In need of direction...Dual CS 5000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Honu, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Honu

Honu Active Member Thread Starter

Good evening all.

First and foremost, thank you to all who helped this newbie get started in this wonderfully joyful and simultaneously frustrating hobby. I finally added a turntable to the set up, in fact just today. I purchased a Dual CS 5000. The unit has been looked at by Vintage Audio in Aliso Viejo, CA and it would seem I am very lucky at the condition it is in...with the exception of the cartridge.

I played a few records already and am stocked. At the end of the 5th, I noticed an odd sound. I stopped playing, lifted the arm back in place. As I looked at the cart and stylus I noticed the 'needle' was almost completely recessed into the cart. It currently has a Shure VN35HE. I think it may be time to replace it...

After reading what is posted here it would seem people have a number of recommendations with regard to brand and or replacement of cart vs replacement of stylus. I am a simple guy looking for a simple fix. I am hoping someone can give me some direction as to which cart to match with this in the $100 range and how that recommendation may effect the sound. I know, $100 is not much but it's a start and all I have after purchasing the unit.

Thank you in advance for any direction you can offer me.

Respectfully,
    Kevin

2. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Ortofon OM series was the stock cartridge for this turntable, and suits it best IME. Most records will actually sound fine with a 5e, for your best discs a 30 stylus should sound amazing.

Honu likes this.
  3. Honu

Thanks Shak.

This is my first 'real' turntable. The last one I owned was circa 1986 (ironically the same year this Dual TT was built) that was an all in one cassette, turntable, tuner and speaker unit. I have read that this was the stock cart when the TT was new. How does this compare to either the Ortofon 2m Red or the Shure m97xe I keep reading so much about?

Thanks again. I appreciate you time and help.

Respectfully,
    Kevin

Shak Cohen likes this.
  4. I've had this table since 86. I recently got an rp6 to replace if but I still love it.

Mine has the wood base. I have an older grado cart that was around $400 and recently replaced the stulus ($100). Sounds pretty good but when I set up a second vintage system I'll replace the cart again.

More than your budget but it's a nice table.

[​IMG]

5. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I'm a long time user of a Dual CS-5000. Recommend the Ortofon OM series, of course, since they were supposed to be used with this table.

I've also had really great results with a Nagaoka MP-110 - great tracker and reduces the click-n-pops quite a bit compared to some other carts I've heard.

Honu and Shak Cohen like this.
  6. Honu

Thanks Mazzy.

I have the same table. In fact, based on this picture it is the exact same (save your cartridge). I think one of the most beautiful tables I've seen.

Mazzy likes this.
  7. Honu

Thanks dividebytube.

If you had to choose one, which one would it be first?

I have seen so much written about the Shure m97xe and the Ortofon 2m red that I am surprised not to see those recommended first. But also, I don't know how many (if any) of the reviews I read were paired with this particular table. I knew the people on this forum would steer me in the right direction!

Thanks again dividebytube. I appreciate you time and help.

Respectfully,
    Kevin

8. Shak Cohen

Just out of curiosity, could I ask if you by chance knew the capacitance on Nagaoka carts? Is it 275pf+ like Ortofon, Shure etc. or 100-200 like Audio Technicas?

9. Shak Cohen

The 2M is not ideal for the Ultra Low Mass tonearm that the Dual has.
    The Shure is a better mechanical match but is probably too warm sounding to go with the Dual, which already has a smooth sound.
    Combining the two could give you quite a bland sound that is lacking excitement and crisp dynamics.

Honu likes this.
  10. Honu

Thanks Shak.

That really helps me understand things better. As this will be my first cart change...any suggestions for a newbie before I totally screw things up; things I need to have to make the change a success (tools, kit, etc...) OR things NOT to do?

Again, thank you.

Respectfully,
    Kevin

11. Shak Cohen

Hi Kevin,

You're welcome.
    It shouldn't be too difficult.

You can detatch the headshell to mount the cartridge (with a small screwdriver), put it back on the tonearm, loosen the screws a little and align it using an Ortofon protractor. I would set the tracking force and anti-skating the same (1.75 for OM5e).
    To check you have mounted the cartridge completely straight use one of those little bubble sized spirit levels.
    For setting VTA (how high/low the stylus will sit on a record) I find German Deutsche Grammophon LPs do the job just fine, though you might need to raise tonearm height when playing 180 or 200g LPs.

Shak

Honu likes this.
  12. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Couldn't find the capacitance of the Nagaoka MP-110. Seems to be a bit of a mystery. Sounds good with any preamp/integrated I've thrown at it. It's one of those sleeper carts - I really do prefer it over the 2M Red (heard on a different table, mind you) or the budget AT95E. The MP-110 has a very nice treble, a great tracker, and the diamond seems to age really well. I play 3-4 hours of music a day on mine - finally replaced the first stylus after a year even though I couldn't hear any difference; just paranoia.

A protractor and stylus gauge are needed tools, along with a small screwdriver and steady hands. I actually get by with a printed out protractor (printed on cardboard stock). My middle-aged vision is making these chores worse and worse!

13. Honu

Thanks Mazzy.

I just reread your post and see you have a Grado cart in it. Do you like the Grado sound compared to others you have listened to? Curious to know how a Grado in the same price range would compare and the Ortofon OM10? I have a grado dealer in the area and thinking of going that route.

Respectfully,
    Kevin

14. Frankly I've never tried a different cart on that table but I plan to this sumner. Sorry I'm no help there

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The AT 95 works well in Dual TTs if you want a cheap but decent cartridge. Complements the warm (dull) sound.

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The AT 95 is too low compliance for this Dual. In Audio-Technica, the AT 120E or the AT 440 MLa or AT 150MLx.

17. Honu

No worries Mazzy. Thought it was worth a try.

18. Honu

Thanks for the input Classicrock.

Was wondering about Audio Technica sound.

19. Honu

Thank you McLover.

How do these compare to the Ortofon OM10?

20. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Shure's and Duals have long been paired together (as well as the Ortofons). I'll throw something different out and suggest a Shure M97XE, under $80 and high compliance, IIRC.

21. Honu

Thank you DLD.

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Shure M97xE is another very recommended choice for Dual low mass tonearms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.