Have you ever been unable to open a jewel case after unwrapping a new CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

LOL! I struggle to close them!! Bloody strip seal things won't line up and click in all the way along!!!

L.P. and Finch Platte like this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow! I'm not the only one who has that problem?!

Seriously, those things never seem to line up all the way across for me!

Matthew Tate and graystoke like this.
  3. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

We need to form a support group!

4. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

The best way to remove them is to unhinge the front at the bottom, flip the front panel up, and then pull the sticker off the top of the back side in one continuous motion. From there, remove the sticker from the front half of the jewel case. No fingernail action required.

I rarely tear the security stickers when opening for the first time.

Farmer Mike likes this.
  5. PaulKTF

"Hi, my name is Paul and I can't close Ziplock bags".

"Hi Paul- try these!"

[​IMG]

6. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Talking about fingernails, i can't open CDs that are wrapped in cellophane with this strip you are supposed to pull off. What is this cellophane opening strip called in english? Easy to open with a knife, but very frustrating, if you do not have one near. Because you think you can do it with your fingernails, but realize you can't after a while.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  7. PaulKTF

I call it a big pain in the ass.

:)

I don't think it has a proper name.

8. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

I've had a similar situation many times. I've found it has to do with how you try to open the case. If you try to pry the case open like you would a pistachio, with two thumbs opposite each other at the center of the opening edge, the bending force makes the sides of the lid pull in and and the locking tabs latch down harder on the base or tray. The little locking tabs help to lock the case closed and keep the case from swinging open if you hold it upside down.

Look at the top right edge and you'll see a ribbed semicircle. On the opposite side (bottom edge) there is an identical ribbed semicircle. Place your left thumb on the bottom semicircle and your left index finger or left middle finger on the top semicirle. You have now grasped the lid of the case at the opening side with your left hand. With you right thumb at the center of the base or tray on the opening side, pull apart and the CD case will open with minimal effort compared to the pistachio method!

The CD jewel case is quite a clever design. Though I do wish they could have designed the center hub better from the start so the little fingers don't break so easily and make holding the CD in place impossible!!

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It's a ribbed area, who cares ?

10. PaulKTF

That's what she said! :(

11. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

The labels do not want to make to different packages for brick n' mortar and everyone else. Eliminating that strip wouldn't save them that much money. Also, having that bar code on the top, makes it easier scan the product for inventory and shipping.

12. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Ahemmm...

The best way to open a pistachio nut is with another pistachio shell; insert into gap, twist and pry-open.

There's nothing more delicious than indulging perfectly roasted pistachio nuts, but waking up the next morning with tortured thumb nails is for neophytes only.

:magoo:

Confession: my Turkish wife taught me that trick.

13. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

If you run the edge of a fingernail down the gap between the left side of the front cover and the dark or clear area where the jewel box hinges at, the cellophane usually splits pretty easy and you can get it off pretty quick. No weapons or chemicals required.

L.P. and Guy E like this.
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I've seen some that were at little tough to open, but I never had to break a case on purpose. I would have took some more quality time with it. Maybe bought it dinner. :)

15. PaulKTF

I whispered sweet nothings into its hinges.. I told it I loved the smooth silkiness of its edges, but it still wouldn't open wide for me. :(

Holy Diver and Guy E like this.
  16. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Flowers are usually good enough.

Holy Diver likes this.
  17. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

That's brilliant!! I'm going to try that out right now. This will certainly up my pistachio consumption!

18. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I had that happen with a new sealed LP this year. It was a a double LP. One of the LPs was missing. :(
    I was able to get it replaced. But feel bad for the record store that likely took a loss on fixing a problem that was due to the label or pressing plant.

I haven't had a CD jewel that wouldn't open. But I have had some difficulty with some CD packaging that stuffs the CDs in cardboard slots in the packaging. If the cardboard slots are too tight it is difficult/impossible to get the CD out without ripping part of the packaging.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

No...never had that experience. Thankfully.

20. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Hadn't thought of that one, but can see it would help manage inventory.

21. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

The worst culprits are 'slimline' doubles. We need to go back to t eh fat cases for doubles.

22. Sweet Cheerio

Sweet Cheerio Forum Resident

Just yesterday, I ripped the shrink wrap off of the jewel case of a brand-new CD, and it somehow tore off one of the hinges from the front lid! I hate jewel cases! I wish they'd never been invented. All CDs should have always come in mini-LP jackets. They look way better and take up so much less shelf space.

John B Good likes this.
  23. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I hate them. And you can't tell by looking whether they hinge from the spine or from the other side of the damn things!

ARK and Alan2 like this.
  24. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

These slimline doubles are mean. Usually one of the two CDs won't come out. If you try to pull gently you bend the CD horribly. Sometimes it's better to rip the CD out quickly. Sometimes it helps if you identify the little hook that won't let go, and try to push the CD away from that hook before lifting it.

Alan2 likes this.
  25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

If that happens to me I usually bring a sledge -hammer to open the darn thing. It helps a lot-and some.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.