Having a hard time getting it on vinyl though, seems it`s sold out (got the 50th Face to Face, Something Else and Arthur though)

Edit: I wish Days was on it, because it`s my favorite Kinks song and would have made a great conclusion to the album (much like Sunny Afternoon and Waterloo Sunset on F&F and SE)

FJFP likes this.
  10. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Amazon has it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...r?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1454776944&sr=1-1

11. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

This great album was the victim of careless marketing. It was eclipsed by The White Album, Beggar's Banquet, and Electric Ladyland--Christmas 1968. It's in the same league as any of those three. Should have held off until early 1969.

sirch likes this.
  12. Geir

Geir Forum Resident

13. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Not sure if you're in the USA, as your stats only say North, but if you are, Amazon should do the trick. Good luck!!

14. tank64

tank64 Forum Resident

VGPS was my first exposure into the Kinks. It is epic, and I listen to it often. God Bless the Kinks.

15. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I've just ordered the 3-CD deluxe edition. Should be here within two weeks. Can't wait! :righton:

16. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Mono is the way to go for all 60s Kinks, and mono from needledrops if you can find them. I've said before on this forum that the stereo mixes on CD sound like they were done with two tin cans and some string. The original mono vinyl sounds great to me.

I was introduced to all things Kinks about 20 years ago by a music writer friend who sat me down with his massive record collection one evening and determined to make me more than the casual Kinks fan I was at the time. While Face to Face remains my favorite, I like quite a bit of Village Green. That title song is a masterpiece.

Leviethan and AFOS like this.
  17. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

And the ones that didn't make the album are just as good or better: i.e. Lavender Hill and Pictures in the Sand

ajsmith, Revolver and FJFP like this.
  18. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

Honestly, this is one of my favorite albums of all time. What a great set of songs.

Mr. H likes this.
  19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I much prefer the stereo mix of Village Green.

Glenn Christense and seaisletim like this.
  20. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

"Big Sky", man. No one really needed to write a song about God or a higher power after that one.

Leviethan likes this.
  21. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Does anyone know how many copies of the album sold in the US originally ?

I bought it on release day, but I don't think it sold many copies here, so for years it was sort of my hidden treasure.

Ditto Something Else. I used to wonder if I was crazy to love these two albums , because nobody else I knew had them. :p

My bit of trivia is..Village was released on the same day as The White Album, which probably made a poor selling album have even less of a chance, given the competition.

john lennonist, ajsmith and FJFP like this.
  22. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Does anyone know how BB did chart wise? I don't think it went to #1.

23. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

VGPS is one of my favourite albums from the British Invasion. It is criminal that The Kinks haven't received as much credit as they should have deserved. It is amazing so much great music was written by one man.

john lennonist likes this.
  24. Glenn Christense

#3 in the UK, #5 in the US.

Many younger people are unaware that the Stones were not automatic #1 album sellers until Sticky Fingers. They did better with 45's before that. In the US they had a couple of number one albums and were usually in the top 5, but weren't automatic number one album sellers like the Beatles albums were.

It seems crazy now that Beggars Banquet only made number 5 in the US.

Of course, compared to Village Green, Beggars did Thriller- like numbers.:D

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    AFOS and Dino like this.
  25. Glenn Christense

Great! Enjoy it.

Inspired by this thread I just pulled out my 3 CD set and am playing it right now.
    It's generally such a gentle,wistful, dare I say...adult album, that I guess I can understand why it was overlooked in an era when heavy Blues- Rock was becoming the big thing, but those qualities that made it seem not of it's time in it's original era are what make it timeless today.

Dino likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.