Jazz Beat (Part 40)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Cactus Bob likes this.
  2. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    My second Brock album, and I really enjoy both. This is a change of pace from the earlier Criss Cross ALMOST NEVER WAS in substituting piano for guitar. While the configuration might at first bring to mind the Grappelli/Reinhardt teamups, the music sounds nothing like that, and ironically enough the vast difference in approach is most notable on Reinhardt's "Nuages," just barely recognizable in flashes scatted throughout Brock's far-ranging recasting. Guitarist Lund is pretty huge throughout, and he and Brock are supported by the SFJazz Collective's current drummer and bassist extraordinaire (also featured on ALMOST NEVER WAS).

Voltaire and JETman like this.
  3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Ah, one of my favourite guitarists. His Blue Note albums are wonderful.

Campbell Saddler, DrJ and JETman like this.
  4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Love this album, wonderful interplay.

5. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

They love him or hate him -- I love this one.

[​IMG]

6. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

I agree, and for some reason I've never been able to warm up to most of his Verve and Argo/Cadet dates (with the notable exception of the Village Vanguard album). He did make some nice records for Muse in the 70s, and of course, those great Ellington tribute albums.

Here's another who had a late career resurgence with this:

[​IMG]

7. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Stan Getz ~ Sweet Rain

Verve

[​IMG]

8. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Welcome to the Jazz Beat!! :wave:

Erik B. likes this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I agree about his Verve and Argo/Cadet dates, indeed with the exception of the Village Vanguard album. Have not heard his Muse and Ellington albums; I was never a Muse fan and due to personal circumstances I hardly listened to jazz in the 1980s and early 1990s.

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Didn't know that one (as I said I was mostly absent from jazz in the 1980s) but I'm going to rectify that. Almost everything with Bobby Hutcherson is worth having.

11. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Indeed! I can recommend this one highly, as well as the later Poll Winners albums (I believe there were 5 in total, starting with the late 50s Contemporary date).

DrJ likes this.
  12. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Was Playing:
    Kelly - Kelly Blue. OJC vinyl, love this album.
    [​IMG]

Now Playing:
    This came up on here about a month ago and a week later I found a original vg vinyl pressing and had to pick it up. Should be titled Jazz 69 as this a big band jazz vocal record.
    Aretha Franklin - Soul 69
    [​IMG]

13. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

The wild and crazy Joel Dorn (the man of the oddly amusing album covers) reissued a couple of the Muse dates. This is my favorite:

[​IMG]

http://www.allmusic.com/album/12-15-78-mw0000244602

[​IMG] [​IMG]

http://www.allmusic.com/album/ellington-is-forever-vol-1-mw0000618233

http://www.allmusic.com/album/ellington-is-forever-vol-2-mw0000126466

14. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

DrJ likes this.
  15. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

That's a real good one! Kessel was such a master. I was listening to some Parker sides for Dial the other day and found my ear being bent by the guitarist - and relooking at the liner notes, remembered it happened to be Kessel, way back in 1947 - he was great even then.

16. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

[​IMG]

with Eddie Costa and Vinnie Burke. Recorded in Ed Fuerst's apartment in NYC in 1956. Originally issued on Xanadu.

Campbell Saddler, Mik, DrJ and 5 others like this.
  17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

This is indeed the tracklisting of the original album, except that on my 1992 Japanese CD (Pacific Jazz TOCJ-5424) the second track is "Willow Weep for Me" (no Manfred in sight ;)).

18. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

[​IMG] I would like to get low cost copies of these titles and can get RVGs now for $5-$6. If I really like some I can explore audiophile options. I know many here prefer older masters and some like McMasters are similar in price. Should I pass on any of these and seek out a different version? For example, I read the RVG of Wayne Shorter's "Speak No Evil" was to be avoided for similar priced McMaster at a minimum.

I know I want to hear these titles. I don't think there is a McMaster of "Ready For Freddie".

Johnny Coles - Little Johnny C
    Jackie McLean - Destination Out
    Hank Mobley - No Room For Squares
    Jutta Hipp - Jutta Hipp awith Zoot Sims
    Wayne Shorter - The Soothsayer
    Andrew Hill - Judgement
    Donald Byrd - At the half note café volumes 1 & 2
    Jimmy Smith - Home Cookin'
    Jimmy Smith - Cool Blues
    Jimmy Smith - At the Organ Volume 3

[​IMG]

http://flic.kr/p/rRQSfz

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

As far as I know there isn't.

20. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

3-2-1

J.A.W. likes this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

:laugh:

The anticipation is killing me... Fortunately, I can't see the outcome :)

JETman likes this.
  22. miklew

miklew Forum Resident

On the TT! Some very serious music!
    [​IMG]

23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Back to this one. Such great playing.

Mik and TimArruda like this.
  24. One of the members of the aforementioned Lenny McBrowne outfit, Don Sleet only had this one date as a leader. But he made it count. Very tasteful player with the longevity, sadly, of so many great trumpeters.

Japanese vinyl re-issue.

[​IMG]

25. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

If someone told me that Ben Goldberg's new album was gonna be a song cycle based on the elliptical pronouncements on poetics of the poet Allen Grossman, I would have never imagined it to be a subtle, gorgeous and easy to listen to as this wonderful new album. Really great stuff played by a great band -- not only Goldberg himself, but great stuff rom Kenny Wollesen, Ron Miles and Nels Cline in particular. Drove around all weekend listening to this one. Can't wait to see what it sounds like on the hifi.

[​IMG]

charlesp and macdaddysinfo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.