Led Zeppelin I Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dbleaman, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbleaman

dbleaman Active Member Thread Starter

Although I've always appreciated them as artists, I’m not a big Led Zeppelin fan. That being said, last weekend I picked up a copy of Led Zeppelin at a local garage sale, as the price was simply too good to pass on it. Please see the image here - http://imgur.com/r4OlRLi

I’ve visited Discogs to see what version this is. My initial research tells me this is an early copy of the album, but I am not 100% certain. Any insight you can provide me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

David

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thr gold sticker is a give away that its not a first press. But no big deal. How does it sound? Is the real question.

snorker likes this.
  3. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

edit: Sorry, did not notice that sticker. I think I spoke too soon.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  4. dbleaman

It sounds great!! Any idea as to when the record labels started including this type of sticker? That may help me in my search. Thanks.

5. dbleaman

Really.. An original pressing. Very cool. Thank you!

6. Thievius

Disregard my first post. I have to learn to shut up if I'm not 100% on something. Apologies.

7. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yes, that gold sticker indicates it is a bit later. I've seen it on other Atlantic titles, maybe into the 80s if I'm not mistaken. The deadwax information should provide some further evidence. Discogs is a pretty good resource for this.

8. dbleaman

No worries guys! I appreciate all of the feedback. Discogs is a great resource! However, with so many different releases of any one particular album, sometimes it can get a bit confusing. Regardless, I do appreciate the info provided. Thanks.

9. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

or at least the cover is later..

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's probably fairly early, but not a first press. The "Gold Record" stickers were put on albums back when having a gold record was still a big deal and there was no such thing as a "Platinum" album, so I'm guessing it was probably '71, '72. I can't see the picture you posted but another indicator would be the back cover - early pressings of LZ1 have a good-looking detailed photo of the band with an orange tinge. Later pressings have a bright yellow tinge and the photo has very little definition.

My guess is, you've not got a first pressing, but still a relatively early one. And I bet it sounds fantastic.

11. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

Would you mind copying the deadwax writing here? Since it's a later pressing, it's possible you could have a Piros-mastered copy, which I believe is a forum favorite.

12. dbleaman

I just took a look at the deadwax writing and it is the following:

Side One: ST-A-681461-A It also has the following letters engraved into the record LWP AT W
    Side Two: ST-A-681462-A It also has the following letters engraved into the record LWP AT W

To be honest, I have no idea what any of these letters and numbers mean, but would love to find out, if anyone can provide such info. Thank you.

13. Thievius

14. dbleaman

Wow!! You are good! At first glance, I believe that is it. Thank you very much!!

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

ST, I believe is stereo signifier. Other numbers are catalogue numbers. And some are numbering of the stamper. The LWP is plating info. "Long Wear Plating". The important thing, on the usa cuts anyway, are whether or not AT/gp are in the deadwax. George Piros mastered.

16. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Nice score.

17. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Found a decent RL HOTH last year at a yard sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.