Who 2015 Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockDude4492, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

To be honest, I don't think a possible 2015 reissue of Tommy is going to sound better than last years cut by Kevin Gray.

tubesandvinyl likes this.
  2. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

You're probably right about that. And I'm already regretting my rather hasty decision to get rid of my copy of the 2014. Either way, as I've pointed out quite a good number of times, my desire to get the new one is also a matter of aesthetics as it is sonic properties. I just want to have a good reissue with ALL OF the cover art intact. Either way, UMe deserves a swift kick in the ass for being dishonest with the marketing on their Who vinyl reissue campaign. How hard would it have been for them to simply announce that only SELECT albums would be reissued?

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I ordered The Who Hits 50 from Acoustic Sounds and it arrived today. First of all, I didn't realize how much the vinyl pressing was paired down. Some of the more interesting tracks, to me, like Dogs were removed from the track listing. What we get is more akin to the typical greatest hits package, for the most part.

I listened to the 1st side only. Not impressed at all, as it's lacking in dynamics. I have an MCA greatest hits package from the late 80s that sounds better than this record. I think it's Who's Better Who's Best.

In this instance the CD is better sounding. Save your money.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  4. Vinyl Dude

Yeah...That's EXACTLY why I had no interest in getting that one. It's nothing more than a run-of-the-mill greatest hits comp for your average casual fan. Just something for them to spin on their cheap, crappy Crosley record players, so that they can enjoy the irritating "warmth" of vinyl as the cheap needle ruins the precious vinyl.

Tommyboy likes this.
  5. Time to play B-Sides

Time to play B-Sides Forum Resident

I don't think that is necessarily true. I intend to buy the Brunswick singles box set and probably half of the studio albums, but I bought the 50! album basically only for disc 1 for those times when I want to hear the early singles without having to constantly flip and change 45s. That being said, the vinyl itself is terrible and suffers massively from IGD. I have to keep gradually reducing the treble as each side plays to compensate for what eventually ends up sounding like the static from a radio broadcast that isn't quite tuned in. It's one of the worst instances of IGD I've ever heard.

I bought Who's Next last night but haven't listened to it yet because I want to play it really loudly the first time, and have to wait until a decent hour so I don't wake my neighbors upstairs. I just pray it doesn't have IGD anywhere close to 50!

Vinyl Dude likes this.
  6. Paul Beatty

Paul Beatty Forum Resident

Thanks for this information. Looking forward to hearing about the Who's Next reissue. I've been waiting to hear from you guys before I pull the trigger on these 2015 reissues.

Vinyl Dude likes this.
  7. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I bought The Who Hits 50, A Quick One and Sell Out. I've listened to them a few times so far and think they sound just fine. My Hits 50 doesn't suffer from IGD at all. Nice to finally get the poster that was in the initial copies of Sell Out in the UK. I may wind up springing for the rest. My Generation will be a must buy just so I can compare it to other versions I own. I too was slightly dismayed at the 2 LP length of Hits 50 but who is going to spring for a 4 LP set at today's vinyl prices. At least the 2 CD set is inexpensive for the whole shebang. Not disappointed with the new ones at all.

Bill and rstamberg like this.
  8. Vinyl Dude

My copy of "Who's Next" had only a small, barely noticeable amount of IGD towards the end of "Won't Get Fooled Again", but otherwise sounded fantastic. However, it was quite obviously meant to be played LOUD, as that's the only way to really capture the nuances and dynamics of the remastering on this particular album.

9. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Budget precluded picking up more than one reissue this week, so I went with TWSO. I love it. Quiet, great dynamics, and it has the poster. Winner!

Edit: I should mention I thought there was mild IGD toward the end of each side, but I was running my Shure M97xE/Jico SAS at 1.25 grams with the brush up. I increased tracking to 1.75 with the brush down, and the apparent IGD vanished.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Vinyl Dude likes this.
  10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I haven't opened my copy of the new ENDLESS WIRE pressing yet, but there's no Geffen logo on my copy's cover. No 2015 date, either. I'll get back to you once I've opened and played my LPs.

Vinyl Dude likes this.
  11. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

No box set?

12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The box set came out a couple years ago.

13. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

I completely agree. It's good way to listen to this album in general but this new versions doesn't really stand out as anything that special until it's really juiced up.

Vinyl Dude likes this.
  14. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

A new one then. I passed on the old one.

15. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

They are still available.

16. Are the new reissues labeled with as 2015? I'm looking at Quadrophenia on Amazon UK and there're quite a few listed at a reasonable price from 3rd party sellers but I'm unsure if they're the 2015 or the earlier set from a year or two back.

17. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Meet the new box, same as the old box.

18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Listening to TWSO again. This thing sounds better the more I play it. Simply a fab reissue.

Tommyboy and apple-richard like this.
  19. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

All the new reissues have the Geffen Logo on the label and spine and also have the original year of release and 2015 on the back cover..

Tommyboy and nibor like this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It's pretty good isn't it.

apple-richard and Ben Adams like this.
  21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yep. No complaints whatsoever, which is nice. Hope the first two live up to this when I pick them up.

apple-richard and Tommyboy like this.
  22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

They're pretty good, as long as you keep in mind the source material is flawed to begin with. I'm sure you're well aware of it with your experience.

Vinyl Dude likes this.
  23. Vinyl Dude

Actually, albeit reluctantly, I went ahead and put my copy of "Wire" on for a spin after I got it. And even though it clearly is not the proper 2015 reissue and possibly a repackaging of the 2012 box set edition pressed by .GZ, WHO THE F CARES? The vinyl was flat, perfectly centered and DEAD QUIET...The subtleties, nuances and dynamics could be heard in ways that were simply NOT captured on my NOS Universal Republic 1st-pressing on reg. weight vinyl (as good as I thought that one was). It's almost as if I were hearing it on vinyl for the first time all over again!!!!! Needless to say, I think THIS one's a keeper!!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    apple-richard likes this.
  24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Just for clarification, you're saying ENDLESS WIRE included? I got mine from SoundStage, along with four other new Who vinyl reissues from the same series and there is no Geffen logo nor a 2015 on the back cover of what they sent me right along with the other four (those four do have the logo and date as you state). That would seem odd, hence I'm asking you to make sure. Thanks.

25. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Well that's good.
    BTW, there isn't any Universal Republic logo or mention anywhere on my still-unopened LP set.

Y'know, I didn't have ENDLESS WIRE on vinyl before so if this pressing's as good as yours is, I'll keep it. I'm still kinda curious about what's out there for this title on vinyl i.e, what the hell?

Vinyl Dude likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.