The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Today digging: 28 March 1973, Springfield Civic Center. The last hour of this show is phenomenal!!!

Weather Report Suite: Prelude > Dark Star > Eyes of the World > Playing In The Band; Johnny B. Goode

footlooseman, JRM and Crispy Rob like this.
  2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I ran across this Dan Healy ’93 interview by a guy from Absolute Sound that gets into the weeds of the PA pretty deep here. Of particular interest to me was their using CAD to map the rig then surveying tools to position the arrays within an inch or two of plan.

I have a rando theory that by the time of recording the Spring ’90 tour, as evidenced by the Spring ’90 Other One box, they may have had the tools to better measure where everything was on stage each night relative to some center point which when you go to mixing and using time delay it helped create an even better image than say with the earlier recorded stuff that perhaps was mixed more by feel alone. That Spring ’90 Other One box is just too different in my book to not have something going on to explain its hyper imaging all things being relative.

For example they used something similar in going back to re-recalculate the distances of mics positions for Two From the Vault then used time-delay equipment to correct for all of the phasing and time smear problems of that tape. I know, a pretty dumb theory. Maybe somebody here has experience of which I have absolutely none, or better info, so feel free to shoot this down.

warewolf95 and fishcane like this.
  3. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Had this with Sunday brunch. Quite tasty ;p Didn't get past Disc 1. Discs 2 & 3 after dinner.

[​IMG]

CD 1:
    1. Cold Rain and Snow
    2. Cassidy
    3. Scarlet Begonias
    4. The Music Never Stopped
    5. Crazy Fingers
    6. Big River
    7. They Love Each Other
    8. Looks Like Rain
    9. Ship Of Fools
    10. Promised Land

CD 2
    1. St. Stephen>
    2. Eyes of the World>
    3. Let It Grow
    4. Brown-Eyed Women
    5. Lazy Lightning>
    6. Supplication
    7. High Time
    8. Samson and Delilah
    9. It Must Have Been The Roses

CD 3
    1. Dancing In The Street>
    2. Wharf Rat>
    3. Around and Around
    4. Franklin's Tower

Bonus tracks from 6/12/76
    5. Mission In The Rain
    6. The Wheel
    7. Comes A Time
    8. Sugar Magnolia>
    9. U.S. Blues>
    10. Sunshine Daydream

4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Finished Gainesville '80. Great front of board audience of a scorching show that somehow I had slept on until now. Every bit the equal and perhaps the better of the next night at the Fox (although the Fox Scarlet -> Fire is still my favorite sequence of both shows. The transition from a Shakedown jam, without returning to the vocals, into Franklin's is unique, and everything that night is well played. Highly recommended.

5. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

Nice selection of Jerry tunes on the bonus disc :)

Listening to disc 1 of Dick's Picks 16. Can't wait for disc 2 which totally blows me away :righton:

6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

First City Island and now this one it is like you found my long since abandoned box of tapes. As soon as I saw Alligator Alley I totally recognized it. Just finishing up City Island 6-22-83, it is a pretty good sounding AUD anyway. I will check out 11-29-80 next then to stick with the theme on to 7-18-82 Ventura County the other of the better AUD tapes I had.

Edit: Gainesville sounds more awesome than I remembered and it does smoke out of the 2nd set gate so far.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Crispy Rob and rockinlazys like this.
  7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Have not heard Ventura '82, but may give that a whirl soon. Taking a little break from the Dead after bingeing lately.

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I wouldn't even bother with a futile "Top-5 Dark Star" list, but 11/11/73 is one of the best I've ever heard.

