Do you like silent movies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Baba Oh Really, Jan 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

M is not a silent film. On the contrary, it uses sound in a highly innovative way, to communicate a crucial plot point, that would have been impossible during the silent era.

I'm not a silent film buff by any means, but I have a few in my collection, all from the wonderful Masters of Cinema label.

One of the problems I used to have with silents was that I struggled to connect with them on an emotional level. I wonder if this is why so many are drawn to silent comedies, as opposed to dramas? Anyway, the film that changed my opinion was Carl Th. Dreyer's The Passion of Joan of Arc. It's a remarkably moving piece of cinema, which I recommend to anyone who is looking for a way in to the more serious works of the silent age.

2. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I try to stay up Sunday nights for TCM. I luv silent Sunday Nights!

sean

3. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Funny thing, when I was like six years old, I was fascinated by the early talkies on the local UHF station, but then I learned that there had been silent films, and I wanted to see those even more. But as time went on, I felt I was more interested in early sound.Maybe it was because I was eventually able to see silent comedies every day(Comedy Capers), but early sound remained elusive, save the oldest entries in the LITTLE RASCALS package.

4. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

The Penalty, starring Lon Chaney, was on TCM last night, and wow! What a great, creepy picture!

I've got to the point where I don't even check to see what's on each Sunday night. I'm always surprised and elevated by what's on hand.

5. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

^ ^ ^ ^
    Lon Chaney put himself through absolute hell in several of his roles, this being one of them. Playing a man with no legs from the knees down, his legs were cinched tight up against his thighs, making a really believable figure. Then he emotes. Incredible.

6. davenav

Yes, the way he put it across was incredible. His nuanced performance blew my mind. Now, I can understand why Wm. J. Ackerman started Famous Monsters of Filmland Magazine in his honor.

7. doubleaapn

doubleaapn Forum Resident

Indeed! Back in 1999 I had been dating a girl for a few weeks and I took her to the French Cultural Center in Boston where they were showing a 16 MM print of "The Passion of Joan of Arc", totally silent. It was a risky early date, frankly, because she was not well versed in silent film (especially completely silent) and I wasn't really sure how it was going to go. I had seen it before - albeit with a musical score - so I was hoping that the power of the film would offset her initial reticence. As it turned out, she was floored and to this day - she is now my wife, I might add - still considers it one of the most amazing cinematic events she's ever experienced.
    Any questions about whether a silent film can match the emotional potency of something from the sound era can start (but by no means end) right here.

Aaron

stepeanut likes this.
  8. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

" Don't step on that spider it might be Lon Chaney ".

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  9. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Nothing matches seeing a silent film in the correct setting. Our local Paramount Theater runs a silent marathon once a year, and seeing the film in a 1920's movie house, with either organ or modern accompaniment really takes you back. The films really take on a different quality when projected on a huge screen. Sometimes I wish they still allowed smoking so the theater would be filled with smoke.

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  10. phish

phish Jack Your Body

sure, if i'm doing something else and listening to music.

11. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

When I'm in the right frame of mind I definitely do. I can't say I watch them regularly, but I go on little binges every few years and watch a few.

12. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

even better than slient :evil: the great Lon Chaney in London After Midnight the restored stills

13. chrischrischris

chrischrischris Forum Resident

I watched this today and it's stunning. Excellent acting and effects for 1921. Powerful use of tinting and the modern soundtrack enhances the tension. Like It's a Wonderful Life from Potter's perspective.

It's on YouTube too.

14. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I've been enjoying Chaplin's Mutual shorts on Bluray tonight and they are still fun to watch!!

There are some phenomenal films out there...Joan of Arc, The General, Sunrise, The Crowd, Pandoras Box...I could go on and on....

15. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Both tremendously good films! I wish someone could restore the Hunchback of Notre Dame, but the original elements are probably long gone. What we have left looks to be about 5 generations down.

If a silent film has a terrible score, turn off the sound and put on some pipe organ music. That's what I do. It won't always sync with the picture, but it's tons better than the "Alloy Orchestra".

Holy Diver likes this.
  16. AppleCorp3

You are correct. The original elements are long gone and I believe all that is left is a 16MM print and they're still missing about 15 minutes of the film. They can only do so much, unfortunately.

I'm still astounded by what surfaces from oblivion every now and again, though. We've had some major discoveries this year and back a few!

17. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Have either of you seen the Flicker Alley blu-ray of Hunchback? It is taken from the 16mm element, but is apparently decent considering.

18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

19. AppleCorp3

I haven't yet - but they always do nice work. A wet scan can do wonders.

Pinknik likes this.
  20. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

I have about 30 silent films on DVD or Blu-Ray. They are all either from Germany, or star Louise Brooks, and two of them are German classics starring Louise Brooks.

21. davenav

You must be an Emil Jannings fan, also?

22. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Yes. It takes an adjustment to watch them, but it's worth it. Some great films and excellent performances.

23. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

I know he had a pretty prolific career in the silent film days, but I think he only stars in about 3 of the films I have, The Last Laugh, Tartuffe and Faust.
    When it comes to Silent films, it is generally the directors that interest me (Pabst, Murnau, Hitchcock & Lang) and the actors are secondary, Louise Brooks being the exception. Whereas for the "talkies" its the other way around.

24. davenav

I don't disagree, although I've recently come to the conclusion that the greatest actor of the silent age, who's every film should be seen - is Lon Chaney.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.