Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Hmmm...But having posts complaining about others' posts is fine. :doh:

2. AnalogJ

But it IS relevant to a reissue series that is ostensibly state of the art. It IS a concern after the 45 series was virtually flawless, and the 33s have had a noted uptick in problems. We're talking about $35 LPs, not $10 ones.

My recommendation is not to criticize others' posts, but to post on subjects you'd like to see discussed.

For example, what has been your favorite Music Matters reissue, and why? :hugs:

SteelyTom likes this.
  3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

This is what the ignore feature is built for. I suggest we all use it and move on.

I think my next Music Matters purchase will be Wayne Shorter's Adams Apple. It's got his composition, "Footprints," on it, which I hummed to my infant son to calm him.

Davidmk5, JMAC, AnalogJ and 1 other person like this.
  4. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

I dont think anyone is suggesting that we ignore such issues, but rather they have their own dedicated thread rather than interrupt the flow of this one, particularly as most of the posts seem to be coming from the same person.

Anyone interested in the issue then knows exactly where to head and those not interested can carry on here as normal.

Tommyboy likes this.
  5. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I'm sure you have some very annoying issues here but it seems to me that they are not what this thread is about.

Why
    You're right Gabe. What "ignore" feature is that:laugh:

6. Billy boy

Billy boy Active Member

My favourite MM reissue? That's easy!

The Big Beat.

Because It's one half of both my MM 33's....but also because It's The Jazz Messengers and It's funky, soulful music.

Because I can feel the music as well as hear it.

Another thing that strikes me is the way this lp conveys the way Lee Morgan pushes and pulls his phrasing within the tempo.

I could go on....

mikeyt and antielectrons like this.
  7. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

We should be confining the discussion here to the music itself, as well as to quality control issues-- where those comments are positive only.

Me, it's a lot easier to read about silent pressings rather than non-fill, etc. I guess I'm sick about hearing about other people's problems.

So, if you have good news to share about MM, go right ahead! But if your feedback is negative, it will only bum people out, make them doubt their purchases, and cut into MM's bottom line. In short-- it has no place on this thread--- or the forum, period, imo.

8. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I think Gabe was referring to the forum feature that allows us to filter and hide all posts from individual members whose input we prefer not to see.

RE Wayne Shorter- I was perplexed that none of his Blue Note sessions were included in either the SACD or XRCD reissue programs. I'm eagerly looking forward to Speak No Evil when it comes out on 33rpm this fall. I would buy all of his Blue Notes (except perhaps All Seeing Eye) if MM released them on 33.

9. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I currently have the MM45 of Juju and Speak No Evil. Great album! I can't wait for the 33 so I can ditch the 45 ahha

10. antielectrons

Yes, I know the feature and use it myself sometimes.. But its not a solution to the off-topic comments about QC issues which are not posted by just one person (even if one person seems to be driving the issue here) and in any event you would stills see their posts quoted by other people.

My vote is for it to be taken to another thread.

11. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

As I've said before, I would like to see the thread continue to be open to reports of all impressions related to the MM releases, positive, negative, and in-between, and about both music and pressing quality. After all, if it were really just about appreciating the music itself, we could just have a Blue Note appreciation thread. But since this is about a specific reissue series whose whole point in existing has to do with sonic and pressing quality, restricting commentary about that would seem bizarre. I do think there are various posters (with various points of view) who tend to beat dead horses, but often their tendencies are exacerbated if not directly provoked by those who disagree with them in an equally relentless manner. Complaints about complaints, to me, are much further off-topic than complaints about the product under discussion. There are more than enough accolades about the product to counter-balance any complaints--so what's the problem?

jriems, SAMAUL, hvbias and 4 others like this.
  12. antielectrons

I could never really get into that LP, although I do love Wayne Shorter's work.

13. antielectrons

If you have received an LP with QC issues then I am sure most of us commiserate, but do we really need daily updates and the constant repetition? I guess I will just have to put analogJ on my ignore list, which seems a bit extreme, but there you go. He doesn't seem to want to listen to other peoples feedback about his posts....

Questhate likes this.
  14. antielectrons

Again, comment would be fine. But the suggestion is that it be in a separate thread thats all.

15. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Gave it a spin last night. Such a wonderful album. I totally agree about the elegant style and lush arrangements, and it was a perfect listen as I was winding down from the work day. I'll definitely spin it a few more times this week to really explore it.

NorthNY Mark and AnalogJ like this.
  16. Don Mason

Don Mason Member

Your Point is valid. The other valid point of view is that there is no copy of Maiden Voyage in existence that will meet analog J's standards.

Questhate and whaiyun like this.
  17. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Has anyone compared the 33rpm of The Big Beat with the 45rpm? For the most part I've been sticking with my 45's for duplicate releases, but I'm interested in seeing comparisons on the sound for this one. I enjoy the music a lot, but it's probably not one of my better sounding 45rpm titles.

18. AnalogJ

And how great to get it at that price!

19. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I don't have both to compare but I wasn't wowed as much by this release compared to the others. I very much enjoyed Ike Quebec however.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  20. AnalogJ

Don, that's such a stupid comment. Its only purpose is to belittle. How is it that I have five other Music Matters records that are fine.

I implore you to keep your posts to YOUR experiences. Otherwise, you'll be doing your share in keeping the type of posts you don't like alive.

2xUeL likes this.
  21. Thin Man

Thin Man Forum Resident

I, too, would like to hear about comparisons of the 33s to the 45s. I, too, have been sticking with the 45s for duplicate releases (if I already have the 45).

22. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Mailman just showed up with some 33's

Sonny clark - cool struttin
    Eric dolphy - out to lunch
    Ike quebec Blue & sentimental

Psyched !! :pineapple:

23. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Thanks!

24. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Although I think some of the comments / complaints about QC that have gone on here have truly run past their logical end; I cannot agree that we should only be cheer leading the virtues of MM. This is not the MM forums and I for one know many people who turn to these forums to get unbiased and sometimes unabashed comments about pressings, masterings, etc ... to only allow positive comments would turn this thread and forum into something else imho.

I don't think its too hard to expect people who have QC issues to post about them once and then to move on. It also shouldn't be too hard to leave the cheer leading to a minimum so we can get some real discussion about the releases not just hollering back and forth between two sides.

jriems, AnalogJ and GreatTone like this.
  25. antielectrons

I have sold my 45s that I had duplicated and used the cash to buy more records (mainly Prestige Mono re-issues). To my ears I prefer the 33s sonically (they are much more dynamic and clear sounding) and of course I prefer not having to flip the record so often.

2xUeL, Don Mason and whaiyun like this.