2CD Editions of The Specials albums coming soon.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/specials-2cd-deluxe-reissues/

2 Tone Records/Warners Catalogue will release special editions of the three Specials / Special AKA albums released in the 1980s.

These reissues of Specials (1979), More Specials (1980), and In The Studio (1984) will all be two-CD deluxe sets and include all the band’s EPs, non-album singles and B-sides, as well as a new-to-CD 1979 concert performance (at the Paris Theatre), John Peel Sessions and instrumentals of some tracks from third album.
    These 2015 special editions have been newly remastered (by Tim Debney at Fluid Mastering) and issued in conjunction with, and approved by, the founder member Jerry Dammers.
    All three special editions include new sleeve notes by Lois Wilson, and rare and unseen Chalkie Davies photos of the band.
    The Specials deluxe editions are due to be released on 30 March 2015.
    [​IMG]

2. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Cool, great news!

3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Definitely interested in these.

4. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

First album is great and a big part of my life from back then. I could be tempted by these.

5. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Definitely in for the first two, at least.

Not sure they need remastering though. Always thought the 2002 remasters sounded good.

johnnyyen likes this.
  6. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Yes!!

7. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Hope the prices come down a bit.

8. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

A must buy for me.

9. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

Mine arrived today courtesy of Amazon :D. Played all three main albums and relived my mid-teens. 2-tone was the first contemporary music I got into.

10. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Very interested in the sonics...Someone?

11. heliocentric

No complaints from me, I thought the debut in particular sounds good.

haastilecreation likes this.
  12. Cool, if they are like the Shout a Factory reissues, that would be great.

13. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

You can never have too much trombone. :righton:

heliocentric and Clarkophile like this.
  14. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I missed this thread, back in early Feb somehow but I'd be in for buying the first two again (I have the 2002 remasters and had the original LPs at one time) and maybe after 34 years it's time to take the plunge into their third album! :D I suppose like many, they felt like a different band once Terry, Neville and Roddy left to form Fun Boy Three (who I liked a lot) and cut off from there - I might just find it was not a wise thing to do but there we are.

For me, the extras on the 2nd album's disc are fantastic (the concert on the first one I can imagine being a corker too) and will be a marvllous replacement for all those crackly old 45s I kept. :righton:

15. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I'd be interested to buy if it was confirmed that these three sets do not suffer from any glitch/error/cockup of any kind and the audio quality is good. My level of trust on the quality of any "deluxe" re-issue is currently non-existent.

I see "Shout Factory" mentioned here as a reference and I am astonished. The audio quality of the "Shout Factory" Robert Palmer re-issues is egregiously bad.

16. Not to mention the issues with the English Beat sets

17. I've never owned these albums on CD so I'm very curious to hear some feedback

18. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

I'm still wondering why Braggin’ And Tryin’ Not To Lie is not included with More Specials.... It was a free 7", with the LP, and included on cassette versions...

The other side of the free 7" is included! I'm sure it's not a deal breaker, but with such a small discography and a lot of space to fill on those 2CDs....

It wouldn't have hurt to have included the Concrete Jungle (live) single, either (it's Racquel b-side is included)

Oh, well, hopefully a Dance Craze CD/DVD is released in my lifetime :)

noahjld likes this.
  19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Well I love the first two albums, both are brilliant, but there doesn't seem to be much to these sets - More Specials - if you have the previous CD, Peel Sessions disc and the Singles set (which every Specials fan should) then you have it all already, and the debut album is the same as the live stuff has been released before.

What would have made More Specials essential is if they had some demos of those songs done in the style of the first album, like they played Man at C&A live, but no luck there.

I feel it's a missed opportunity somewhat, unless you don't have any digital Specials already.

noahjld likes this.
  20. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

The 7" was included with the recent vinyl reissue.

21. heliocentric

Did you think those English Beat sets were loud? I certainly did and I was expecting similar hear. Happily it's not the case. Demos would have been nice, and I would have loved to hear a More Specials era show.

While the 3rd album isn't a patch on the first two, it's nice to hear after all these years.

22. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I think you're confusing Culture Factory with Shout Factory.

jupiter8 and sonnyrock like this.
  23. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

I have the original CD release of More Specials, and the remaster from 2002, and I seem to remember that the remaster was really peak limited to the point that I was going to get rid of the CD (since I have all these releases on vinyl anyway). I'll give it a listen tonight if I have the time and report back.

24. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

You are probably right!

25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Is there a track listing somewhere?
    I can't find one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.