Goodwill or Garbage?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BrewCrew82, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident

Because that's what we need. More god-awful, ugly clothes and bowls made out of records

2. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I have the same issue with old books- I can't throw them in the trash. I'll give them to the library or some other charity, old age home, whatever, but it's like a Bonfire of the Vanities issue, for me. Maybe that's an element of what you are asking about, and I agree, give 'em to GW or another place like that.

Platterpus likes this.
  3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

If have a lot (like 50) LPs, then I take them to Goodwill

If it's just a few LPs, then I set them on the treelawn and they get picked up before the garbage truck comes, thus delaying the inevitable trip to the landfill.

Platterpus likes this.
  4. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

What you give to a thrift store/Goodwill regardless of the condition will be sorted by these places and the unusable rubbish will be thrown in most cases. Some crap does hit the floor though. But like what others said here, some people may not want the records for playability purposes or collecting. Some people like this stuff for art projects as well.

5. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

If I put records out on the curb they are always gone before the garbage man arrives. Put'm out early and let someone else decide.

6. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I have got some nice records from a thrift store.I have seen some beat records that I wouldn't give a second thought but apparently someone does as they do disappear.I am talking about popular classic rock records not Mitch Miller type.

7. goodwill, thrift, curbside donation - anything but trashing them! Somehow, permanently destroying ANY music is akin to burning books. No reason for you to judge that nobody else can ever get any enjoyment from this thing, and no reason to clog a landfill with your wastefulness! Do anything but keep them OUT of landfill!!! We make enough REAL garbage already! Don't needlessly add to it because of your bias and ignorance, people!!!!

8. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Are you joking? You think throwing out beat to hell Ray Conniff LPs is the same as publicly destroying books based on religious or political reasons?

serge likes this.
  9. Not the same but similar... It just seems wrong to destroy art in general - but it's criminal to stuff landfill with them! It's just wrong to decide that this piece of vinyl and cardboard is absolutely useless to each of the 7+ billion people on earth. I just can't make that decision for all those people...

10. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

beat up records - trash em. Dumping unsaleable trash on charities is rude.

11. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Not scratched, playable, GW.

12. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Anywhere but Goodwill. Trash the moldy ones, donate to a small local thrift or yard sale 'em at blow out prices. :)

13. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Beat up records need to be trashed. What good is scratched to pieces vinyl doing for the needle on the next persons turntable. More than likely, it's damaging the stylus and affecting the NM/EX/VG+ records they already have that get played after it.

If you want to see them made into coasters or bowls, call the local college or high school and offer them to the art department. Otherwise, toss them. We live in a much better connected society now where finding a title on vinyl isn't so hard that people should tolerate playing some frisbee of a disc because they won't likely see it again.

14. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I trash them. I consider it charity to save someone else the time flipping through the dreck in the bins.

It's too bad we don't have a recycle stream for beat up vinyl or cassette tapes.

serge likes this.
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Don't throw anything away if it can be recycled or used by someone.

Fullbug and Audioarchivist like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.