Who 2015 Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockDude4492, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I have not seen 2015 US versions of Tommy, Quadrophenia or Endless Wire in the shops yet.

I can verify that these titles all have the Geffen Logo and 2015 on the covers

My Generation
    A Quick One
    Sell Out
    Who's Next
    By Numbers
    Who Are You
    Face Dances
    It's Hard

Clanceman, Vinyl Dude and rstamberg like this.
  2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Okay, thanks. Jury's still out then ... but it is curious what's being sold as new.

BTW, no original ODDS 'N SODS? If so, I'm odds 'n sad. Big time.

3. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I bought the Universal Republic 1st press of Endless Wire a few months back and was quite pleased with it and the $14 sealed price I paid. The records are indeed thin. When I first got it in the mail I thought maybe it was missing an LP before I opened it. That's what happens when you get used to 180 gram and 200 gram new releases.

rstamberg and Vinyl Dude like this.
  4. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

$14.99 is about what I paid for my NOS 1st-press of "Wire" when I got it more than a year ago. Of course, as I've pointed out, I got rid of it on the hunch that the new 180g would be an improvement. And, though mine is-again-NOT the "proper" 2015 reissue, my hunch paid off, nonetheless!

Kerm and apple-richard like this.
  5. Vinyl Dude

Again, the N. American 1st-pressing from 2006 was Universal Republic. The original U.K. and 2012 box set pressings are both Polydor.

6. Vinyl Dude

Yeah...Seems to me that someone in the marketing dept. at UMe was trying to play us for fools. They SHOULD'VE stated that only SELECT Who Albums were going to be reissued this year, which clearly seems to be the case, rather than ALL of them worldwide.

apple-richard likes this.
  7. Vinyl Dude

And what's cool about this edition vs. the U.S. Universal Republic original, is that the new one contains the lyrics, album credits AND liner notes from Pete and Roger together on printed inners, whereas the song titles, credits and liners sharing space on the back cover of the original, with no printed lyrics included, and the records housed in plain white inners with no poly-lining.

8. "Play us for fools" Really ? You think the record company folks are plotting this ?

Tommyboy likes this.
  9. Vinyl Dude

Think about it...If not the label, then obviously the band or one of their reps must be responsible for this nonsense! As I'm gonna say for the 100th time: WHY would the announcement be made that ALL 11 of their studio albums are set for indiviual reissue WORLDWIDE, if "Tommy", "Quad" and "Wire" were going to be absent from this particular reissue campaign for the North American Market? Seriously....We need some answers here...

10. Did they ever say all released on the same day ? The recent Kinks and Nick Cave reissues rolled out over several months. Same with Zep and many others.

11. Vinyl Dude

Yeah, actually they DID state in the marketing hype that they were going to all be reissued WORLDWIDE on the same day: March 24th (March 23rd in the U.K.)!

12. Vinyl Dude

http://thewho.com/hits-vinyl/ Here is the original press release on the 2015 reissue campaign, which rolled out towards the end of January.

13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yep. '60s rock recordings are what they are. Unless you're referring to these being mastered from digital? Because honestly, I can't tell.

Vinyl Dude likes this.
  14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No, I meant the original masters. The My Generation album is going to have that distorted sound in areas, whether it be mastered from an analog or digital source. I was satisfied with the new pressing.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Ben Adams and Vinyl Dude like this.
  15. Vinyl Dude

Ditto here!!!!

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

This is true. This is why I'm sorta pissed even though the disc in hand may be a winner anyway. They "released" this the same day as the real remasters. That really sucks that they'd do that intentionally. Oh, and Pete and Roger have nothing to do with such shenanigans; it's purely the record company to blame.

But why? Lots of 2012 overstock of ENDLESS WIRE? Why bother? Or, if it's really dastardly and intentionally misleading, why not print new sleeves or put a sticker over the dates on the cover or something truly deceptive? I don't get it at all. Why? What's Universal's motivation if this is a lie? Doesn't make any sense to me. I just don't like being fooled ... if that's what happened. Aagghh.

