Rumors that Michael Anthony may rejoin Van Halen in 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zep Fan, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Serge, a lot of us care about Mike. Whatever the percentage of versions are true, when it comes out in the wash, he got SCREWED. Being treated more or less like a hired hand didn't sit well with me. He was there when they were playing every filthy rat-hole environment at the start. His backing vocals are a vital element to their sound. Again, if things are true, Mike got vilified for wanting to play and hang with Sammy? That in itself is ridiculous. Obviously, Mike enjoys playing and gets along very well with Sammy, maybe too much for the psychotic VH brothers.

I've always said that I thought the main problem within that band was Roth and his massive ego - one so big, they probably needed a stage by itself to house it. But....after all this crap, Ed and Alex are in Dave's category.

Don't take this wrong, but with the rate of our "idols" keeling over at an increasing rate and frequency, they should make a civil effort to do this one more time. The same goes for a lot of bands out there, and some(Pink Floyd) who can't do it now that essential people are dead.

2. Bren

Bren Forum Resident

Sharp. :righton:

3. dislocatedday

dislocatedday Senior Member

My best guess is that Al goes along with what Ed wants on any decision regarding the band. Things Sammy has said in interviews and in his book give this indication. Al and Ed are brothers and tight, and I understand that, but I really think if there is one person who could tell Ed he is full of $**t on some things it would Al. I think Al could probably steer things in a more positive direction with this band if he wanted.

4. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]

:uhhuh:

ARK likes this.
  5. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Considering how it's been for the last 20 years, maybe he's afraid Eddy will fire him if he tries to steer things in a more positive direction. ;)

6. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

More important is the rumour thar Michael Anthony has decided to stop showing the world his prodigious chest-hair. I have been appointed by every long time Van Halen fan to state concretely: At this point, we have seen far more chest-hair than could ever be necessary. So please Michael, keep your shirt on and keep it buttoned to the top of the collar. In fact, wear a formal tie or a bow-tie just to be safe.

ARK and Bellagio Insider like this.
  7. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

No Michael Anthony was a definite deal breaker for me seeing the reunited Van Halen. And I'd never seen them in any incarnation.

So for me he needs to be there. At this point, though....I don't know. Even if he returned, is it worth the $250 they would probably charge? I saw a video of DLR at Dave Grohl's birthday concert last year, and he just seems too old. Can't sing, and it's cringeworthy watching him gyrating around the stage like he's still 22. His showboating was annoying in 1980; now it's just pathetic. It's also hard to get into the spirit of seeing a show when two of the members are such complete sleaze balls. (Not talking about Anthony or DLR...)

The moment for Van Halen to have the 'real' reunion sadly passed about 20 years ago.

8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I really don't think it was unreasonable of Ed to not want Mike to take part in that Sam & Dave tour. Why should he want his then current bass player to appear onstage with one or possibly both former singers? It just doesn't look right to have a guy that's in the band appearing with the guys that used to be in the band.

Clanceman and pablorkcz like this.
  9. serge

serge Forum Resident

this is basically the way i feel... i wanted the VH reunion and then when it happened they cut out Michael Anthony which was a dealbreaker for me...

at this point..it seems too late and it would be hard to get past all the water under the bridge....

but if they got Michael Anthony back I would have to consider it...though I'm sure it will not happen.

overdrivethree likes this.
  10. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I've always believed that Wolfgang's presence is the one and only thing that can keep Eddie sober. That's a lot of pressure on a young guy and for that I have a lot of empathy for the position Wolfgang is in. Nobody wants Michael back in the band more than me but it's pretty irrelevant if he comes back and they do a tour where Eddie is in the kind of condition he was in for the 2004 tour.

If Wolfgang had grown up wanting to be a football player or a lawyer, I don't think we would have ever seen Dave back in the band. Eddie wanted Wolfgang to skip every step on the road to rock and roll fame and riches and that could only happen with David Lee Roth. Eddie would have probably been happy to never tour again after the VH 3 record broke his heart and spirit. The 2004 tour was a disaster that never should have happened. Sammy and Alex both should have taken one look at Eddie's condition at the time and said 'no way'!

I'm curious about Eddie's sobriety, did he do the 'make amends' step. Because from the fans to all of his former bandmates, he owed a lot of apologies. But the guy appears incapable of accepting any blame for anything, it's always the fault of former producers, managers, bandmates.

