Which would you say is greatest Concept/Theme album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

Jesus Christ Superstar

2. old school

old school Senior Member

In my opinion the best concept album is Gentle Giant's " In a Glass House " simply superb and very complex, one of the best albums from 1973!

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  3. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Procol Harum - "In Held Twas In I"

Theme just covers one album side, but it's got everything you need - fantastic melodies, groovy lyrics, pleasant vocals and cheeky guitars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Henryflowr

Henryflowr Honorary Toastmaster Emeritus Runner-Up

Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely

PsychGuy likes this.
  5. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

6. liammuc

liammuc Forum Resident

Die Toten Hosen - Ein Kleines Bisschen Horrorschau

This album is all about the movie "Clockwork Orange" and has great songs on it. Even if you don't understand German it is definitely worth a listen!

7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

With the people on this forum, it's no doubt already been mentioned - but I thought it would at least be worth giving it another thumbs up:

[​IMG]

I love this album. Lots of catchy tunes, set against a grim backrop.... Tim Rice helped with the lyrics.

8. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

That's a really great album and you were exactly right when you said to me it would take time but I'd get there with it... and I almost am. :D

It does require concentration and a lot of the best albums often do - I'll play it about once a month and more of it unfolds each time - there is a lot going on there. The musicianship is incredible and the only thing with it, it when I'm listening to it and properly immersed in it - it ends.

But then there is plenty more to investigate by them and I wouldn't say no to a couple more recommendations now. :)

old school likes this.
  9. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Tommy

can you hear me?

10. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

There's not a bad song on it, and it's good that the American market got all of these tracks in some configuration, but many were misled by the cover blurb that advertised songs from A Hard Day's Night into assuming that the title song was on it. The United Artists soundtrack was also on the market at the time, so many ended up buying 5 of the same songs twice. The album title and cover art were very unimaginative. The German language track was an interesting curio, but was apparently added as a filler (Capitol only gave us 12 tracks per album on Meet the Beatles and Rubber Soul. Otherwise, they insisted on only giving us 11). That's just my take on it.

11. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

This was my choice- the original concept album by the man that mastered the genre.

PsychGuy likes this.
  12. phillh

phillh Forum Resident

13. old school

old school Senior Member

These Gentle Giant albums are all essential in my opinion!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  14. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I think Days of Future Passed bears special mention because it's one of the most fully realized conceptual albums.
    Rather than being a collection of songs loosely based on an idea, it's made whole with a beginning, middle and an end.

Another of my favorites is Tales of Mystery and Imagination. One of the finest examples of literature being adapted into music.

Jeffczar likes this.
  15. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Watertown

16. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

I am amazed no one has yet mentioned any albums by Brian Eno! Too many to list though.
    Also not mentioned thus far:
    Robert Calvert: Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters (1974); Lucky Leif and The Longships (1975)
    Sally Oldfield: Water Bearer (1978)
    Jan and Dean: Save For a Rainy Day (1968)
    Kenny Rogers and The First Edition: The Ballad of Calico (1972)

But my all-time faves are:
    The Beach Boys: Smile
    Michael Nesmith: The Prison
    Rick Wakeman: Journey To The Centre of The Earth
    Jeff Wayne: War of The Worlds
    Klaatu: Hope

BTW Nesmith has actually said that the first three sides of his first three National band albums, "Magnetic South"; "Loose Salute" and "Nevada Fighter" form a concept album! Worth checking out.

17. Zombeels

Zombeels Forum Resident

Not a concept album.

Another vote for Klaatu - Hope

18. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Someone else may have posted this, but the story I've heard is that Pete Townshend put it the song about pinball because he knew the critic Nick Cohn was a big fan of pinball and he wanted a good review (he got it too).

wavethatflag likes this.
  19. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

The Kinks: VILLAGE GREEN PRESERVATION SOCIETY

20. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Tommy is simply a timeless story supported with wonderful music. I never understood why Rolling Stone Magazine back in 1987 (when there weren't as many albums compared to today) did not put Tommy in their top 100 all time best albums?!?! I guess Jann doesn't like Pete either.

21. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Probably, I think I've read that too, but I think the impetus to write the single came from Kit Lambert for the reasons you mention.

22. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

[​IMG]

This one. A concept album about going into space and travelling across the universe to find a new beginning on a new planet. Awesome.

Jeffczar likes this.
  23. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Many thanks for this - I've noted these now and think I shall probably start at the beginning, sometime very soon. And of course, I shall let you know how I get along with what I find. :righton:

old school likes this.
  24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

The debut is good, but Acquiring the Taste is where things start to get really interesting, IMO. They had a sound all their own.

25. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Echoes of the broadway everglades,
    With her mythical madonnas still walking in their shades:

dougb222 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.