Help Save Ernest Tubb's Midnite Jamboree!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kkfan, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Folks,

Another historical event in the American musical landscape is about to go under, a victim of the times. For those of you who don't know about the Midnite Jamboree, it is the second-longest continuously running radio show in the country, if not the world, having broadcast every Saturday night from Nashville, Tennessee, for 68 years since its inception in 1947. It is second only to the Grand Ole Opry. Unlike the Opry, however, the Midnite Jamboree features mostly traditional country music and bluegrass artists.

Well, that radio show is in trouble.

Ernest Tubb initially setup the Jamboree in such a way that entry was FREE to the public, and it was funded by the sales generated by the Ernest Tubb Record Shop. This model worked well as long as record/CD sales were good. Since the download era began, the store has seen dwindling sales and now it may be shutting down for good.

For a few years, David McCormick, the owner of the shop paid from his own pocket to keep the Jamboree alive and running. But now it seems his resources have also dried up.

In order to raise funds to keep the show going, the Midnight Jamboree Association has been formed in the hopes of garnering enough members to fund the show. However, up to this point, not enough members have joined, mostly due to lack of exposure of the plight of the Jamboree.

Please visit the following website for an overview of the problems faced and for ways to help:

http://www.midnitejamboreeassociation.com

Thanks!

2. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Bump this thread.

This Is American History. Let's protect it.

Thank you to the OP for posting.

clhboa, McLover, jeffsab and 2 others like this.
  3. Kkfan

Thank you Shawn!

Appreciate your sentiment.

In fact, I've PM'd a moderator asking him to consider making this a sticky for a few days. Hope he agrees.

Mr. H, melstapler and ShawnX like this.
  4. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

That's great. I've started pasting your post to an email.

I'll send to some friends. Hope they support the show.

I hate to see something like this get lost.

Wish some of the leaders in Nashville would come in to support the show.

Kkfan likes this.
  5. Kkfan

That's awesome. Thanks!

They need all the help they can get to stay afloat.

Leaders in Nashville? I doubt such folks exist. From what I've seen, they care more about development of the new than the preservation of the old.

rockinlazys, Myke and ShawnX like this.
  6. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Your most likely right, of course. I'm just naive and romantic enough to believe that someone would use their wallet or talent to support this...mission.

Time for a tribute album. Let's see...someone get Ryan Adams on the phone. :)

melstapler and Kkfan like this.
  7. Kkfan

@BradOlson please help spread the word.

Thanks!

McLover and ShawnX like this.
  8. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

This news is both saddening and very frustrating at the same time. Not only is Ernest Tubb Record shop a historical landmark, it's also one of the only record stores left in that part of Nashville. Real estate developers are attempting to gradually turn Nashville into another crowded Austin, with expensive urban apartments/businesses and little regard for history or the fine arts.

The other location of Ernest Tubb Record shop in Ft. Worth was sold last year and although it carries a new name, the current owners were very familiar with the scene and sell the same great products. Ernest Tubb was from an area not far from Ft. Worth, so it made sense for them to open a location in the Stockyards about 22 years ago.

Mr. H, ShawnX, Kkfan and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Next thing you know they'll be closing Tootsie's and putting in a Starbucks. I grew up in Nashville, and now I'm kind of ashamed of what that scene has become. Every time I visit the Ernest Tubb shop on lower Broad it's bustling full of tourists.

melstapler, ShawnX, Mr. H and 2 others like this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Moderators, please sticky this for a few days. This is essential Nashville history we are discussing. In a town which presently has almost no regard for historic cultural preservation. And a cause our host likely does believe in.

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I spread the word on Facebook.

melstapler, ShawnX and Kkfan like this.
  12. Kkfan

Thanks Brad! :)

13. Kkfan

Apparently, Tootsie's did close once for a few months, but fortunately reopened thereafter.

Ernest Tubb Record Shop should be saved from suffering the fate of those less fortunate than Tootsie's.

melstapler likes this.
  14. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I'll do this, also.

Made a small donation.

Q: is that actually Tubb is Coal Miner's Daughter?

Kkfan likes this.
  15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes it is.

melstapler and ShawnX like this.
  16. Kkfan

That's fantastic! Thanks a lot!

And, for others reading, you can either make a donation or purchase a membership. Read more about the membership here:

http://midnitejamboreeassociation.com/membership.html

melstapler and ShawnX like this.
  17. Kkfan

A bump for Sunday afternoon! :)

ShawnX likes this.
  18. Kkfan

And it's a STICKY!! :pineapple:

Thanks, Gary! :righton:

People, please spread the word and support however you can!

Many thanks!