Between this Tremonti gig, having a solo album supposedly due late this year, more money than anyone in his age bracket, Wolfgang must have a huge part of him that wants to get out on his own and make his own mark to the degree it's possible at this point. But I believe that Eddie would be dead today if not for his son. And if the son drifted away now, the band would likely dissolve into even less activity than now. And that's the good scenario. Eddie might dissolve right off this earth.

11. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

My opinion:

Van Halen is the band, and Eddie Van Halen wants his son, who is extremely talented to be in the band. Frankly, there is no Van Halen without Wolfie. It's Eddie's right to have it that way.

Not everything is perfect. Relationships end. However, Sammy Hagar has benefited from being in Van Halen. Van Halen continued to flourish with Sammy Hagar

Dave quit the band. He had platinum success instantly on his own.

Michael Anthony is happy rocking with Sammy, Bonham and Vick. He was part of a supergroup with Satriani, C. Smith, Aranoff, and Sammy. He's been touring, living it up at "Cabo Wabo," selling hot sauce, and loving life making great music.

And now, we "get" to have Van Halen. Eddie....centered, sober (for years now), and ready to tour. Alex as steady as ever. The original singer. As Dave himself said in 87' , "Sammy's a great singer for Van Halen, but David Lee is the singer. Wolfie, quite possibly the youth necessary to fuel this final *life for VH, in the way Derek Trucks and Haynes may have been necessary to perpetuate that in the ABB.

Pretty cool to have 3 Van Halens and the original ring leader, David Lee, if you ask me. Btw, he sounds fine. No big expectations on the vox, for me. He's great in the studio, fits that band, their sound, what they do....he's always been erratic vocally live.

He's still a great showman, bizarre and volatile as hell at times, but he's still the "party." Sure, step everything down a key, he'd be perfect. Ha...not making that simple adjustment may even be Dave being Dave. Like I said, for the most part, I'm fine with his vox.

I look forward to seeing them. Glad to see Mikey out making it happen in the latest Hagar project as well.

It's all good. :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  12. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I agree. At this point we will probably never see Mike back with VH. Eddie is happy to have his son in there and if that inspires him to work then so be it. Mike is happy doing what he's doing and he's set for life.

ARK, Moonbeam Skies and Clanceman like this.
  13. SizzleVonSizzleton

One other thing.

I'm not that big of a Pink Floyd fan. Have zero interest in Syd Barrett, only own Meddle, Dark Side, WYWH, Animals and The Wall. Love those albums but it wouldn't even occur to me to think of Floyd in my top ten of bands. That said, a couple weeks ago I watched an unauthorized DVD about the band, focused mainly on The Wall and how things fell apart from there. There was a scene near the end of the reunion with the four original members in 2005. I'd seen this reunion before of course, but I kid you not I damn near shed a tear.

I can't even imagine how much it would mean to me to see Michael back onstage with his band!

ModernDayWarrior likes this.
  14. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Ya never know!

That said, If the the VH genie from the lamp gave me 3 wishes in 2005 - the 1st would be that Eddie stayed alive, and the 2nd that they'd be a band again somehow. Getting Roth back in 07' was a miracle. I still can't believe it. I shed a tear then, again in 12', and more to come in 15'. Dave there, and Ed healthy and killing it. Just wow!

What a fun ride. Part of their show for me over time - expect the unexpected. :righton:

15. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

I just have to ask being a casual fan of VH ( I did see them on the last tour- it was ok )

Serious question .. Isn't Wolfie a way better bass player than Michael ? I'm not talking about the vocals. We know Michael is way better in that department. I'm slso talking about ability at the same age.

16. SizzleVonSizzleton

At the same age? In 1978 (the first VH album and tour) Michael was about the same age Wolfgang is now. Wolfgang has talent without a doubt, I've never denigrated his skills. If you've listened to any VH bootlegs from 1978, for some reason that tour had the bass cranked much more than later tours. And Michael was playing some interesting stuff, not just root notes. Like any other musician, and this counts for both guys, there's probably a lot more skill there than we'll ever hear on a Van Halen record or stage.

So for me, no he isn't way better. Or better at all.

cwsiggy and Clanceman like this.
  17. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

IMO I think Mike is a better bass player. He really doesn't get the credit he deserves as a bass player. The guy can seriously groove and rip it up. He has way more stage presence as well.

