the worst drummers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by redfloatboat, May 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. junk

junk Hellion

Well damn! That about figures. :doh:

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Do you like the Stones?

stef1205 likes this.
  3. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

Michael Anthony's backing vocals are one of the most underrated "role player"impacts on a major band, IMO.

4. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

I sure wish I could attain a net worth of $175 million by being bad at my job like Lars.

5. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Another great AVH performance..

6. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

Joe "Mama" Besser

[​IMG]

mx20, A. Scrounger and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  7. recklessczar

recklessczar Forum Resident

I have always been a great fan of Mitch Mitchell. When he plays on a 5 pc set on AYE incredible!! His playing on Hey Joe, Manic,Love or Confusion,3rd Stone Fantastic!! Everything on ABAL is perfect. It was only when Mitch went to double bass that thing got clumpy.IMO

Clarkophile likes this.
  8. Sweet Cheerio

Sweet Cheerio Forum Resident

Joey Baron?

9. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I don't think its fair to call him horrible or the worst but the improvement from Tony McCarroll to Alan White in Oasis was light years

His technique was just so awkward to watch..

CrombyMouse likes this.
  10. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

I guess because I always thought it was Michael Clarke and perhaps having that name hanging in my head the whole time biased my judgement so that I nitpicked the drumming closely looking for faults. So ultimately I'm feeling a bit guilty for sticking the boot into poor old Michael once again. I'm a cruel bastard like that.

Regarding the performance itself and specifically that fill - it just sounds clunky to my ears.

In defence of Clarke, his drumming on "Eight Miles High" is pretty good.

CrombyMouse likes this.
  11. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

now that takes guts and I respect the opinion offered.

OK... that drum roll after the solo in In My Time of Dying is the sound of THOR proclaiming the reign of the Gods.... but......

12. BeatlesObsessive

this is the guy who played live with Elvis from 1970 onward. don't know much about him but I think he's fantastic from what I've seen in that documentary about Elvis rehearsing for his first Vegas show. the story about him playing to Elvis's cues and the practice of such is hysterical! too good to be true but it is!

13. BeatlesObsessive

Always wondered why they didn't have BOTH Chris Partridges on at once.... after all wasn't the show on at the height of glam! Can you imagine the blond Chris and the terrified looking Chris sitting there in space suits drumming for Keith like they were the Spiders From Mars!

14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I guess, but the total lack of skill sort of renders that moot for me.

I think he fit The Jam alright, but there's definitely a lot of moments on Jam LP's where I notice how stiff his drumming is, and wonder what it would've sounded like with a drummer actually capable of grooving a bit. But Jam tunes never really sounded right with Steve White, either...somewhere in between the two, perhaps.

15. Sweet Cheerio

Sweet Cheerio Forum Resident

I actually like the way they sound. I hang on every note. But then again, I love a wide variety of music--including experimental dissonance and the occasional shambling mess like Jandek.

16. BeatlesObsessive

You went THERE and mentioned the great Stan Lynch HIMSELF... the drummer whose personality clashes with his former bandmates made the world safe for that Jeff Lynne Wilbury sound that we were goin' to the end of the line with(I forgive Jim Keltner for being dragged into this...ooops... ANOTHER name that doesn't belong in this thread)!

17. Ditmasduke

Ditmasduke Forum Resident

I love the Stones. If they had a better drummer they could easily be a favorite. Watts sounds like he puts little effort into creating interesting material, and little effort into playing. The the rest of the band is thankfully picking up his slack.

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Actually, Blaine didn't play on that many Monkees tracks. Most of their early hits featured Billy Lewis. Headquarters was all Mickey Dolenz, and their main drummer after that was Eddie Hoh. Blaine did play on various tracks throughout their career, but he was at best the fifth or sixth most prolific Monkees drummer.

19. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

Without a doubt, Patrick Carney - The Black Keys

As weak as it gets. Never before has an act headlined MSG that had such "professional" musician at that low a level in their band

20. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

exactly what i think too!

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It's all good :)

Sprocket Henry likes this.
  22. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

For some reason Clarke gets asked to be in the Flying Burrito Brothers, I'm assuming that Hillman had a central role in the band so he must have had some redeeming features surely.
    Also not sure if any of the Byrds were on If I could Only Remember My Name, presumably not.

mike's beard likes this.
  23. Steve Bromsgrove

Steve Bromsgrove Former Pressing Plant Employee.

24. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Sorry, big I just gotta have a swing at this dead horse. Alex is far more than a time keeper. Some of his fills are brutal. Check out "Dreams" for a brief example.

You make a statement of solid fact, and then you qualify it as hearsay. Even if true, it is the sign of a solid professional to use all the tools at his disposal. Not sure what your friends remember, but I know for a fact that Brian May uses tape delay, or whatever that effect is. It's an effect that I love, and I applaud anyone who does this. I think it would be a difficult adventure to play to that every show.

25. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

You know nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.