Van Halen to appear on Ellen Degeneres show April 2nd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zen

zen Senior Member

I'll DVR it. It'll be funny, I'm sure.

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Dave will be his usual laff-riot.

[​IMG]

3. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Yeah, the last two tours have basically been Greatest Hits tours, the last tour featuring 2 or 3 tunes from the then-new album. And frankly, the 2012-2013 tour milked most of the best deep cuts as well.

4. Bellagio Insider

Bellagio Insider Forum Resident

Rather they have a Deep Cuts tour.

5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

The probable result being the immediate cancellation of all planned Van Halen activities with Dave.

But I hope that doesn't happen. I get the impression from interviews that he's found a new humility, but I don't think he can help but display his "charazma".

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    Toby Benjamin likes this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

At this stage of the game, with no Michael Anthony and Roth's pulverized vocal chords, I'd rather they just hang it up. I don't need to hear bastardized live versions of songs that I can just as easily listen to on vinyl and they sound exactly like they always have. VH has, effectively, come to an end for me.

Kaelu and SizzleVonSizzleton like this.
  7. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Why would a band with only a handful of 'hits' do a 'Greatest Hits' tour? Especially without releasing a Greatest Hits album. Any tour they do is already going to have the actual 'hits' so it just seems like an irrelevant title. The new live album is from Tokyo, why not call the tour "Tokyo To the Moon"? This band is so bizarre. If Eddie gave as much time to Van Halen as he does to his gear development and sales they'd be a sight for sore ears!

As far as Ellen, I bet that despite Eddie acting like he's so shy and insecure, with his life with Valerie and whatnot I would guess that he's in with Ellen and that mainstream Hollywood crowd more than Dave ever thought of being. Not sure if they'll be interviewed as well but if they do I see Eddie getting a bulk of the attention, along with Wolfgang because of the obvious father/son angle. Better that way anyway, lord knows if Dave says 'hello' the wrong way Eddie will be handing out cups!!

GodShifter likes this.
  8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Exactly - just like when they walked out together at the awards show.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Agree. Will I go? Yup. Does it make a ton of sense to bill a tour as a "hits tour"? Nope - other than to entice patrons who might feel turned off by something supposedly in support of a new album.

They already did a tour without an album to support in 2007-08. And wasn't the 2004 tour with Sammy a tour meant to support a hits collection?

hi_watt likes this.
  10. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

And the Cradle Will Talk...

11. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

That's what I'm thinking. The last thing they need is DLR anywhere near a TV camera. He seems like he is like Dana Carvey, Jim Carrey, etc. where he can't help himself when is around a camera, always feeling the need to be "on" and ends coming off as an obnoxious jackass.

johnny q likes this.
  12. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Give Diamond Dave a microphone and step away. He's got it.

13. SizzleVonSizzleton

Van Halen should have done this live album like Alive II by KISS. Wikipedia says the live album is two hours long, so there would have been plenty of room to put five studio cuts. These studio cuts could be songs that were done when they made A Different Kind of Truth. I'm not buying this album, but I would if it included studio tracks.

It would also give them more angles to promote. Hey soccer Mom's, I'm in my 60's, here's a new cut called We Die Young, we die hard, We Die Bold!!!!

14. 007james

007james Forum Resident

Van Ellen, couldn't resist....

BeatleJWOL and hi_watt like this.
  15. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Yes, it's much better to hear about how Eddie started on drums and Alex started on guitar. That stuff is gold.

Spoiler: Alex got a paper route.

16. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

What about the childish posts about David Lee Roth?

Tree of Life and hi_watt like this.
  17. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Do they break any forum rules?

18. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I watched VH on Kimmel last night.

The good news: Ed looked and played great. He looked clean and sober. Only thing that was odd was his brilliant white teeth.
    Alex looked old, but played ok. Wolf looks like a man now, not a kid.

The bad: Where to start with Dave? He looked and acted like the creepy uncle that you won't leave alone with kids. Singing was fair to bad, mostly bad.

Is this what the mighty VH has become? Sad days indeed...

rburly and Purple like this.
  19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Wolf looks like a fat wolf!

20. SizzleVonSizzleton

Just watched Panama and Runnin With The Devil. I watched a livestream of Dance The Night Away as it happened last night. Funny I was checking out the comments of my old brothers and sisters at a VH site I used to moderate years ago. They were going off about how Dave is back to 2007 form and just overall wetting their pants at how the atom was being split.

Uh, Dave sounds the exact same as he did on the last tour. For anyone who doesn't know Dave cut his nose before he ever sang a note and they did most of Panama then stopped so he could get taped up and then they started over. There's raw footage of it on youtube. Huge props to Dave for how he handled it; did Panama bleeding then realized the problem needed further attention, apologized to the crowd, got fixed up and the show went on. Dave is a pro, no question about it.

But his insistence on singing outside his range is extremely frustrating for this fan. There's no reason for it, you can tell he can absolutely still sing and hold notes and all that. I wish he'd kept his hair buzzed right off, his baldness doesn't bother me at all (of course I'm a cue ball!!). Still can't help but look sideways at a man in late 50's getting that kind of tattoo work, but there you go.

Eddie looks great, played great. Although I think he heard something in the sound bouncing off the buildings and is releasing a new $5000 amp in his eternal chase for tone!

Wolfgang.... Somebody needs to love that man enough to help him get his weight under control. Eddie is rightly proud that the young man doesn't do drugs or drink, but he's abusing his body in what is perhaps a more socially acceptable way. Drugs kill, so do heart attacks!

Dear Van Halen; make a new album!!!!

21. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I was shocked to see Eddie strongly resembled Bob Seger with his beard. The performance was less of a train wreck than I envisioned.

22. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I really didn't think it was bad at all.

23. Toby Benjamin

Toby Benjamin Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Youve got charazma!

24. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

well there's a good trainwreck.

25. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Finally, someone recognizes the reference! You win. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.