That being said, Wolf will progress and gain more experience as time goes on. It's in his blood.

cwsiggy likes this.
  18. SizzleVonSizzleton

Before Wolfgang became the bass player for VH Eddie used to talk about what a great drummer his son was. How much interest does Wolfgang have in getting better and better at the bass? With his solo album, will his energy and creativity be focused on a particular instrument? It's possible it wouldn't even be the bass guitar.

And really Van Halen doesn't require a flashy bass player. The old Billy Sheehan possibility would have been disastrous!

Bottom line, Alex is lucky his last name is Van Halen!!

Panama Jack likes this.
  19. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

It is a good question.

For me, this is it. I just don't view Mike as just the bass player. I'll always miss his JD bass with VH, intro to RWTD, his brand of showmanship, smile, but most of all those vocals. Vocals that, IMO, would erase much of (what I think is silly) "DLR singing" discussion. Essential to the VH sound. His vocals, in contrast to Dave, make an impact different than with Sam.

Wolfie, playing in VH making a great record in 2012'gigs, in 07' as a young teenager on tour, playing great and doing a decent job singing....a great feat in itself.

Btw, many good comments. A lot of different great points. It wouldn't make sense to not miss Mikey, of course.

cwsiggy likes this.
  20. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I saw Van Halen in New Orleans a few years ago and at the time I thought that was the LAST show. Ed was sober and sharp as he's ever been. Roth......voice totally blown out and honestly, embarrassing. Besides, he seemed more happy doing round house kicks and sliding on the wooden part of the stage highly slicked down. I was happy to finally see EVH sober and playing like he was a kid again. Besides Ed playing great, IMO the only saving grace from that train wreck was that we won tickets and it didn't hit us in the pocket book.

My previous show before this one was the debacle in 2004 with Sammy singing. Eddie - blitzed out of his mind, then grabbing a cigarette, smoking it, then starts laughing saying that's what gave him cancer. Pathetic.

Now....a live set is coming out on Tuesday and non "doctored/sweetened" vocally or otherwise? With Roth's voice in the shape it's in, don't think there's enough sweetening in the world that can make that sound good. Again....I'll pass on this one.

21. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

It looked fine. You're trying to justify ed's position, but it's not a rational position. Further exemplified when he allowed Sammy back in The very next year, but wanted to kick Mike out for playing with Sammy. :crazy: You can't expect him to sit on his ass while the band does nothing. He was invited to go out and for a few shows. He wasn't on the whole tour. He didn't perform at the show I saw.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    GodShifter likes this.
  22. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Wolfgang is bailing on the Tremonti tour that's in support of the upcoming album he took part in to play with guys nearly 40 years older than him playing songs he did not create but they did. The Van Halen gig is never going to further his career other than keeping him bank account full. He'll always be Michael Anthony's replacement and mostly just do nostalgia tours.

GodShifter likes this.
  23. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I can't imagine it really mattering much if he did.
    I also can't imagine why he would.

24. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Valerie Bertinelli said, a few years back now, that Wolfie was the impetus for the Van Halens and Roth getting back together, and that ADKOT would have never happened but for Wolfie. It was Wolfie that told his Dad that he needed to get Dave back. Now, maybe on one level, with those statements, she's looking out for her son out on the road with a band that fans would like to see touring with the original bassist. But I doubt she was being that shrewd. I take at face value that without Eddie's son's involvement, none of this Dave back in the band stuff would have ever happened. And if that's the case, there's really no reason to be upset Mike isn't in the band, as it was this or nothing. And frankly, I'd rather have this. :)

Of course I would like to see Mike back in the band, but it's clear to me that was never happening. There were rumors that Mike was in and they were making a new album, but Van Halen News Desk said there was no truth to that at all, and they're usually on the money.

GodShifter and Clanceman like this.
  25. moops

moops Senior Member

If you watch the recent Smithsonian interview with Eddie, he is functioning again because of his son's involvement with his music making.
    That was the major thing driving him to get straight and keep his sh_t together.
    You think Ed is now going to shaft his son for Mike when they're still going to fill stadiums on this 2015 tour anyway ?
    Not a chance.

ARK, GodShifter, Panama Jack and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.