Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Billy boy

Billy boy Active Member

I have the Classic Records 200gm of Blue Train, stereo.

Do I need the MM 33?

2. kdl6769

kdl6769 Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I have purchased almost all of the 33 releases and have yet to encounter any quality control issues. My experience has been that Music Matters is more reliable than pretty much any other high end reissue series.

JMAC, JustLust and antielectrons like this.
  3. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

So glad the record went to an appreciative home!

Interestingly, I just received a copy of the Speak Like a Child 45 (from the last Elusive Disc sale, so not quite as inexpensive as yours). I love, love, love this album!!! I'd have to say I probably like it even better than Maiden Voyage. I've never heard anything quite like it--it's basically a piano trio album accentuated by lush brass/wind arrangements (the brass and wind instruments never solo). The piano playing is some of Herbie's most elegant on record, and those brass/wind settings are gorgeous, fitting perfectly with the "of its time in the best way possible" cover art (which Herbie apparently specifically requested). Sonically, it is not one of Rudy's best, at least regarding the piano sound, which is on the dark and reserved side (even on my system, on which the MM 33 of Maiden Voyage sounded too aggressive, albeit not so much in terms of the piano). The brass and wind arrangements, however, sound absolutely intoxicating. I'm surprised this album doesn't seem to be as well-known as its predecessors.

timmikid and mikeyt like this.
  4. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

Yes you do (coming from someone who also owns the original RVG mono)

Billy boy likes this.
  5. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Ah, well I can't wait to spin this. I'm becoming a really big fan of Herbie's work; all his records I've heard so far are really different, really creative, and awesome. About Maiden Voyage I can totally get how you'd feel it was too aggressive. I only have the Mastered for iTunes version to compare, which is enjoyable though a bit laid back, and the MM was really surprising in parts with how punchy the music felt. I dig it, though. Different strokes for different folks.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

My only mark against Hancock is that he hawks for BOSE. Anyone seen his infomercials on late night TV?

7. AnalogJ

Jochem likes this.
  8. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I've mentioned before that my brother is a jazz drummer, and his favorite drummer is Tony Williams. He had never heard Andrew Hill's Point of Departure before, so I spun it for him last night in my new man cave. It sounded unbelievably good, and he really liked it. They got the timbre of the drums and bass so right on this one.

We struck up a conversation about other Blue Note releases, and he mentioned that Brian Blade plays drums in Wayne Shorter's current band. I don't have much Blade in my collection, but I do have Beth Orton's Sugaring Season, on which he plays. So I spun that next and turned my brother onto something new to him. Usually it's the other way around.

mikeyt likes this.
  9. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

My experience is about the same as yours. If I get really picky, the Kenny Burrell LP has a some pops near the end of track 1 on side 2. I figured I could live with it, so I did not send it back. Other than that, I do not have any real complaints. No split seems either. I have purchased most of mine from Music Matter directly.

10. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

I agree fully on the sound of the MM Point of Departure--it is one of my favorite albums musically, and the sonics are really well-balanced here. Heck, even the piano and bass sound good, not always the case in Blue Note productions of that era.

antielectrons and Gabe Walters like this.
  11. AnalogJ

That I'd probably live with as well. An isolate pop or two is tolerable in the scheme of things. Longer and more more frequent issues such as several instances of non-fill , or side-long considerable noise is not tolerable.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Jochem likes this.
  12. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Yes, you need the MM33 Mono :)

13. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

YES! Once heard there is no going back.......

wgb113 and antielectrons like this.
  14. djimpulse

djimpulse New Member

I think some folks who bought multiple copies of the MM 45's are now letting them go for well under the retail price...maybe the perceived value is less due to the new 33 series? I'm wondering if people are worried they'll eventually re-release everything on 33. Recently I've acquired these sealed titles for under 35.00 :

Tina Brooks-Back to the Tracks
    Joe Henderson-Our Thing
    Andrew Hill-Judgement
    and Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers is on its way.

On the quality control front, it took 2 bad copies before I received a good Maiden Voyage. The first had a lock-groove skip, in between tracks oddly enough, the second had a non-fill issue on Side 1. This one sounds amazing...I'd say better sound than Something Else or True Blue. Maiden Voyage definitely sounds like it was cut hotter to my ears.

15. AnalogJ

Third time was a charm for you. I'm hoping the fourth will be for me on that title.

16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

If you talk to Lori, tell her we want a Herbie Nichols album reissued by MM.

mikeyt likes this.
  17. Questhate

Questhate Forum Resident

Jeez, you love beating a dead horse. Do we really need 8 posts in the last day alone about your issues?

Stuff happens. Sometimes we just run into a really bad streak of luck. Lets move on please.

(FWIW, I'm a subscriber of the 33 series and have about 50 of the 45 series and have no issues other than an occasional pop or tick here and there)

18. AnalogJ

Yes. Because there are new members with new examples of problems. And I have a new example of one. And bully for you that you have lucked out and not had any serious issues with your's. Ignore my posts and go past them. You making a comment like you made just raises dust and nothing more, only to result in prolonging the discussion. :wantsome:

19. Tlay

Tlay Forum Resident

Or you could kindly start another thread "defects in MM releases" or "your personal MM quality control experiences," that way people can talk about the wonderful music on this thread and personal problems on the other for newbies curious about diving in. Just a suggestion. While I'm here...I have all the 33's and have had no problems.

CARPEYOLO, dminches, uncleroy and 2 others like this.
  20. AnalogJ

That's certainly a good suggestion. But I'll add that this has been a thread to talk about the experiences of listening to the Music Matters releases, but that also means good and bad. There's some marvelous music. But I'm not the only one who has expressed frustration either with major defects and/or occasional questionable mastering choices (e.g. Why is the 33 of a title brighter than the 45?).

That you have not had any issues with your copies doesn't negate others having defects with their's. Again, if one person gets a car lacking defects, that doesn't negate someone else getting a lemon of the same model. I think it's interesting for many here to read all of it. For those who'd prefer not to read any negative criticism, they can move to the next post.

Jochem likes this.
  21. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Sorry man, wrong thread. Remember?

JMAC, AnalogJ and whaiyun like this.
  22. Jochem

Jochem Member

So let's continue the complaining:)

The "Out To Lunch" made me smile. That record sounded great playing on my system.
    The "Maiden Voyage" made me cry, cause of the horrible QC

I own all the 33's of last year, at least three or four of them are what i consider "bad products".
    Ripped sleeves, Loud Pops, surface noise. I was more busy sending them back, than listening.

Those new 33's becoming a sort of hit or miss thing..

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  23. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

I think a separate thread for QC issues would be a good idea. This thread does seem to have been hijacked by one person and his issues of late.... On the plus side by having a separate thread we will all know where to go to look for these issues.

CARPEYOLO, Good Vibes, AllenR and 3 others like this.
  24. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

lol @AnalogJ stop beating a dead horse, I think almost all your posts on this thread have been talking about how you get bad copies and how MM doesn't respond to you....every.. darn... day

antielectrons and David Ellis like this.
  25. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I repeat. Please would someone start a new thread about vinyl quality and pressing issues. It's not just relevant to MM but to any vinyl.
    I have had the odd vinyl issue but not with MM. I have returned them and got a new copy or a refund.

antielectrons likes this.