Ever keep a disc that's in Poor condition for a certain reason?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosskeenneat, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe it's that very first copy of "Meet the Beatles!" you saved because your beloved late mom gave it to you in 1964. Maybe it's that one of "Steppenwolf","Sticky Fingers" or "Machine Head" that's seen too many drunken college nights. Or maybe it's the sentimental memories of your long-lost girlfriend that come with that mangled vinyl of Adam Ant or Depeche Mode. Or most likely it's just the fact that you don't know WHERE on god's green earth you're gonna even have another chance at that 10 inch original soundtrack of "The Caine Mutiny". In any case, Is there a piece of vinyl that you have in poor rice-krispies condition that you keep, regardless?

2. fab4

fab4 Forum Resident

Yes ! My records when I was child.
    And recently I found for few euros a UK mono copy of Let it Bleed with the record in bad condition. ... this one will not show up every week !

Rodz42 likes this.
  3. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Yes. As long as the LP or CD plays without flaws, I have no problem keeping it as a listening copy. Once that copy begins to have problems, then I replace it with another.

4. KASHMIR

KASHMIR Forum Resident

An original CD of INXS: Listen Like Thieves that I bought the day it was originally released because it now has CD rot.

5. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i've held on to plenty of beat up foreign pressings of bowie albums because sometimes collecting is about things other than the music.

6. Sweet Cheerio

Sweet Cheerio Forum Resident

The Silver Apples' first LP on Kapp. It's super warped, but I've always kept it because the cover art is awesome and, hey, it's The Silver Apples. Maybe I'll dig it out someday and try to flatten it with tips from a YouTube video.

7. troyvod

troyvod Forum Resident

some of my Dad's Stones records are trashed but i won't throw them

8. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

I have a trashed MFSL LP of Holst - The Planets. Completely unplayable.

jerol

9. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

"Having a Rave Up" by the Yardbirds. Blew my 10-year-old mind. Still have it. Unplayable. And "Daydream" by the Lovin' Spoonful, which plays, barely. (Back cover has a note from myself in the mid-'70s saying how great it still was.)

Along with the "Meet the Beatles" cover, which still has my personal album-library sticker "No. 1," pretty funny considering I would be on No. 1,781,541 now.

10. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Some sticky-surfaced Nimbus CDs (Simple Minds - Sparkle In The Rain, Gary Moore - Corridors Of Power). I made FLAC safety copies and burned CD-Rs for listening.

11. Dave Larr

Dave Larr Forum Resident

Beat, Beat, Beat, a 10" album by The Rolling Stones, just for the cover. Made in Germany for a record club.

12. sfp

sfp Forum Resident

Velvet Underground and Nico: gatefold edition with the banana half-peeled off. Completely unplayable. For listening, Peel Slowly and See is entirely sufficient.

bleachershane likes this.
  13. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

My first Beatles/solo lps bought in the mid eighties...probably all G to Vg condition...seems the Purple Capitol are sought after so I might unload them since I've acquired the Stereo and Mono sets....

14. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I've kept old cassette inserts or old CD inserts
    simply because they had the original album artwork
    when new remastered versions had different artwork.
    (Granted, this is kinda the opposite of the question)

15. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

I have a horribly scratched Deutsche Grammophon pressing of Beethoven's piano concert No. 5. I use the LP as a dust catcher on the platter of my turntable.

16. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

I still have all of the original copies of Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, et al. albums that I bought back in '64. They're unplayable and I've long since replaced them with copies to listen to but I still keep all of those old ones.

I've also kept some CD bootlegs (Great Dane, Totonka, TSP, others) that date to the early-80s but have browned-out and are unplayable.

alchemy likes this.
  17. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

When I used to have CDs, they were never in poor condition, because it's really easy not to scratch them.

Same thing with my vinyl record collection. They stay as good as they were when I bought them.

A defective CD would have been tossed out. CDs had no sentimental value to me.

18. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

2 Beatles singles on 78 rpm. They're scratchy but they actually play through okay.
    I keep them because, well they're 78's....I probably won't have another opportunity to own any.

19. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I have New Order Live at the BBC, which is completely unreadable because of pin holes. I did manage to get a CDR of it though, so I keep the case and original CD but play the CDR.

20. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Stones' 1st UK album. Has an impressive heat damage warp which renders the first two tracks on each side completely unplayable. Came into the charity shop where I work one afternoon a week. We agreed £UK3 for it..........they would just have binned it, and eight of the twelve tracks play sort of OK, and.........well, it's a Decca original of the Stones' first album, innit?

21. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I have a few old destroyed childrens`records in the shed hanging on the wall along with some fishing poles just because my father gave them to us as little kids and they remind me of him and all of the fun things we always did together.
    I got rid of plenty of cds and tapes that were wrecked.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  22. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I've had about 5 cds which no longer play, and got rid of them all. I saw no reason to keep any of them.

23. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

You mean pretty very very poor conditions? (full of scratches?) Nahhh i prefer to make a flac rip and destroy the cd. I really hate used cd's in lame conditions.

24. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

An original copy of the Sort Of LP by Slapp Happy (1972, Polydor Germany). Very rare apparently. The cover has major flaws and the LP has a large scratch - that isn't audible for some reason though. Bought it 20+ years ago for only one (1!) Dutch Guilder. I do have a CD version but I want to keep this as it's the only vinyl original I've ever encountered.

25. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I don't get rid of much.........and have bought scratched up awful records that are OOP and tolerate listening to them (when I had a turntable) - the Grateful Dead's original mix of Aoxomoxoa, for one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.