Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Quite true. It seems like with some MoFi announcements there's too much lead with no dates and with UMe there's nothing. Can't we get something in the middle?

MarkusGermany likes this.
  2. Bob Belvedere

Bob Belvedere Forum Resident

To quote Lester Bangs's review of Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music in Creem:

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No....

3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I had no idea where to post this so I chose here...

Just got a copy of Mr. S @ Caesars Palace on March 6, 1982 (2nd show)...unauthorized and laughed loudly when I heard Mr. S take a new turn on an ancient phrase from the tune "Without a Song":

"I'll never know what makes that grass so tall" became
    "I'll never know why grass makes you feel so tall!"

After all, it was the midnight show so he could get away with it.

Simon A, bozburn, aoxomoxoa and 5 others like this.
  4. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

I'm sure you've heard the session outtakes for "Sleep in the Subway" along those lines :)

5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I have them but haven't listened to them in AGES! Thanks for the tip to turn me toward them once again.

6. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

No problem. It's definitely worth a listen. I wonder if Mia was there.

7. Mugsy5591

Mugsy5591 Member

When I saw him, he introduced "One For My Baby" like this:

"This is a song about a cat whose chick has split, leaving him all alone in a rundown apartment with roaches. And I'm not talking about the bugs!"

Simon A likes this.
  8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Oh yes, he had mentioned grass countless times in his monologues and when introducing saloon songs. What got me on this particular event was the "naughty" re-wording of a classic lyric line. He spoke once onstage in Boston how pianist Joe Bushkin "laid the first roach on me" in the back of the Dorsey Band bus. He didn't care for it. "I went immediately to whiskey after that!" he said.

9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

New vinyl compilation coming :

Ultimate Sinatra (2LP) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1Z5NAQ/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_wz0avb18ZY1QD

Track Listings
    Disc: 1
    1. All Or Nothing At All (Side A)
    2. I'll Never Smile Again (Side A)
    3. Saturday Night (Is The Loneliest Night Of The Week) (Side A)
    4. Nancy (With The Laughing Face) (Side A)
    5. I've Got The World On A String (Side A)
    6. Young At Heart (Side A)
    7. In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning (Side A)
    Disc: 2
    1. Learnin' The Blues (Side B)
    2. Love And Marriage (Side B)
    3. I've Got You Under My Skin (Side B)
    4. Witchcraft (Side B)
    5. All The Way (Side B)
    Disc: 3
    1. Come Fly With Me (Side A)
    2. One For My Baby (And One More For The Road) (Side A)
    3. The Way You Look Tonight (Side A)
    4. My Kind Of Town (Side A)
    5. Fly Me To The Moon (In Other Words) (Side A)
    6. It Was A Very Good Year (Side A)
    Disc: 4
    1. Strangers In The Night (Side B)
    2. Summer Wind (Side B)
    3. That s Life (Side B)
    4. My Way (Side B)
    5. Theme From New York, New York (Side B)
    6. Put Your Dreams Away (Side B)
    Product Details
    • Original Release Date: 2015
    • Label: Capitol
    • Number of discs: 2
    • ASIN: B00U1Z5NAQ

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  11. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

Finally got round to picking up the 2014 CFWM mono UME vinyl, sounds very nice to my ears. The 320kbps mp3 download, not so much. Think I might end up needle-dropping it for my iPod....

12. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

So I was listening to an interview with Frank Jr. on BBC radio, and he made a very odd comment regarding September of My Years and fly in the face of my understanding of how the album came about. Sinatra Jr. stated that it was the execs at Reprise that suggested the idea to Frank, as a way of drawing attention to Sinatra's milestone fiftieth birthday. I'd never before encountered any suggestion that Sinatra undertook any non-contempo album project at anyone's suggestion other than his own, Sonny Burke, or Don Costa, especially not from some suit at Warner Reprise.

The link to the whole interview is below. Sinatra Jr. remains as engaging and lively as ever.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02lffb8

13. wave

wave Forum Resident

Whenever I hear or see an interview with Frank Jr I always think to myself how much I'd love to sit next to him on a flight. A very, very short flight.

Simon A, Beaneydave, DLant and 2 others like this.
  14. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

:laughup:

DLant likes this.
  15. Bob F

Three new LPs released today in Germany (next Monday in the UK), and it looks like UMe/FSE heeded the complaint about "god-awful long dual catalog numbers." Compare these labels:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It remains to be seen if the labels in the US (release set for next Tuesday, March 31) will match the EU version above. [Courtesy @AxeD —> Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: Close to You (1957)]

Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  16. Bob F

The originally-scheduled fourth title, Watertown, is now listed for June 26 at —> Amazon Germany. This implies a UK release date of June 29, 2015.

17. Personally, I'm not that impressed with the vinyl selections (or rather; a few of them). I realize they went for a commercial "cross-section" but, seriously, "Theme From New York, New York" and "Love And Marriage"? With a comparably short selection of songs like this one, they're nothing but "fillers". To me, anyway.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  18. Bob F

It's a "major hits" cutdown of the 100 tracks in the 4-CD Deluxe Edition selections listed here:

—> ULTIMATE SINATRA: Recording Dates and Original Albums

"Love and Marriage" was one of Sinatra's best-charting Capitol singles. Similarly for Reprise, "Theme from New York, New York" did quite well, and today it's his best-known late-career hit. (Ask any Yankees fan. :)) It's not a collection I would want, but I can understand its appeal for a Sinatra newbie buying vinyl.

Volt-and-Volume and bozburn like this.
  19. Bob F

Now shipping to arrive next Tuesday, March 31, 2015, in the US:

[​IMG]

MarkusGermany likes this.
  20. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Was Bob's question ever answered? I looked around but didn't see anything. I only have the reverb-drenched suitcase tracks and would like to upgrade. Is the Hi-Res version an improvement on the newest (and much less expensive) iTunes version?

21. teag

teag Forum Resident

Unless I have missed it there has been no solid information out regarding the mastering of the LPs released to date, and the ones yet to be released. I find it disappointing that whoever is in control of this information at Universal appears to be prohibiting details. I know we are not the average listeners, but we seem to get this information from other labels (for the most part). Especially for important artist like FS. If I did miss it, please correct me and I apologize. If not, anyone know why are they keeping it under wraps?

22. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

A few of them are Ron McMaster's work, but of course that info is only known once somebody buys a copy and sees "RM" in the deadwax. Most, though, have been Generieke, which is Dutch for "generic." (Digital mastering done in the Netherlands.)

23. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thanks Matt. Is it known if original master tapes are being used as a source?

24. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

"Known?" To my knowledge, that sort of information has not been conveyed publicly. There are certainly some deductions that can be made for some titles, though.

25. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I recently picked up the hi-res downloads of Songs for Young Lovers and This is Sinatra! I don't remember seeing reviews on these, are they well received?