New "Ultimate Sinatra" collections coming April 21, 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David m bond

David m bond Forum Resident

We also have the blu ray releases as well in May so they add to the list, curious what they will have later.
    One of the guesses I had on of these hundred threads somewhere was a 50th anniversary edition of A Man And His Music, and I think I also said 100 songs box too, though let's be honest 100 songs in a box from multiple eras doesn't need a brain surgeon to guess correctly, to get the mastering correct perhaps...

Speaking of which Amazon have the samples of the 1 cd on the mp3 version of the page, I've only had a quick listen through my phone but I think some of the Concord masters are used for the Reprise stuff, but I can use my phone at the minute so can't be certain. Anyone had a listen?

2. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I've ordered the Australian 2CD version from ABC (thanks Bob for the link!). With international shipping it is 26,-€ - that's ok I think. The next problem is the 4CD edition... I want these unreleased bonus tracks, but not the same compilation again (maybe with those old Concord masters)...
    Too many versions/issues/editions...confusing!!!

Bob F likes this.
  3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  4. steveinphilly

steveinphilly Forum Resident

Bob, did that Getmusic site allow you a choice of "budget international shipping"? I am trying to ship to the US and it is not offering anything cheaper than $17 (Australian).

5. Bob F

That's the "budget" shipping option. :) It's $15.95 AUD at the ABC site. No tracking and uninsured.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  6. Bob F

Noticed from Universal Music Australia: The 4-CD deluxe edition includes a download voucher for four additional songs, as seen earlier at some other sites. I wonder if this is available only in certain countries?

Getmusic.com.au —> Ultimate Sinatra: The Centennial Collection - Frank Sinatra

Another little bonus from Getmusic —>

[​IMG]

7. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I'm hoping for nothing less than a "brick" of CDs in mini-LP jackets, like the complete Dylan, Miles Davis and Johnny Cash sets.

8. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

We need to find out Bob, the chase is on.

9. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Well, my thinking is that the full Sydney Concert might get an official domestic in the coming year. Sort of reminds me of the time that a Dean Martin concert from Lake Tahoe was released as a bonus disc for a deluxe edition of "Dino: The Essential Dean Martin."

Might also be the same case with the alternate versions of songs. A compilation of alternate takes might be on the way at some point?

Also, let's not forget that Europe gets the bonus download vouchers with each UMG Sinatra vinyl reissue as of late. But not the U.S.

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Too bad that nightclub performance from Cal-Neva was a truncated version. That was the first and only time I ever heard Mr. S introduce Dean during that "Summit" period.

11. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Didn't they release the full version of that concert in the "Collected Cool" set? Then again, the un-truncated version took the better part of a decade to get a legitimate release.

Oh, god. I guess I'm going to have to buy the Australian copy of the single disc set after all.

12. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

What is the shipping from the get music website to the USA.

13. Bob F

Cheapest option is AUD $17 for no-frills international airmail (no tracking; uninsured). Here's the breakdown in Australian dollars:

Ultimate Sinatra 2-CD: $22.99
    Less GST Tax: $2.09
    Plus AusPost International Airmail Shipping: $17.00
    TOTAL: $37.90

At today's currency conversion rate, that's abt. $29.00 in US dollars.

DmitriKaramazov and kennyluc1 like this.
  14. kennyluc1

Thank you Brother Bob.

15. Bob F

The 2-CD price at Getmusic has dropped slightly, and here's a blowup of the free bonus badges set:

[​IMG]

kennyluc1 likes this.
  16. Bob F

It is.

Chuck Granata and Nancy Sinatra premiered "Just in Time" on her Sirius/XM Nancy for Frank show last night. It includes studio chatter, with several false starts during recording of the track. The Billy May arrangement is completely different than (and inferior to) the released version which was redone ten weeks later. It's easy to understand why this version was suppressed, but fascinating to hear how it developed into the one used on the Come Dance With Me! album.

We now have all three originally-unreleased outtakes from the Capitol session of September 30, 1958. (Joining "The Song Is You" and "It All Depends on You," both of which appeared on the 1978 UK LP, The Rare Sinatra.)

17. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

There was a list with all alternate versions from the Columbia Years which were not included in the BBB. Maybe we're going to need such a list for the Capitol Years soon (I guess there aren't so many). I think there were some alternative versions on "The Rare Sinatra" and on "The Capitol Years/3CD box"...

kennyluc1 likes this.
  18. kennyluc1

Bob that type of list is right up your alley. I can't think of a better person for that, then you.

Bob F likes this.
  19. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

I find that very exciting and am now looking forward to this collection much more than I was when it was first announced. I don't really need or want all the retreads, but unreleased tracks are a big selling point for me. Thanks for the info, Bob!

20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Bob, did you notice if it was mono or stereo?

21. Bob F

No. I was listening in a noisy car. It will be on two more times this week.

22. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I know that's right around the cutoff...do you think that session would have had the distinct mono/stereo mic setups that characterized many of the 1956-58 sessions?

23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Live mixed sounding mono.

rangerjohn likes this.
  24. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Exactly! Stereo may have been 3-mics only, and may have been poorly executed. (3-mic stereo on Billy May stuff was challenging.) I've always said that the 3-mic era ended at Capitol "in the fall of 1958," but the cutoff date is right around the end of September, as far as I can tell, aside from an occasional re-visit to make a later session match an earlier one. (This came up, for instance, on an Ella Fitzgerald session done at Capitol for Verve.)

wave, MarkusGermany and DLant like this.
  25. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I'm assuming that this is the same track that appears on the CD version of Come Dance With Me! ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.