BEATLES unreleased "Some Other Guy" tape

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason W, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kermit27

Kermit27 Forum Resident

And I beleive that it is the Sept 5 recordings that have been circulating for years. So this is just another source of the same recordings. Possibly/hopefully an upgrade. (Doubtful.)

2. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Yes. I don't understand what's so confusing about that where people are immediately calling "fake."

theMess and dewey02 like this.
  3. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Gotta check my desk drawers.

nowhereman87 and theMess like this.
  4. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident Thread Starter

i laughed because I first read this as "Gotta check my drawers." Sorry... back to Beatles business.

theMess, supermd and dewey02 like this.
  5. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

It seems that there are a lot of tapes lying around in drawers.
    If everyone wore tight drawers or trousers like the Rutles, these tapes wouldn't have gone lost or unnoticed for so long,
    as "you could see quite clearly, everything...outlines...clear as day."

6. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Wasn't the Pickwick album material supposedly found in an deserted office by one King Size Taylor? It sounds like office maintenance is running behind schedule in Liverpool.

theMess and Jason W like this.
  7. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

They should check the other desk drawers as well - Maybe one them will hold the "Summertime" acetate.

8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, that was the intent. But the overdubbing of the September audio on the August film was not done:

On 22 August 1962, Granada TV filmed The Beatles performing this song at The Cavern. Due to the poor audio quality on the film, a second audio-only recording was made 5 September with the intent to dub it over the film. The overdub was never done and the acetates described below are the only remaining artifacts of the September recording.
    See: http://beatlesource.com/bs/mains/audio/someotherguy/someothergy.html

slane, theMess and dewey02 like this.
  9. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Duh. My bad for not reading it properly. #embarrassed

bumbletort likes this.
  10. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident Thread Starter

maybe there are great job opportunities in Liverpool for people who are great at sorting and organizing (many of us on the forum, no doubt!). past recipients of grants to put things on top of other things :)

Kingsize Taylor described the adventure to recover his original Hamburg tape in the comments thread here:

http://wogew.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/star-club-boot-claims-to-be-raw-tape.html?m=1

theMess and Slokes like this.
  11. misko

misko Forum Resident

The complete Kansas City sounds great as well. This became available a couple years ago.

theMess likes this.
  12. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

And I believe even Sir George Martin found the Love Me Do acetate (with Pete on drums) whilst fiddling around with his drawers in his closet.

At any rate, I wonder if this tape, with very good audio will be included in the Opie Cunningham Beatles Live project. Would that even be a good idea? It would make for better audio, but where do you stop substituting audio from one performance to video of a different performance? (Kinda like a lot of the stuff on Youtube).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Jason W likes this.
  13. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

If Apple buys this i don't fancy me chances of ever hearing it properly (unedited / without voice overs etc.) in best quality. All the Cavern recordings (Paul's reel to reel, the rehearsal, various Some Other Guys/Kansas City) and the raw Star Club tape being auctioned would make an awesome release and pretty much cover my Beatle holy grails along with the complete Revolver session multitracks. I really wish Apple would get their tihs together. The Star Club auction sampler is a real eye (ear ?) opener. What were the record company prats at Lingasong doing with those tapes...they sounded Fab before someone started messing about with them. I really hope someone with a keen sense of history and sharing buys them or my dream is over .

Tommyboy and dewey02 like this.
  14. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

So, the version that we have been watching since forever is the version that was rejected due to poor audio quality?

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes

16. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

This is very exciting news. It is arguably my favourite cover that they ever did.

I hope that we get to hear it at some point.

Has the complete Kansas City that was discovered a few years ago ever been made available to hear?

Frank likes this.
  17. Marc Bessette

Marc Bessette The King of Somewhere Cold

I must check my desk drawers.

18. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I'd pay $.99 on iTunes for that. In fact, I would even pay $1.29.

majorlance likes this.
  19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes, google it.

theMess likes this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I guess it's exciting, but we may never get to hear it. I'm hoping Apple buys it. Unfortunately, this may be the best chance of it ever seeing the light of day.

21. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

If Apple buy it we are unlikely to hear it. It was a bit of a shocker to me that these weren't included on the first Anthology cd - i mean the Beatles at the The Cavern the week Ringo joined - you'd think that was a no-brainer. Luckily i think the two versions of SOG and one of Kansas City are out there albeit not entirely lossless..

22. Arnold Grove

theMess and dewey02 like this.
  23. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I'm glad to hear this, but that sure was an "interesting" guitar solo! :cry:

24. Arnold Grove

A friend of mine commented on the exact same thing when we first heard this a few years ago. That was the first thing she mentioned!!

dewey02 likes this.
  25. Gothik

Gothik Forum Resident

The tape's existence has actually been known about for many years, however no one had bothered to check the date on it and it was assumed that it was the August 22nd recording not September 5th. It was only last year that the date on the tape was noticed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.