David Crosby's Triad: Is it sexist?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Disraeli Gears, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It's like unofficial trash Crosby week on SHTV. Anyone want to say anything bad about liver transplants while we are at it?

krock2009, Les Nougat, zebop and 2 others like this.
  2. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Who cares quite honestly ?

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

What's wrong with being sexy??

4. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

It's groovy baby. Can you dig it?

5. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

When we chanted "Peace Now!" what we really meant was "(A) Piece Now!"

Beaneydave likes this.
  6. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

A product of the times, nothing more or less. Crosby was bold in dealing with the subject, regardless of the feelings towards the intent.

It's a beautiful song, nontheless, with some typical Crosby chords. Not a typical Byrds tune, however.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i knew a guy who actually had a triad, very strange indeed.

8. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

It was daring for its time. It was like Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, without Bob.

catman, zebop, Beaneydave and 3 others like this.
  9. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

See "When You Were Mine".

10. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

If this song is reality-based, then one of them was a guy.

11. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

The lines "I don't really see why can't we go on as three?" is a pretty straightforward invitation to a threesome as any, as well as the title ("Triad", which basically means threesome). It isn't about David and one chick and David with another chick. It is about the three of them. The song doesn't get into the mechanics of how sex in the family would work, but it very clearly implies that the relationship should be three-way.

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Don't you see "I don't really see why can't we go on as three?" really makes more sense in an invitation to keep the status quo going as is, two women in love with David, now knowing he has been carrying on with each, and David wishing to "Carry On" as is? I just don't hear it/see it the other way. The implication is that the love continue three-way, but not necessarily as a threesome, I never got "threesome" out of these lyrics myself. Ever.

Metralla and zobalob like this.
  13. Lonson

I admit that the line "Me and her or you and me" is ambiguous.

14. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

A one time sexual encounter between 3 people is a threeway.
    The word used to describe a relationship involving 3 people is "Thruple". I believe this is what is being proposed in the song.

15. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

Sorry, but I just don't see it any other way either. He isn't talking about two parallel relationships, he is talking about a new three-way relationship. There is a reason why "three" is a recurring theme in the song. How about the invitation "what we can do now is try something new?" He is talking about trying something new. Not status-quo.

16. Lonson

Having a relationship that is a man continuing to have a loving relationship with two other persons concurrently IS trying something new. Newer than a "threesome" actually.

zobalob and ralphb like this.
  17. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

Well okay, I'm not gonna tell you how to listen to the song. You are free to interpret it however you like. But I really think you are dismissing the notion of "three", which is what the song keeps emphasizing. I'd love to agree if I could, but I just don't see how.

18. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

I don't have time to check this right now, but I've always assumed he wrote "Triad" based on his relationship with Grace Slick and Paul Kantner.

19. Lonson

I don't see why you don't realize that "three" is just as pronounced in my interpretation as yours. I don't care if you agree or not, I don't interpret it as you do.

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

A guy having two (or more) concurrent relationships is as old as history itself.

Tensilversaxes and Dudley Morris like this.
  21. Lonson

Well, it certainly seems to be a newer concept than "threesome" seeing how many minds go THERE.

Hey, the song could well be about "threesomes" but it has never struck me that way. And even if it is about a "threesome" it's clearly (to me) about David wanting to go on in a relationship with all three, not just a sexual act.

22. So what happened with his old liver, anyway? I understand it had a street value of a quarter mil.

23. That title is wicked pretentious, too. "Come on baby, it's not a threesome, it's a...a triad."

24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

He was going to call it tripod but when they tried that position they kept falling over

elgoodo, timind, drasil and 3 others like this.
  25. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Well, the context being the whole '60s "free love" thing, which in hindsight was quite sexist, I'd say yeah. Honestly, I can't stand to listen to it. I can't stand most of David Crosby's work. But this particular song really annoys me. Very narcissistic, not exactly what I call "love."

Disraeli Gears likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.