Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #68)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

I didn't not know that Holmboe was dead. I've only recently discovered his music. Hilary Hahn gives an excellent account of Higdon's violin concerto which was written specifically for her to perform.

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but I was talking about the performance, not the format.

3. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Just grabbed a few of chad's new living stereo lps--the Heifetz, Scheherazade, and pictures. Man, what a great job on such wonderful music.

5-String likes this.
  4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "DE STELLA NOVA Il cosmo di sogno del Medioevo" performed by La Reverdie.

A beautiful live performance.

5-String and Soulpope like this.
  5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

It is average non-HIP performance IMO ...

6. coopmv

I have used the same rationale in the purchases of a few big boxes as well ...

BTW, the best prices offered by MP sellers on this box are all UK based.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    bluemooze likes this.
  7. coopmv

This is a long youtube ... :righton:

bluemooze likes this.
  8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Listening to an even longer one now:

5-String likes this.
  9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Amoeba San Francisco today. My selections were all conservative, mostly Beethoven, all used and entirely cheap. First off, Leonard Bernstein's Beethoven cycle with the Vienna Philharmonic, for DGG, the CD set:

[​IMG]

The Bernstein/NYPO rendition of the 7th from 1964 has been my favorite for decades, this is the first time I've heard Bernstein's third official recording of the A major symphony.

Also Beethoven, four CDs from the Naxos series of Arthur Schnabel's cycles of Beethoven's Sonatas and Concerti, the prize of the batch being volume 9 of the Piano Works series, the last three sonatas:

[​IMG]

Also, V.10 including the Op. 33 Bagatelles, and Piano Concerti 1,2 and 5 and other works.

Still More Beethoven in the form of the Minnesota Orchestra, Osmo Vanska and a SACD of Beethoven's Eroica and Symphony #8.

[​IMG]

And Finally, two LPs in reprocessed stereo of Furtwängler's Bayreuth 9th. The fake stereo is more convincing than most, the German pressing has very little surface noise.

10. coopmv

This ensemble really likes to put itself on video, just saying ...

bluemooze likes this.
  11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

As regards that Bernstein/VPO recording of Beethoven's 7th, I do believe we have a winner. Have to replay the whole thing:

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  12. coopmv

I have this box and Bernstein's Beethoven 9th with the VPO on 2 DVD's - 1970 and 1980 and the soprano was Gwyneth Jones in both cases ...

I generally prefer Bernstein with the VPO over the NYPO from the mid 70's onward.

13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Another Emerson CD that I got recently for 75 cents. Again, nothing bad, but it fails to really please. "This recording took place on the occasion of the gala concert celebrating the 125th anniversary of BASF AG, Ludwigshafen" and was issued in 1992. I bought quite a few BASF cassette tapes back in the day. Both the Emerson CDs were " Mfd. for BMG Direct Marketing, Inc. under license ".

5-String, Mik and bluemooze like this.
  14. coopmv

The BMG Direct Marketing sold directly to subscribers by re-licensing original DG or Decca recordings. I don't think there are any differences in the SQ between the original issue vs. the BMG issue. BTW, I imagine all these music clubs must have shut down by now since they have lived beyond their usefulness. No?

15. Sweet Cheerio

Sweet Cheerio Forum Resident

I've been meaning to buy that DVD.

RiRiIII likes this.
  16. Sweet Cheerio

Sweet Cheerio Forum Resident

17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I believe you are correct. The Scubert CD has a record club ID (D125035) as well as the DG catalog ID (431 792-2). The 2003 Bach CD has a nine-digit number, which seems to fit later DG issues, but a "B' is added to the beginning, perhaps to indicate "BMG": (B0000908-02).

18. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Yes all discs have generous bonus material and include the cover art from the bonus LP on the back of the CD cover. I think I read somewhere that there is a future box planned for mono vocal material as well? I know there is a second volume box set of Firenc Fricsay in the works for vocal/opera. PS- I have recently delved into the large Chopin box set issued on DG. Going randomly and started with the Nocturnes performed by Pires. Wow.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Indeed! And it would be at least interesting to learn where the problem is: do those new ceedees have some special coding that prevents the playing in certain environments, or does the Yamaha hybrid players have some weird feature that blocks disks like the Decca Mono Box ceedees? Has some party or another introduced into the chain an "invention" that causes troubles? That quite simply is unacceptable.

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Years ago I had a high-end Proceed "cdd" CD-transport (part of the Mark Levinson family at the time) that didn't play several regular CDs, nor the CD-layers of most hybrid SACDs. A nuisance. My current CD-player, a Naim CD5 XS, plays everything except single-layer SACDs.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  21. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

It's really weird and it's something that's not allowed to happen. Specifications are supposed to guarantee that every CD and redbook layer of SACD-hybrid will play in every player that's supposed to play at least redbook CD's.

As my T+A.

22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

My Ayre CX-7e MP cannot read the cds from this collection:

[​IMG]

Go figure........

23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to CD 6 from the "Marcelle Meyer - Ses Enregistrements 1925-1957" box set on EMI.
    • François Couperin - Pieces de clavecin
    • Bach - Partitas 1, 3 and 2/Fantaisie BWV 906

[​IMG]

5-String and George P like this.
  24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Another budget CD bin find, Beethoven's Third and Schumann's only Piano concertos, Sviatoslav Richter piano, Kurt Sanderling/Witold Rowicki conductors, Wiener Symphoniker and Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestras. Predictably fine playing from Richter, decent sound in this early CD reissue of older analog recording. I think this set me back all of $1.95.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Mik and J.A.W. like this.
  25. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I agree. Emerson and Schubert is poor matchup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.