Poll: Small Faces or Faces

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chronic kebab, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Faces, for me.

2. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

Small faces > humble Pie > faces

All 3 are awesome, but Marriott is amazing

3. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I love them both. In a pinch, I would have to choose The Faces. They epitomize British rock! The two are completely different bands though. The Faces are closer musically to Humble Pie than The Small Faces.

4. Mr. Twangy

Mr. Twangy Active Member

The Small Faces were one of the most innovative, exciting and stylish groups of all time. The Faces were a glorified pub rock band. There is really no comparison.

5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Love them both but went with Small Faces

6. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I really enjoy the Faces and I'm a big fan of early Rod Stewart but all this praise for the Small Faces is making me think I've got to go back and listen to their output more intently.

Thanks

7. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I like them both, but The Jeff Beck Group with Rod and Ronnie were even better.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Like both bands-Small Faces better band. But I prefer Rod Stewart's vocals..:hide:

duggan likes this.
  9. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

IMO The Faces were great but the Small Faces were magnificent and they're in my top 1o of UK 60s bands.... obviously with some remarkable contemporaries.

Mr. Twangy and quakerparrot67 like this.
  10. papatwo

papatwo Abiding Member

Small Faces (by a nose) :laugh:

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The Small Faces on Decca - without doubt the best high octane mod soul band of the 60's, Booker T & The M.G.'s on purple hearts. Of all the British groups Steve had the most soulful and powerful voice.

The Small Faces on Immediate - a great experimental band who really came into their own in songwriting - things like Tin Soldier and Afterglow some of the best records of the late 60's.

Now, to top that the Faces would have to have done something quite special, but to me they sound like a group of friends playing party music. I like a few tracks but nothing they did was essential in the way the Small Faces were. Much more radio friendly for the US though, I think if you split the votes between the UK and US you would get very different results, the Small Faces are held in much higher regard in the UK than they seem to be in the US.

Man at C&A, JL6161, taramark and 6 others like this.
  12. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

From where I stand, it's a tough hair to split. But I will say, Small Faces sounds of its era in a way that Faces does not. Faces sounds classic --eternal. And they get my vote.
    :hide:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  13. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

There was a good reason why Marriott quit the Small Faces and why the remaining members were not interested in keeping the old name (despite label's pressure). :)

Faces (and Humble Pie).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  14. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Wow, surprised by the results. I thought Rod was the weak link. Ironic he went on to solo glory. For me, Faces by a mile notwithstanding.

15. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Faces win for me. I like the Small Faces but love the Faces.

16. Faces got my vote here, but I gotta say that I absolutely love Small Faces too... part of why I voted Faces is that I consider a couple of those early Rod Stewart solo albums to be operationally, essentially Faces albums as well...

Bunkweasal likes this.
  17. alylemoss

alylemoss Forum Resident

Love the Small Faces, but Ronnie Lane had a bigger singing and songwriting role in The Faces, so I give them the nod.

18. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The fact that the Small Faces are in the lead is one of those moments that makes me doubt whether I should ever listen to the opinions of SHF members again. :p

violetvinyl and duggan like this.
  19. Tony Sclafani

Tony Sclafani Forum Resident

Small Faces. I've rarely been as knocked out by an album as I was when I picked up The Immediate Story double LP set as a teenager. Growing up in the US, not England, I'd only heard "Itchycoo Park" on oldies radio. But boy was I surprised at how many fantastic tunes they had and what a first-rate singer Marriott was.

Paul Weller should get credit for bringing them to new generations of fans. It was his constant praise of the group in interviews that influenced me to explore their music.

20. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

21. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Faces by a landslide. Faces vs. Humble Pie would be tough.

22. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Faces for me.

23. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

24. Harold R

Harold R Forum Resident

Small, they have better songs and Marriott.

OneStepBeyond and quakerparrot67 like this.
  25. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

Like most here love both bands, but Small Faces. MARRIOTT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.