ShawnX likes this.
  19. Glenn Douglas Tubb

Glenn Douglas Tubb New Member

20. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Someone in those areas might want to contact a local and hopefully sympathetic craft beer company -and maybe more than a few as this could be considered a national cause, there is a fantastic Ft. Worth brewery called Rahr brothers. (I just don't know the Nashville area) I only say this because that is an industry on the rise all over and a decent brewery can usually get people's attention by throwing benefit events which is good PR for them and an opportunity for the cause to be recognized. I've noticed that a lot of these breweries like Bell's or Short's in Michigan are always turning out creative and fresh beer names and labels -so doing a limited beer in honor of the cause could be a good way to go for fundraising.
    I could be way off here, as I don't know if this rubs against the traditional grain with regards to alcohol and the connotations that go with it. It's just that most of these smaller businesses consider themselves keepers of the flame with regards to the craft of quality beer brewing and that thinking does seem to align itself to what is going on here.
    Goose Island brewery in Chicago (although recently sold to Budweiser) has a block party once a year and it hosts many bands and loads of people, for two days their factory becomes a big festival.
    Just two events like that could really start the ball rolling as far as awareness goes, and all it would take is for a brewer or two to recognize the serious situation this presents and want to help.

melstapler likes this.
  21. Glenn Douglas Tubb

Glenn Douglas Tubb New Member

I'm new at this and don't really know what I'm doing so if I mess up, don't make fun of me; I'm old and don't know how all this technology works. I just want to thank all those nice people who are trying to help us save the Midnite Jamboree from going under. It holds a special place in my heart. I remember when Uncle Ernest started the MJ back in 1947 when the Ernest Tubb Record Shop was up on Commerce Street, about three blocks to the northwest side of the Ryman Auditorium, where the Grand Ole Opry was help every Saturday night. Very soon it had to be moved to larger quarters because the people walking over from the Opry were blocking the street in front of the record shop. So me and my dad and brothers moved the whole record shop in one night down to 417 Broadway, where it is still in business today. But we don't know how long that will last without some help. the internet is a wonderful thing but it has put the record shop chains out of business and now the individual shops are having a hard time keeping their doors open. people download music for free now instead of buying it like they should be doing. Look at it any way you want to but that is stealing. I won't get on my soapbox about that now because there is a crisis going on right now with the Midnite Jamboree. It has been suspended for the first time in 68 years. Without any record sales at the E.T. Record Shop to pay for all the expenses of airing the MJ, David McCormick, the owner of the Ernest Tubb Record Shops, has been paying all the expenses out of his own pocket for several years. Now he is no longer able to do that. So, he has had to suspend the MJ until a new venue can be found where we can air the MJ. The theater where it has been for years, has just become too expensive. We need Country music lovers and Midnite Jamboree lovers to step up and help us keep this historical treasure alive for future generations. Some friends and I have formed the Midnite Jamboree Association to try and raise enough money to keep the MJ on the air. We need at least a thousand members to help create a financial cushion to operate from. Because it has always been a free show, no tickets have ever been sold. We want to keep it that way, and I believe we can with corporate sponsors and selling more merchandise to take the place of record sales. I believe that this will turn out to be a blessing in disguise if we can just get enough people aware of what is happening. There are sites to go to where you can read more about what I have to say about all this. any of you who would like to become a member of the Midnite Jamboree Association, the annual dues are $75.00 and you can make the checks out to the Midnite Jamboree Association and send to P.O. Box 159326, Nashville, TN 37215. Every cent that comes in is going to help keep the MJ on the air. No one is taking a penny for anything. Ken Mosher, my friend who came up with this idea is making some nice perks for those who join and he's paying for it all out of his pocket. He says it's just his way of trying to help keep the MJ alive. I thank all of you who read this long note and I pray the Lord will bless you all for caring about things like this. We've lost so much already, I hope we don't lost this too.
    Living for Him,
    Glenn Douglas Tubb

Jayski, gloomrider, Revolver and 11 others like this.
  22. Kkfan

@.crystalised. please consider informing Richard Weisz of the dire plight of The Midnite Jamboree. I'm sure he would be glad to help considering how much he has done to preserve the music of Ernest Tubb and others of that era.

McLover and melstapler like this.
  23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

It would nice if Brad Paisley could donate some money or organize more fundraising events to reinstate The Midnight Jamboree. Regardless of what anyone thinks of his music, Paisley seems to have a profound respect for the older generations and always goes the extra mile to express his gratitude.

Jayski, Kkfan and McLover like this.
  24. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I think it isn't just the Midnight Jamboree that's in jeopardy.

I was in Nashville 3 weeks ago, and stopped in to the ET shop to spend some money on some vintage product. Unfortunately, the shelves are bare. Literally 75% of the stock it used to carry is gone, and there is very little to purchase in the store. I was shocked. I've been there half a dozen times over the last 25 years, and never failed to spend serious money on some music...but this time there was very little to be had. I talked about the shocking lack of product for sale with the woman at the cash register, and she admitted that it was scary. She said she hoped they'd be getting a re-stock before the summer tourists arrived.

I left without buying anything other than a couple of Ernest Tubb refrigerator magnets. The store felt like it was about to go belly up. I hope I'm wrong.

clhboa likes this.
  25. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

With the resurgence of Old Time music in younger people hopefully the Jamboree will find a new audience and new financial support.

Thanks for the link I'll pass it along.

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.