Vinyl Dude likes this.
  17. Vinyl Dude

I know, man...It's a BIG, BIG LOAD of horseshite!!!! And if they were going to stagger certain releases over the course of a few months, why couldn't they be honest about that, either? Oh, well...Guess I'd better have my local shop re-order me another copy of the 2014 reissue of "Tommy". The 2011 "Quadrophenia" I can live without, since that reissue sucked! Either that, or borrow a friend's plastic and re-imburse him for the full cash amount (shipping & handling included), in order to get them from Amazon U.K. Either way, I'll say it again and again until I'm black and blue in the face....SOMEBODY at Universal owes us a serious explanation for this!!!!!!!! Now, let's hope that they make the singles box available for North America, too...Or else I'm REALLY gonna boycott all future vinyl releases from UMe!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  18. They are just records. With demand what it is at the pressing plants I'm actually surprised LPS come out on the scheduled dates anyway. Unless it's a box set I prefer staggers reissued releases.

Lps are frequently late these days. Bjork, Ringo, Cave and many others have been delayed.

19. Vinyl Dude

I certainly would agree more with staggered releases for reissues, too. Case in point: Rush. In putting out only one 200g reissue a month through the year, they are going about it the SMARTEST way possible, giving fans time to save money and catch up. However, IF-and mind you, I'm only saying IF...UMe/Geffen were going to do this with the new Who reissues, they should've been HONEST in their advertising and press hype, like Rush's reps were with theirs!!!!! THAT'S all we're sayin'. Otherwise, again, IF the new PROPER remasters of "Tommy", "Quad" and "Wire" are going to be delayed for the North American market, that's fine. I'm sure they'd be well worth the wait. Then again, I'm only concerned about getting the first two out of three, since I am perfectly satisfied with my new non-2015 reissue of "Wire".

20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Endless Wire doesn't count as a real Who album.

Mazzy likes this.
  21. Vinyl Dude

That's down to just one person's opinion, and one I'm sorry to say that I DON'T agree with. Just b/c Ox and Loon are missing in the physical sense doesn't mean that their spirit isn't FELT on a few tracks. Otherwise, it's EVERY BIT a REAL Who album, as far as I can hear.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  22. It's an ok album and I guess it's a Who album. If 10cc can continue with half it's members then ... But for me it's mediocre like the last Pink Flord record

VinyLen and Vinyl Dude like this.
  23. Vinyl Dude

Believe me, I didn't think I would like it as much as I did. In fact, my initial reaction to the initial news of its release was "Yawwwwn"! LOL! However, when I heard the CD at a friend's house, probably not too long after it came out, I LOVED IT right from the start. Same with Pink Floyd's "Endless River". I wasn't sure how I'd feel about that one, either. But, same scenario, I listened to a download on a friend's iPod about a day after its release. So, after another week or two, THAT is when I broke down and bought the vinyl. I myself couldn't be happier.

Mazzy likes this.
  24. The_Andres

The_Andres New Member

Hi

I'm looking forward for a brand new copy of My Generation. Does anyone has one of these reissues, yet? Should I pick the 371560 3 (Polydor, 2013) or the new B0022558-01 (Geffen, 2015)? Cheers

25. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Okay, so I cracked open, Spin-Cleaned and am currently spinning the "new" ENDLESS WIRE double vinyl "reissue." Well, technically it is a reissue ... anyway, no Republic logo, no Geffen logo, custom LP labels. Very attractive, actually. The records themselves sound excellent, arrived fat 'n flat, clean as a whistle and both play quietly with no noticeable surface noise whatsoever. Couldn't really ask for more ... except to know what the deal is with what vintage this album actually is. Is it truly remastered in 2015 or something from before, most likely being the previous vinyl reissue from a few years back. Doesn't really matter, this album is great, I'm covered as far as vinyl of ENDLESS WIRE is concerned. Just curious.

ted321, Clanceman and Vinyl Dude like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.