Ready to dump your CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andy, May 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

Wait! You file Jethro Tull under T? There's probably an emoticon to express the sentiment behind that sentence!

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

He won't. But, I can't do it because I refuse to put those dirty, scratched, trashed records on my turntable.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

In poking fun at the music file culture, I decided to take a shot at the iTunes Store, too. :)

radiophonic likes this.
  4. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

..aaaand relax. I was worried that you might also have Led Zep filed under 'Z' and Iggy Pop under 'P'.

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Frankly I won't take that sort of comment on here from anyone. You are the one looking for an argument and can't accept fair comment. Are you looking for a ban or something ?

6. Grant

Well, stop trying to preach your ethics or morality. People will do what they will.

7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I absolutely love CD's, I must be one of the only people left who does. They are small shelf friendly and often with great packaging, plus box sets are brilliant. I like to see my music collection on display.

8. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

There's much to moan about. Bob Dylan under B. Don't even get me started on classical releases (something that will test any cloud system).

9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Actually he meant just download rips of an album instead of doing it yourself-that's what I've done with some of albums which are tucked away. I'll probably never have a turntable again, but the media are still there. Or if it's a big deal to do a lot of drops that you can't find online, just get some Craigslist turntable specifically for that purpose.

Then NoNoise the hell out of everything, to be sure your friend is happy :yikes:

10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

No, there are others, although most any young people would find them antique and/or quaint.

CDs for me, especially once I could play in the car, were a huge liberation from the tyranny of empty space on the end of cassette sides and wow/flutter and HISSSSSSS. Also snap, crackle, and pop.

11. Grant

That's not what he meant. The guy is a family acquaintance. He's also an older guy in his late 60s and isn't technically savvy. I'm not going to download rips of an album just for him, unless you know how I can get away with it...not! :) . Now, if he wants a copy of one that I just happen to already own and did my own needledrop of, i'd give him that. I mean, he had three copies of the Hendrix/Otis Redding live at Montereau album in there, one being a radio promo. I already have that and did a drop of it ten years ago.

12. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Too much $$$$ invested over the decades to just dump them now. There are hundreds of them.

More importantly, I still enjoy the format.

13. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Simply echoing what any have already said: I like my CDs just fine. In fact, contrary to the rise in vinyl sales, I've moved even further toward CD purchases. I love vinyl done right, but the increased cost, suspect sources, and myriad pressing issues have made the CD route an easy one to take... (That's not to bash those who prefer vinyl, so hold yer fire...)

Also...I just received an autographed CD copy of Rob Sexsmith's Carousel One--try that with a download...:)

Bryan Harris and Horace Wimp like this.
  14. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

God bless the CD.

While CD (quality) > iTunes Plus = i'm not dumping anything.

That's the trend now in Spain, if you preorder the physical CD you get it signed..if the artist is still alive obviously lol

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    sennj likes this.
  15. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

If the original album was from the vinyl era and the new download only remaster is the best digital version then it is hard to see value in the cd reissue...especially if it is a run of the mill cd.

I also wonder if I need volumes of common CDs from 90's when I have lossless backed up and need to free up space.

I have been tempted to stream the new common issues and only buy more limited issue items.

Regardless I am not dumping my CDs. I rip sacd cd etc all to media server and primarily only listen to it or vinyl but still enjoy seeing the CDs.

I struggle with download as I like having an item. I will play the download but if it's a reissue I may look at the old record.

16. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

edit fat-fingered "Rob" instead of "Ron". Keys too close, room too dark...

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I know folks with thousands of CDs who decided to clean house. Some have paid off debt and bought a new car with proceeds. Not everyone likes CDs anymore, or not the sight of them anyway.

18. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Yep. That was me - six pages ago.

19. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I know this is an old thread but I feel the need to reply anyhow.

No, I don't want to dump my CDs. I love 'em! In fact I want MORE, not less.

20. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I keep my CDs mainly for the artwork and liner notes. Once I rip them, they sit like trophies on the shelf....never play them again.

Rodz42 likes this.
  21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That's what I did in '08 when I moved to Nashville. Took me many, many months to find a job, since I decided to up and move at possibly the worst time possible, and that cash kept me going during that time.

22. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I dump my CDs only when I find a good vinyl pressing of the same. And, I still buy CDs when I can't find a good vinyl pressing of an album or the vinyl version is ridiculously priced. Generally speaking, my CDs are living on borrowed time. But, dumping them just to dump them... nah. I still prefer my own physical copy, for several reasons.

Rodz42 likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I had a hard time one summer about 8 or 9 years ago. I dumped the MFSL golds and got top dollar for them. I think I kept just a few favorites. The next summer blew out box sets and made really great profits on them. No regrets, backed them up first.

24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I had some rare stuff that I sold on ebay, the rest went to the local shops around Chicago. I probably pocketed $5-6,000 after all was said and done. And I didn't have to figure out how to move all that stuff 500 miles away, which was also kind of important at the time.

25. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I'm ready to sell 70+ MFSL CDs. I have 130 or so.

Boxed up the ones I wanted to sell a 3 years ago and put the box on the floor. They are still there, in the box, on the floor. lol.

Sometimes... I think just keep them. They do 'loo' real cool' (to me), a 'collection' in black, in the CD display rack though. :) Maybe I'll keep em. Who knows. Can't figure it out. I'd never miss them, at all really, never play them.

Got a bunch of 'Targets' and 'collector types' CDs too that I never listen to anymore. I'm much more of an LP guy anyway... but I like CDs too.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Rodz42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.