Fotheringay: new boxed set featuring DVD and unreleased tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mdekoning, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Musicisthebest and Hutch like this.
  2. Here is the reported stuff that will be on the DVD.

DISC FOUR – DVD – BEAT CLUB 28th NOVEMBER 1970
    1. Nothing More (Previously Unreleased - not broadcast)
    2. Gypsy Davey (Previously Unreleased)
    3. John the Gun (Previously Unreleased – not broadcast)
    4. Too Much of Nothing

3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Any impressions yet?

4. Hasn't shipped just yet. Looks like in a day or two. At least for me.

5. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Not meaning to turn this into a "has it shipped yet" thread, but yes, I was notified by Amazon U.K. that mine shipped on Saturday.

This hurts...

Your estimated delivery date is:
    Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Shipped via carrier pigeon? :shrug:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  6. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

I'm waiting for a good reason to buy this from reviews on here, otherwise sitting on the fence....

7. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That's what mine says too. But Amazon.uk delivery estimates to the US always seem to have a wide margin of error. Sometimes I see stuff from them about a week after it's dispatched. Other times, it's can stretch to three weeks or so. Extremely unpredictable.

Muzyck likes this.
  8. Ordered it from Amazon.de for about 31$ shipped

9. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

For a band that only released one proper album, there sure have been an awful lot of repackagings with unreleased/unfinished/live recordings added. While I bought some of those, I find that the "official" album really is the only one that matters (but I am not a fan of "live" recordings in general). I do feel like this is barrel scraping also.

10. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

They like to under promise and over deliver

Muzyck and DeeThomaz like this.
  11. Their TV live version of Too Much of Nothing is the standard though but that's not on the CDs though, much to my chagrin.

12. Easy enough to rip off the dvd, though it would have been nice had they included it on cd.

13. daytripper09

daytripper09 Well-Known Member

thanks up there, I also ordered it from Amazon Germany.

14. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

I wonder about the sound quality of the remaster - hope its not loud or flat sounding. I dont like the last remaster very much (with the bonus tracks).

15. True, but the reason I buy 'complete' box sets is so I don't have to do stuff like that. Moves like that just gives pirates more ammo. Ditto for the alternate version of George Harrison's Miss O' Dell.

Could be licensing though. There's always some legal crap that decides this stuff.

16. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

It arrived on Monday, it's the same sound overall as the 2008ish Fortheringay Vol2 CD.
    The real prize is the LIVE Beat Club video. Seeing Sandy singing again is terrific.
    The book is nice, very detailed, plenty of photos. Sitting right next to the Sandy at the BBC box now.

Pete Puma likes this.
  17. Lucky Brit. :p

18. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Those delays are entirely the fault of U.S. Customs. Those guys aren't the fastest workers anyway, but they're also understaffed.

19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Not necessarily. When I bought the Bob Dylan Complete Album Collection box from Amazon UK in January, it was shipped to me using a service called i-Parcel. This is the first time that anything (including heavy boxsets) had been sent to me using this method. The tracking number provided linked to UPS. I could tell from the UPS information that, despite Amazon e-mailing to say that my package had shipped, it was more likely that only the shipping process had been started and that the package was not collected for several more days. Once UPS had it, it made it to the West Coast in no time, and then the next delay was introduced. Final delivery is carried out by USPS, so there was a day or two lost while they did the transfer from UPS to USPS. That also created a new tracking number within USPS' tracking system.

I can see from my e-mail that Amazon UK wrote on Jan. 26 to say that the box had shipped, with expected delivery on Feb. 10, and it certainly took two weeks to get to me, even though packages in the past have generally taken only 4-5 days (when shipped using regular mail). I can only assume that this is a cost saving measure, and that part of the cost saving is that items are not processed immediately.

20. mdekoning

mdekoning Senior Member Thread Starter

My copy arrived yesterday, some quick impressions:
    - Nicely packaged. Many photos I hadn't seen before (from recording sessions and the Rotterdam Holland Pop festival)
    - Liner noters are basically a summary of what's mentioned about the band in Mick Houghton's recent biography, not a bad thing.
    - DVD was a pleasant surprise. You can't expect better quality from a 1970 TV broadcast and the band is in fine form.
    - The original 2 albums sound much like the most recent issues, not bad but not spectacular either
    - Rotterdam show sounds a bit shaky at times but then it was never a sonic wonder. BBC recordings at the end sound better.

I'll post a more extensive review on my blog soon when I've heard more and compared it to what was already out there.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  21. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

:agree: Just arrived safe and sound. :)

DeeThomaz likes this.
  22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Okay. Jealous here (even though I already realize there is very little truly new on this set overall).

23. j1804

j1804 Forum Resident

24. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

That is a great version of that song.

Nick Dunning likes this.
  25. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Amazon.DE (Germany) had a fantastic sale a week or so back. Ordered it therefore looking forward to receiving mine in a week or two.

Rick A.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.