is there a backstory to the guitars of The Steve Miller Band's Sailor?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Boulder Bob, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

A Guild Starfire V with a pickup from a Gibson bass? Could that be a modified pickup from a Precision Bass on Steve's Barney Kessel Custom?

2. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Always wondered about that too.

[​IMG]

3. Boulder Bob likes this.
  4. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Those were strange times, and ill considered modifications were very common.

It's amazing, isn't it, how none of those guitars show up today, isn't it? One might even be forgiven for thinking that vintage dealers have a propensity for buying them cheaply and surreptitiously repairing them and selling them as 100 percent standard tech.

Miller had a right hand Strat with a left hand Tele neck,too, which requires that the neck or the body be modified at the base.

5. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I always found this band to have two of the most distinctive phases of any band I ever liked (except the Beatles of course:p)

6. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member Thread Starter

phase 1 being psychedelia and phase 2 being pop? the first two albums are the only ones I own

7. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Yeah. You should buy some later ones they are all over every used record shop.

8. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I don't know much about guitars for the OP's inquiry but I do like the guitar playing on the Sailor album. Sailor is a very diverse album and well recorded thanks to Glynn Johns. It is one of my favorites of the albums prior to the Joker. The next few albums after Sailor are definitely worth getting, for those of you who don't have them.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.