American Idol - Season/Series 14, 2015 *****possible spoilers*****

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

American Idol, Season 14 started on the East Coast of the U.S. and Canada about 45 minutes ago.

Same crew is back from last season.

[​IMG][​IMG]

From left: Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez, Ryan Seacrest and Harry Connick Jr.

I know interest has dropped considerably over the past few seasons. Let's see if the show can kick it up a notch or 3 this year.

Discuss. :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

So far, so bad. Harry adds good crazy which I like but, beyond that, the auditions have been rather boring. Adam Lambert was almost stuffy and exhibited no real chemistry with Jennifer or Harry when he was on. I'm watching...but I don't know how long I'll hang on.

I will add that Jennifer going to her old home in NY and the owner not recognizing her at all was gold. She had absolutely no clue what to do and, after trying to tell him who she was, she just walked off. It must have been apocalyptic for her...LOL!

Oh yeah, and I haven't heard anyone singing-wise I care about at all yet.

Ed

3. dude

dude Senior Member

They have really dropped the ball at every turn this season. Production, editing and directing all seem rushed. The Voice is still really good at it.

4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

My daughter still watches, so I watch by default. Man they really crammed this week to fit an hour. Only one I really like was the girl who finished last night. Despite doing that Megan trainor song, she's just so natural and has something infectious about her. Her singing that is, not like mono. It always amazes me how by the time you get to the final 24, you wonder how some of the contestants got here because of how awful they are. The blue hair accordion girl gets points for being different, but it didn't make it enjoyable.

5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Wow. What has happened this season? Most of the top 12 guys and girls sounded horrible this week. Despite that, almost all of them received uniform praise from the judges. I expect that from Keith and Jennifer, but usually Harry is good at pointing out bad singing. I wonder whether he couldn't actually hear the performances he was judging since I honestly don't think he's so tone deaf that he would have praised so many performances that literally had me cringing. If he really could hear what the TV audience heard, then for whatever reason (pressure from the show's producers or simply a desire to be more supportive in the early rounds?) he was withholding the truth from many of these contestants who were basically shouting off key.

6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

There are few really good signers in this bunch. I like CLARK BECKHAM and TYANNA JONES. Jones is a star imo.

7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes to those two

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It's showing it's age. The shark was jumped long ago. Impressive star judges though.

9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I stopped watching two years ago. Too bad, was one of my faves. Liked X Factor but it too got bad in its last season. These shows were fun while they lasted. I wish Simon had stayed with AI. Everyone thinks they can go off on their own and be a star, forgetting it is often the sum of the parts that make a show work. Look at all the bands that have their leaders go off and do a solo album, usually to failure.

10. zen

zen Senior Member

American Idol’s original winner Kelly Clarkson returns this Wednesday (April 1st) to mentor, perform, and open her catalog of hits to the remaining vocalists.

I haven't watched Idol all season, so I haven't a clue if any of the remaining contestants are up for the KC challenge. ...I'll definitely DVR this episode.

11. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Generally speaking, no, these contestants aren't up for the challenge. Week after week, even the best performances are very karaoke-ish, even using Idol's standards. A few people at least get out of their heads and into their performances, but I wouldn't say that anyone this year is a really good singer. I'm not sure how it is that the competing show, The Voice, is actually able to attract some people who can get out on stage and perform so well while Idol seems stuck in mediocrity, but my ears tell me that's the way it is.

johnny q likes this.
  12. shokhead

I think there are a few good singers.

13. chacha

I think the judges are the best they've had on the show. I'm basically watching for them.

14. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

Wife is watching AI tonight, and I'm in the other room over hearing some of the vocals (really)...all I can say is how did these people make it this far? I don't hear any vocal range, no concept of pitch or vocal arranging, no talent. Most surprising is that the judges are loving everything, where is Simon when you need him

15. chacha

No concept of pitch? What does that mean- does everyone sound sharp or flat to you?

16. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I generally agree with your assessment of this season's talent (or lack thereof).

audiomixer likes this.
  17. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

flat

18. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Let the show die!

19. shokhead

TYANNA JONES can sing on any show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.