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

It's just a list in my own head, problem is there are probably 17 or so versions in my top 5. The sequence of Dark Stars from 19 Oct 1973 in Oklahoma through the version in Montana on 14 May 1974, including the verse-less jams in that time frame, feel like one long version of Dark Star. YMMV

honestdenverman likes this.
  10. [​IMG]
    Road Trips Volume 1 Number 3 Bonus Disc
    Hollywood Palladium, Hollywood, California, August 6, 1971:
    1. "Bertha – 7:04
    2. "Mr. Charlie" – 3:57
    3. "Cumberland Blues" – 5:50
    4. "Brokedown Palace" – 5:39
    5. "Hard To Handle" – 8:20
    Yale Bowl, New Haven, Connecticut, July 31, 1971:
    1. "Sing Me Back Home" – 9:33
    2. "Big Boss Man" – 6:26
    Terminal Island Correctional Facility, Santa Ana, California, August 4, 1971:
    1. "Not Fade Away" > – 5:37
    2. "Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad" > – 8:39
    3. "Turn On Your Lovelight" – 14:35

11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Winterland 1973, night two, 11/10/73.

12. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Lullaby

For Deadhead parents currently in the throws of taking care of a new life, the band has authorized Rockabye Baby!, the purveyors of turning pop songs into lullabys, to tackle their catalog. Included in the upcoming release are sleep-inducing versions of Dead favorites like “Sugar Magnolia,” “Uncle John’s Band,” and “Casey Jones,” the latter of which premieres on Speakeasy today. http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015...eads-casey-jones-as-a-lullaby-exclusive-song/

ianuaditis, Erik B., Wingtip and 4 others like this.
  13. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Bummer, they totally blew the transition into the solo. Just kidding. Start 'em while they're young!

ianuaditis likes this.
  14. WiseJake237

WiseJake237 Forum Resident

Listened to both Dave's Picks 13 and Dick's Picks 24 today.

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

Having just finished listening to "Newport Folk Festival: Best of Bluegrass 1959-1966", I've headed in this direction with air-banjo still strapped on:

[​IMG]

16. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Two from the vault. Sound is great but I don't listen to 67-70 that much anymore. Sounds a bit to dated if I'm not in the mood. The vocals and the keys in particular

17. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Do you have the CD version as well? If so how does sound/mix compare to the re-done version for the LPs? I am tempted to buy this on vinyl-great show.

18. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Dark Star all nighter!

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I honestly cant remember. I feel like it did buy it at some point but I rarely go to my CD collection or open ITunes. I could look for it and do a shoot out but I am sure I would like the LP better. And I rarely say this for live GD releases.

I think there is a different track listing (order of songs) to accommodate for album sides. This is a very well produced effort and translates nicely to analog.

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Right now, I'm jamming to Dark Star/St. Stephen/The Eleven from 12/20/69 (Dave's Picks Vol. 6). I'm a real Dead novice compared to most in this thread, but I seem to gravitate towards the '69 primal psych vintage, as well as some of the '74 shows (like the movie soundtrack box). One From The Vault is also a favorite, since I'm a Blues for Allah fan. I'd welcome further recommendations from the initiated, based on my preferences. I'm definitely open to spaced out improvisational jams.

Scopitone likes this.
  21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Dicks Picks 12 (1974) has some great open ended spacey jamming especially in the post Weather Report jam. This has been my favorite of the series so far (I'm going in order, just finished 18).
    I'm also a huge fan of the 1969 Fillmore box. I really like Tom Constanten's organ parts in Dark Star.

Tristero and wavethatflag like this.
  22. budwhite

[​IMG]

First show, first set. This is great!
    I do like the slower version of "they love each other" better though

BurtThomasWard and Erik B. like this.
  23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The 11/9/73 is a terrific rendition of the fast version of They Love Each Other, though. I probably prefer the slow version, too, but it's a close call

budwhite likes this.
  24. budwhite

I did enjoy the first set from start but it gets really hot with "playing in the band" :tiphat:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Greensboro Coliseum on 1989-03-31
    Set 1

Hell In A Bucket
    Sugaree
    New Minglewood Blues
    Peggy-O
    Me And My Uncle ->
    Big River
    Loser
    Victim Or The Crime
    Standing On The Moon

Set 2

Hey Pocky Way ->
    Truckin' ->
    Terrapin Station ->
    Drums ->
    Space ->
    I Will Take You Home ->
    All Along The Watchtower ->
    Morning Dew ->
    Good Lovin'

Encore
    Brokedown Palace

warewolf95, *Zod* and wilejoe like this.