Linn Lp12 value question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RalphNYC, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

BTW, David and Alma rock. Been a customer since perhaps 1990 or 1991.

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Nate, Re: your son's comments. I wish there was a Love button for this. When young folks hear vinyl at my home, they often say the same thing a lot. It is our duty to pass our skills and know how their way to keep their experiences consistent and fine. This keeps our hobby alive and relevant.

Don Parkhurst and Nate like this.
  3. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

What's also interesting is that now as a teen, my oldest son thinks his dad is cool because I have vinyl and never gave up my vinyl, and that I started buying vinyl in the 70's. LPs were either $2.99 or $3.99 at Korvettes!

4. RalphNYC

RalphNYC Well-Known Member Thread Starter

The cymbals and drums were the first thing to strike me on that Ben Webster album. On my digital source, drum kits sound good and I'm satisfied with the sound. But on vinyl it's not just a good sound, it's exciting. The cymbals and stick sounds, the toms, all the different shades of snare hits - it's so alive. I honestly don't require all that to enjoy recorded music... but when I do get it from a hifi, man it's A LOT of fun.

5. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

Hey Ralph, I really hope you take your time deciding what to do here. I think there's no doubting you have something special there but you've got to decide if this is what you want to use on a daily basis - that was your original dilemma, no? So now you have started listening, don't forget to A) eat and B) sleep tonight. :D

I just had my LP12 upgraded and know you will have some happy times together. :love:

6. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

Got a question for the LP12 folks here.

My Arkiv B won't last forever and I don't want to spend the huge dollars on a Kandid.

What's a reasonable replacement? I'm fine with a lateral move

7. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

I would see if you can acquire a Lyra Delos...or IF funds allow, a Lyra Kleos. The Kandid is sourced from Lyra and I would suspect that it would have a family sound like the two Lyra's that I suggested.

8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Excellent news! I've had an LP12 since 1989 and it really knows how to make music very alive and involving.

9. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

The local Linn dealer likes to mate various Dynavector cartridges with LP12s. The results sound good to my ears. The XX2 was really nice on one of their demo tables. Currently I have a Dynavector 20x2 on my LP12, and am pleased with the musical qualities.

Before the Dynavector I had a Linn Adikt which is of course completely compatible with Linn tonearms. It's a solid performing moving magnet which can sound quite nice with the right phone preamp.

10. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

I've been using a Dynavector 20x2L w/my Ittok arm and love the sound. I also added the Dynavector P-75MKIII phono makes a great addition.

11. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Having a great source (LP12) is a great starting point. If you really want to get back to listening to vinyl, then I would beg, steal or borrow to buy reasonably priced speakers!

There are plenty of people on this forum who will never be in a position to own a turntable like that!

JG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.