Help Save Ernest Tubb's Midnite Jamboree!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kkfan, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

2. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I hope you're wrong, too. I am going down there to visit family next week, and I'll stop by to see how it looks. Last time I was there (last year some time) it was crowded and shelves were fully stocked.

Kkfan likes this.
  3. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

First of all, thanks for everything you and your family have done for country music. I was born and raised in Nashville, and that store on Broadway is one of my favorite places to go. I hope it stays open forever because that's one place in Nashville where you can still find real country music.

As far as buying music rather than stealing it, you are preaching to the choir here. I didn't even know you could buy from the ET Record Shop online, but I sure do now. So all my country music purchases will be coming from y'all from now on.

Here's the link for any other forum members who want to buy online from ET Record Shop: http://www.etrecordshop.com/

There's a link on the left side for online sales.

God bless!

4. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I thought the same thing the last time I was down there. I do think that they have a shop out by the Hotel...unless that one is in the same shape.

5. captwillard

Tootsie's sucks!!! It has expanded several floors, added a rooftop bar, and the bands play Pop Country hits and Classic Rock. It is way crowded. Robert's is where it's at...if you have to be down on Broadway.

6. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

7. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

Kkfan likes this.
  8. captwillard

I wonder if they could convert the space on Broadway into a Honky Tonk. Keep the name, but put it to a different use. There is already a stage there. It was a cool record shop, but expensive. They had tons of Bear Family stuff. Downtown Nashville has blown up as an entertainment district. I wonder if they can transform the shop and have the Jamboree there (again).

WayOutWardell and Kkfan like this.
  9. Kkfan

I think they are looking into that possibility. You can read about it here:

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/suspended-the-midnite-jamboree-in-jeopardy

knob twirler likes this.
  10. Kkfan

Thanks so much!

11. WayOutWardell

WayOutWardell Forum Resident

Donation sent, and passed the word out here.

ShawnX and Kkfan like this.
  12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

A shame that Tootsie's bands disregard the classic country heritage of the club.

DR.J, melstapler and Kkfan like this.
  13. Kkfan

Thanks a lot!

melstapler likes this.
  14. Kkfan

15. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Kkfan likes this.
  16. captwillard

But they are making a ton of money at Tootsie's. A lot of the Honky Tonks are leaning that direction too. If you want more traditional fare, Robert's is the ticket. I only head down there if I'm going to a concert and when I do, I head to Robert's.

17. BradOlson

Thanks.

18. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Last time I was in Robert's I saw BR-549. Been a while.

clhboa likes this.
  19. BradOlson

In other words, the traditional country that is associated with the honky tonk in history is a niche cult no matter what people like us wish as we already knew.

Kkfan and WayOutWardell like this.
  20. captwillard

Right now BroCo is where its at. Keep in mind that The Station Inn is unchanged, Douglass Corner is still around, The Sutler reopened...all are outside of Broadway area. East Nashville also has a bunch of cool venues. Traditional country is grouped in with Americana (Roots Music). There is a great program called Music City Roots whis is syndicated on Radio and broadcast on PBS. Broadcast from the Franklin Factory. As I mentioned earlier, could be a nice opportunity for Ernst Tubb Record Shop...a place to have a drink and hear some Western Swing, Honky Tonk, Bakersfield, etc...

Kkfan likes this.
  21. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Unfortunately, there are people who pay lip service to keeping the old traditions alive, but it isn't a viable business model. Every time WSM is rumored to flip format to talk, everyone flips out and much hand wringing ensues. The fact is, you can't pay people to listen to the station, just as they don't come out for midnight jamboree, etc. Nashville people like the idea of all these things staying the same, they just don't want to actually have to consume or witness any of it.

WSM can be a tax write off because it is owned by a non broadcaster that also owns the Opry, Ryman, Opryland, etc.

Whomever operates the Ernest Tubb locations doesn't have that luxury.

RSharpe likes this.
  22. captwillard

The Opry gets broadcast on CMT and they charge admission to the show. I'm not sure about the radio ratings, but I'm pretty sure the whole thing isn't a write off.

Keep in mind that a good chunk of Nashville residents aren't country music fans. We have a lot of visitors who are, though.

23. Kkfan

Oh yes. There's more love for country music outside of Nashville than in it. The numbers further diminish when you consider traditional country music.

24. WayOutWardell

WayOutWardell Forum Resident

How right you are. It's why Chicago doesn't have a 'blues museum'.

25. Kkfan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.