Creedence I Heard It Through the Grapevine - LIVE!!! Does it exist- If so WHERE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paperback Writer, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paperback Writer

Paperback Writer Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

3. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

I've always preferred their version over the original.

4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Gladys Knight & The Pips?

EDIT: Actually, Marvin's was recorded first but released after Gladys' version, according to Wikipedia.

5. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Never liked the upbeat groove.
    She looks so cute in this video. :love:

Purple Jim and Paperback Writer like this.
  6. Monosterio

Smokey & The Miracles recorded it too. I didn't know that.

7. Paperback Writer

Thanks! WoW the jams at 6:15 and on have me even hungrier for copies.
    has John Fogerty ever played or recorded this live?

If not, he better lay it down on record, if not , let Tom Petty and the Boys give it a shot. LOL

Fullbug likes this.
  8. Monosterio

9. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I don't know of a live recording of it.

It never made sense to me that Mr Fogerty didn't include it during his temper tantrum phase .
    Grapevine, I put A Spell on You, Good Golly Miss Molly, Midnight Special, Suzy Q, and My Baby Left Me could have all been in his solo concerts without fear of someone else drawing a few cents royalties from him playing them.
    I have done the song in its' entirety the way CCR did it in cover bands, and I have never done it with a singer that found it easy to sing.
    They also had trouble with the metering of it, the vocal always comes in at 6/8, which made it tough for guys playing an instrument.
    I played it with one drummer, who had a very high voice and had no trouble with the vocal but really had to work hard to get the part where the vocal comes in right.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  10. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

To bad the audio was not so good...cool to hear them doing grapevine.

11. cmi

cmi Forum Resident

CCR played 'I Heard It Through the Grapevine' live only in Autumn 1970 on their last 4-piece band tour. Unfortunately this tour was never professionally recorded.

Fullbug and Paperback Writer like this.
  12. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

13. Paperback Writer

I was afraid of that!

14. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

There are also stories that

- it was initially turned down by the Isley Bros;
    - it was recorded as a backing track in early 67 with the Temptations in mind, but Marvin recorded his version over the top of the backing track a couple of months later, but it sat on the shelves because Motown founder Berry Gordy wanted something else to be Marvin's next single;
    - Marvin's version was only included as a filler track on his In The Groove Lp in Summer 68 to placate Norman Whitfield, who had kept badgering Berry Gordon about it (the Miracles version being released at the same time on their Special Occasion record);
    - after Gladys Knight's hit version, Marvin's album cut was picked up later in 68 by a Chicago DJ. The rest, as they say, is history...

15. B_big!

B_big! Vinyl Record Enthusiast

Yep! Look here and listen to it here . [​IMG]

16. Paperback Writer

Anyone know if there is a good recording of this classic, done LIVE

Got that .. key word in the whole sentence was LIVE!

audiomixer likes this.
  17. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

18. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I remember in 1970 or 1971, that a film/video was shown on television of the 4 member Creedence playing Grapevine. It seemed like it was live and I've always assumed it was until I read this thread. Now I'm not 100% sure but I still do believe it was live. From what I can remember it was not from a large concert but was them set up, playing live in a studio or their rehearsal hall. It did not look like a junky video copy. It was very well lit and looked like a nice film. They were all standing and looked like they would at a regular concert. I also remember that this was part of a short set in which they played a few other songs. This was announced as being pulled from that set of numbers. I saw it about 3 or 4 times. It was shown around 7 to 8:30 am as a filler on a local morning program. Again I saw it 3 or 4 times over a couple months and the song was about the length of the album version and not the cut down single version.

It's been so long ago I can't remember any more about it and the one person who I know would be able to give more exact details has died in the past couple years. I was impressed with what I saw and have not seen it since then. I've long hoped a version would be released on DVD because it was very good. I think there was a mention of it in the old style Hit Parader magazine when it still used newsprint before becoming a slick paper magazine. Anybody else remember this? It was a local station and not a network show. I figured it would have popped up in other local areas across the country.

This is not something I imagined. I remember it well and have thought of it over the years. I seem to recall that CCR was doing this for a television special that was never finished or shown. CCR was a huge band at this time and were at the top of their popularity. Think about how few CCR era performances are available. They did a fair amount of tv and had some videos for some of their singles. Will any of this ever be released? I don't doubt that they could do a solid 2 or 3 hour Blu-ray that would sell well. It'll probably never happen.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  19. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Who cares, Marvin owns that song.

majorlance and Purple Jim like this.
  20. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I don't agree at all. I like different versions. I remember the first time I heard the CCR version. That extended instrumental part was great. It's always good to hear someone take a well know song and change enough stuff to be able to almost claim it as their own. Sometimes I want to hear one version, next time I want to hear another version. Why claim this is the only one worth hearing and miss out on the extra enjoyment of a new version?

21. Paperback Writer

Well, I love Marvins' version at least as much - if not more - but really REALLY GREAT songs are "owned" by the writer , in this case, Norman Whitfield.
    This is especially evident by the number of good to great versions that exist by different artists.
    As one who loves that band AND that song -the performance is a must have.

Reader likes this.
  22. Paperback Writer

Same goes for Cosmos Factory's "Ramble Tamble" - would love to have that!

The Hud and Reader like this.
  23. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

I'm sure there's a live version.

Not sure if there's a LIVE!!! version.

Fullbug and Paperback Writer like this.
  24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

There's a live version on Comin' Down the Road (his Royal Albert Hall concert DVD). :)

25. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

My old band used to do the CCR arrangement of "Grapevine" too, and we had to get our female singer to do the lead vocals because neither of our male singers could handle it.... we even played it a semitone lower than the album key, and it was still too high for us! (I'm one of the guys who tried it, and I failed miserably!) :p You need a pretty high range to be able to sing it properly... although I never had any problems with the timing... that was the easy part. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.