Co-worker Made Fun of Audiophilia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I had a Bose Wave radio at work for a few years, everyone was green with envy. :goodie:

Obviously I do not work with anyone who is a card carrying member here.

Sentient Six and Sneaky Pete like this.
  2. MC Lurken

MC Lurken Member

I wouldn't bother taking it that far just for work. To each his own I guess. Not that I blame you for wanting high quality sound, but it's just work.

More than happy with my Galaxy S4 w/Neutron MP + Viper4Android for on the go needs.

3. Well I gotta say sometimes we need to be made fun of. Seriously.

Jackson and Tensilversaxes like this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Had no idea they even make such items. Treadmill desk. Im trying to picture this.

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

You should start a thread on that subject, then. This is not one.

Joshua277456 and Tensilversaxes like this.
  6. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

The stories I'm hearing from both sides here are making me even more happy that I left my first and only office job 17 and a half years ago and have worked from home ever since.

7. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

What do you do? I want that job.

8. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

Well, if he thinks it's a waste of time and has negative comments about it, why not offer him a listen, without his Plantronics of course! Perhaps he will hear the reason you make the effort and may decide to at least upgrade his headphones.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I agree that they are wrong, regardless of whether or not they are true.

Dino likes this.
  10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I write things in exchange for money, and sometimes edit things other people have written in exchange for money.

Headphones were allowed in that one office job, and were often entirely necessary to tune out various irritating co-workers. Good bosses know how to let their employees be their most comfortable and productive.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  11. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

Not so much at work, but in I've heard these many times in general:

Q: Why clean your records and needle all the time? Why not just play them?!
    A: It sounds better if I keep my records and stylus clean.
    Q: Does it really matter?!
    A: It does to me.

Q: Why buy such an expensive record player (turntable/tonearm/cartridge) to play on that little stereo?
    A: On my budget, I wanted to keep my records pristine right now. I'll upgrade the rest later.
    Q: Why didn't you spend that money on speakers? That's what makes the sound!
    A: I believe that if I did that, I would just hear the distortion more clearly. This sounds a lot cleaner and there's that record wear thing...
    Statement: Speakers are what makes the sound!!

Q: Records, you still listen to records?!
    A: Yeah.
    Q: Why?
    A: I think that they usually sound better.
    Statement: Everybody says that CDs sound better!
    Response: I've heard about that.

Q: Do you ever think of what you could do if you had the money back that you spent on all those records?!
    A: Yeah, I'd buy records with it.

I could go on and on. Luckily, I always had faith in what I wanted to do - negative comments always rolled off of my back

Grant and jfeldt like this.
  12. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Are you posting from 1969?

13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

If they are true they can t be wrong. But in this case I firmly believe that maturity and behaviour have nothing to do with gender. Zero.

14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It is kind of funny - my job is music, editing videos I've shot of concerts. The thing is, I do the opposite of the OP. I'll have the music soundtrack of the video I'm editing in one ear, and a talk show in the other.

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That's nice in principle, but at least in Japan, I don't think you can turn a blind eye to the fact that women treat each other differently and have very different types of relationships than men do. In my experience, understanding those differences helped me figure out quite a few workplace issues. But again, things may be very different in Japan.

16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I don t know anything about Jaoan in that matter. However-what I reacted to from the beginning was one certain claim. Namely that someone found it surprising that the co-worker in the OP behaved the way he did when he was "mature and male". From my experience co-workers sometimes behave childish and like j-s regardless if they are male or female.
    That s all

Grant likes this.
  17. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Thank God I don't have a "desk" job. All that melodrama would drive me insane. I'm not trying to pick on you (nbakid2000), but taking the time to set all that up makes you an easy target to your co-workers and especially your boss. You expect me to believe that your work would suffer if you didn't have all that equipment set up? That just sounds immature too me.

18. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

In my last job no personal electronic devices at all were allowed in the office area, they had to be locked up in a secure cabinet outside. If you had a work phone, or tablet, for use outside the office they had to be locked up too.

19. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

It's important to consider the impression you're making on your co-workers and supervisors. In most professions, your career progress is highly dependent on how you are viewed by those who make the decisions.

For a while, I thought it would be neat to have a turntable in the office and listen to records (with headphones), and no one complained about it (at least one of the bosses thought it was kinda cool, I think), but I just decided on my own that it wasn't a good idea. I wanted to eliminate any suggestion that I might be distracted or was not focused on doing my job.

Buff Terror likes this.
  20. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

Teaching kind of hampers my ability to listen to music while working but I do keep a pair of headphones at my desk to use when I am doing paperwork. Grading is much more pleasant with music!

Back in the day I worked in a lab and I always had my cd Walkman in my lab coat pocket. The bosses were fine with it...happy worker bees make more honey!

21. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Sometimes I wish I could mute all my co-workers. Talk about noise polution. Some never stop talking crap, and really loud.

Unfortunately I don't find I can listen to music and work at the same time.

22. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I'm a Project Manager / EDI Coordinator / IT Support / computer programmer and wear headphones most of the day. There are only eight of us in this department but listening to music is the best way to block out the noise/talk (open office) so I can concentrate on the work in front of me. Of course I don't wear them when I'm in meetings or need to discuss something with a co-worker. Without music to soothe, I would have walked out of this crazy job a long time ago.

turnersmemo, Tensilversaxes and MikeT like this.
  23. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

What about Muggles?

24. Covenant

Covenant Active Member

25. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Yeah, but when you notice the stapler is making fun of you, you have a whole new set of problems. :crazy:

Erik B. and Dudley Morris like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.